Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Azar
Funny, I was thinking he sounds a lot like Duquensebeer.

It is Douchebeer. Same initials, same bullchit, and she registered the same day douchebeer stopped posting..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Good question dober. He has never had a magnum before and has been wanting a 300 win mag. He has 3 or 4 30-06's and I tell him you can almost get 300 velocities with the new light mag and superformance loads. I think a good step up to elk would be the 338. I have both and favor the 338 over the 300. I'd like to hear others opinions though. Thanks.

Since he's already got '06s in the stable, if he needs another gun, I'd suggest buying something usefully bigger rather than just a little faster but same bullets.

+1 for the .338.

Honestly, while I would not start out and buy an '06 specifically for elk, once I had one, I'm not sure I'd really feel a lot of need to buy something else just for regular hunting, I might instead pick up a specialty package .. say a Sendero .. or have something built. It's a want, not an overwhelming need.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the realistic (versus Daniel Boone/Duquesne fantasy) problems these days is the overlap between the .30-06 with modern powders and bullets and the smaller .300 magnums. I have killed a number of animals with both, out to 450 yards or so, and have yet to find a definable difference.

Today we can push a very high BC 165-168 grain bullet from the .30-06 to basically the same velocities as as 180 from the .300 WSM or .300 Winchester Magnum. There just ain't that much difference, either in trajectory or when they hit game.

The .338 is a great cartridge, but I used it for a lot of hunting in both North America and Africa for about a decade and finally came to the conclusion that 200-210 grain bullets killed stuff better, including elk and similar-sized game. This isn't conventional thinking, but that was my experience.

With that range of bullets weights the .338 has a very similar trajectory to the smaller .300 magnums with 180's (or the .30-06 with 165's and 168's). Recoil is pretty similar as well.

We can parse hundredths of an inch or 20-50 grains of bullet weight endlessly, but my experience is that all artridges three cartridges will kill most big game neatly if we point the rifle right. If there is any advantage in killing power, it lies with the .338, but it won't make up for not shooting straight.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I didn't realize anybody would actually take that post seriously.

Again, of these two the 338 winchester is the best elk rifle. That comes from nearly 40 years building rifles and seeing a few hundred elk and large big game shot with everything anyone could imagine.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just got home from work guys and I see no one is fighting or arguing too much over this thread. I am seeing a lot of excellent suggestions, but I think it looks like a teeter totter and half of you are saying 300 and the other half the other smile. I'll fill you in on the rifles he has and I don't think converting any of them as one person suggested is an option. He's got his meat and potatoes rifle that he's had since he was 11 years old: A sporterized 1903 springfield that is a beauty and a real tack driver, a full military dress m1917 that he says he wants to keep that way, and lastly a pre 64 model 70 (did some of your ears perk up when I said that?). He's asking me to sell that one on gunbroker for him, but I need to research it a little more before doing so. It was made in 1948 and is considered a transition rifle. I wish I could say it is as nice as mine, but it isn't becasue it has been beautifully restored: Polished bluing (even the reciever, like to beat the smith that did it!!!), polished bolt handle, refinished stock with aftermarket recoil pad. The rifle looks like new, but we know all these things hurt the value of this rifle. He wants to take the proceeds of this sale and purchase a magnum of some sort since he's never had one before. You guys have been very helpful and I like the fact that some are even bringing up the 300 short mag varriations too. All is appreciated, BSA.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 30/06 That hasn't made an elk hunt yet but also bought a winlite in 338 win mag for elk hunting where grizzly are present. Besides the fact that I wanted to step up in bore size. Next year I want to use the 06 for elk (lightweight),assuming I get to make that hunt, I plan on packing in so the lightweight will be a big plus. I also want to hunt Idaho or Montana in the near future , on those type hunts the 338 will go. I think I would be more comfortable carrying a bigger bore rifle in those areas. Main reason is that I have no experience with bears and in case I get myself in a rough patch maybe I can shoot my way out. I know that's kinda silly but hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Silly maybe?

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Definately splitting hairs with this one. I have shot 2 moose and a Dall sheep with the 338 and 8 deer with a 300 win mag. I would definately take either one for elk. If I had 3 or 4 30-06s Id probably get a 338 though. My first rifle was a 338 and though I dont have one now I do like the 338.

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” Tolkien
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have killed truck loads of elk way out yonder to over 500 yards will the silly, wimpy 165 grain bullets shot out of a .30-06. They crumpled quite nicely every time. Only had to track one, because I muffed the shot at 8 yards (they are big in a 9x scope). I tried the .300WM and didn't like getting bumped on the brow with uphill shots. For me, the .300's took too much concentration on my part to keep from getting a magnum eyebrow. I don't care what the magnum chest pounders think, but the .300's do come back quick and sharp. The .338's offer a slow but hard push and do require even more concentration, to avoid the magnum eyebrow. 95% of hunters can't shoot either one very well, due to flinching in field conditions. I found neither caliber offered me anything over a nicely put together .30-06, especially for elk. I now mostly shoot a 7mm magnum. The trajectory is flatter than any .300 or .338 and the recoil is substantially less than any .300 or .338. I have killed several truck loads of elk with the 7mm mag and love it, but a close second is still the wimpy workhorse .30-06. If you need more than a .30-06 or 7mm mag, you need a LOT more and neither the .300's or .338's offer a substantial step up, but that is just my opinion ;o)Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
BSA, we can either thank Jordan or curse him, but he prodded me into actually noticing that Ballistic (on my iPhone) will make these Convenient Visual Aids, which I can then easily upload & post. God help us.

This is what I meant when I mentioned how similar they CAN be in trajectory with bullets chosen for their longer-range prowess. Of course the 300wm would be flatter with light bullets, but this shows two high-BC, excellent bullets at what I believe to be easily reachable speeds. I get these speeds anyways.

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Uh, who cares?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Damn, Brad, you beat me to it!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Damn, Brad, you beat me to it!

Well, great minds, etc... grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Meany-heads! grin

I don't, but I can about warrant that BSA's buddy puts much stock in trajectory just from BSA's description of the fellow. There's this perception that a 300 WM is some sort of laser while a .338 lobs 'em. Not so.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Meany-heads! grin

I don't, but I can about warrant that BSA's buddy puts much stock in trajectory just from BSA's description of the fellow. There's this perception that a 300 WM is some sort of laser while a .338 lobs 'em. Not so.

Jeff, neither are a laser and both kill the same. Promise.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And dotz equal it all out... wink

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dude. I own both. The above isn't for you, it's for BSA's buddy.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
And dotz equal it all out... wink

Dober

Yep!

And that's why I think "cartridges are more alike than different!"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dude. I own both. The above isn't for you, it's for BSA's buddy.

Jeff, I've taken elk with both. There isn't any real-world difference.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not saying there is, other than that I muchly prefer .338-flavor recoil to the 300WM variety.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not saying there is, other than that I muchly prefer .338-flavor recoil to the 300WM variety.

How many elk have you taken with both?

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (160user, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 21, 56 invisible), 2,606 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,372
Posts18,527,406
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.