Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Was poking around Sinclair's web site and saw those little arbor presses.

This

What's the story on them? Can a guy use one to do all his reloading or is it basically enough to neck size a few rounds at the range etc to keep shooting?

Me

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by teal

This

What's the story on them? Can a guy use one to do all his reloading or is it basically enough to neck size a few rounds at the range etc to keep shooting?

It fits in the back of a PU real well, easy to use at the range. Alot of BR guys will load the same brass between shoots. I have seen alot of these in that situation. Fairly nice rig

Swifty

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great for using LE Wilson neck sizing dies and inline bullet seaters. I use 'em all the time for load work on the spot, especially to take prepped and primed cases to the range to work on powder and seating experiments.

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I was wondering about using it as my only reloading rig.

Somehow I've managed to lose my entire RCBS Rockchucker kit in my last PCS (4 years ago and finally have the room to set up again).

Wasn't too bad as it hadn't expanded beyond the kit much. Thinking about replacement it all.

Dillon is interesting but a progressive - don't think I NEED a progressive.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Personally, I would not use it as my one and only. As stated earlier it is a good at the range press, but for home use I have a rockchucker for rifle, and another rockchucker with piggyback II progressive for pistol work. Cant really beat a good rockchucker,redding or other bench type press. Progressive or not really just depends on your particular needs, or wants.

Swifty

Swifty
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was wondering about using it as my only reloading rig.

You can't full length size with them.

If you only shot puss loads, you may get by, but I wouldn't bank on it.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Teal - have been using a little RW Hart arbor press for years. I use it for most of my .308 loads, all of my .25-06 loading and all of my .204 Ruger loading. I shoot a lot of .308 Win, for some long-range competition, and practice. Max loads for it and the .25-06 hunting rifle.

It only neck-sizes. I'm getting good brass life, even with full power loads, and good accuracy. I still use the ol' Rockchucker for much of my loading, but for those three cartridges, most of my loading is done on the arbor press, with the Wilson dies.

I'll see if I can scare up a few photos...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Not using wimpy loads at all! grin The .25-06 is pumping out a 115 at 3200 fps and I've used it to make one-shot kills on mule deer at 400 yards. The .308 is punching a 155 to 2850 fps and a 168 to 2730, shooting "high master" scores in 600 yard prone competition, and my standard .204 load churns up 3,900 fps with a 35 grain Berger varmint bullet.

I don't know that the Arbor press & Wilson dies actually produce better ammo than high quality match-type dies from a conventional press. Doubt it. But it is a fun way to handload and does produce good ammo.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's my Sinclair I bought back in the 80's.

It's loaded a billion rounds. grin

[Linked Image]

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks - don't think I'm gonna go with an arbor press. How the hell I managed to lose a complete Rockchucker kit is beyond me.

Me

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still have one from when I used to shoot bench rest.

I, and most of the other shooters re-loaded the same brass for each match. We used neck size dies with brass neck turned so that we didn't have to neck expand.

I don't think you could even neck expand a case with an arbor press, but yes, they are great to take to a range when testing different combinations of bullets, cases, and powder and primers.

And using the individual cases for each individual rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you like using the inline seaters but want a FL sizer then a combo press is one way to go. Harrels precision makes one that is okay. It works great for smaller cases like the PPC or BR.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
How I managed to lose a complete Rockchucker kit is beyond me.

Wow, I think I'd put out an a.p.b. on that !

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Its no rock chucker but if space is limited take a look at this.

http://huntingtons.com/

HDS COMPAC RELOADING TOOL
This unit is designed with the Back Packer, Black Powder Shooter, Bench Rest Shooter, and those that require a small portable reloading tool. This unit is made with high quality aircraft aluminum and steel parts. This unit accepts any 7/8�-14 dies and standard shell holder heads. The tool works especially well with window type seating dies. The unit can be mounted on a bench. If space and portability are important to you, this is your kind of tool. Size 3-1/2" x 9".

I have used one for years loading at the range. Works well if the sizing job is not to tough. Bear

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a B-Square Arbor Press, and when I bought it I looked at what was available, and decided the B-Square was the best due to it having twin columns. I've been using it regularly for the last 10 years for all of my bullet seating, using Wilson seaters, or custom made seaters similar to the Wilson's.
I have Wilson's neck dies also, however I use a rawhide mallet to deprime and neck size brass.
Take a look at all of the Arbor Presses available and see which you like best.
I attribute a WHOLE lot of the accuracy I get to Wilson Seaters. Other factors are important too, but straight line seating is one of these factors.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Agree on the in-line seaters.

Just for the heck of it, I sized a batch of .308 brass on my Rockchucker, and another batch with my Wilson dies/Arbor press. There was little difference in 600 yard accuracy as long as I seated the bullets with the Wilson seater die.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

This

Talk about being dumb as a box of rocks! This is funny if you think about it long enough!! Hope you had too much to drink when you posted this.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks - don't think I'm gonna go with an arbor press. How the hell I managed to lose a complete Rockchucker kit is beyond me.

Probably the best thing to do in the long run. I only use my arbor press for bullet seating (no Wilson dies - cheap old Lee Hand Loader dies) and for working up loads at the range.

For reference - my arbor press.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Those old Lee Loader dies are pretty cool. Amazingly similar to the Wilson dies. I've still got a couple of sets of those old Lee Loaders.

Guy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes sir, cool and handy. After shootin up all the loaded ammo, I have been known to sit in the ranch house or hotel room loading with the Lee's for the next day PD shoot. grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

254 members (257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 29aholic, 264mag, 32 invisible), 2,298 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,501
Posts18,490,489
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.