Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
My worst nightmare would be taking a 1k poke at an animal, and then trying to find a blood trail when the animal ran off after a less than perfect hit. Now where was the animal standing when I pulled the trigger?

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Your spotter! it works every time.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I know what you mean. I haven't shot big game at 1K, but trying to find a specific prairie dog hole out on the prairie is a PIA. You'd definitely better locate a land mark or better yet a spotter talking you on to the location.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calvin
My worst nightmare would be taking a 1k poke at an animal, and then trying to find a blood trail when the animal ran off after a less than perfect hit. Now where was the animal standing when I pulled the trigger?

My worst nightmares always involve women....and then my wife shows up.

Get a GPS. Mark the spot you are shooting from and get a bearing for direction, you already have the distance.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The problem is, everyone thinks they are an expert already and are unteachable. If a person is truly willing to learn and listen, they have a complete blast behind good equipment. I have seen a lot of smiles come from teachable people. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Last summer I started shooting a .270, a Cooper model 52 Custom Classic, a standard weight sporter. Using a Zeiss Conquest, 4-14 and 135 grain SMK's. I'm getting 2910 fps and according to Sierra's data the bullets have a BC of .488. I have been shooting marmots out as far as 749 yards from a bipod. I didn't shoot just one, my total take for the two weekends I got out were 7 at ranges from 600 to 749. I'm not sure how much more elevation I'm going to get out of the scope with the standard Talley rings and bases, but I intend to keep extending the range until I run out. At that point I'll have to do something to build in more elevation. I have shot this rifle only as far as 550 yards on paper, but I'm getting .4 moa accuracy out there. I believe I could shoot coyotes out at 1K with a little more elevation in my scope mounts, and the addition of a sand bag at the butt of the rifle. May need to lighten the trigger a bit too. Right now it's at 3# as the rifle is set to hunt big game.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've seen lots of folks that thought they were good; until they laid down prone from 1000 yards and tried shooting a M1874 Sharps rifle shooting 720 gr. all-lead cast bullets using 116 grs. Swiss 1F blackpowder using aperture sights front and rear! Most KNOW SQUAT about aperture sights because most of the younger generation doesn't know anything but current scope usage and couldn't even hit the mainframe on which the bull is hung in the below photo; this after much instruction on sight usage and proper position! Most of the 'super-duper' cartridge shooters today don't have to worry much about holding elevation once a zero is established however that doesn't hold true shooting bullets that are only leaving the muzzle at possibly 1350 fps; 3200 fps is a lot easier! However with a black powder cartridge rifle...it's a whole new ball game to the extent that not only is wind a major problem but the wind also plays a huge part in holding the right elevation. Most modern shooters would embarrass themselves to the point whereby they'd have a sore foot from kicking stuff around for their embarrassment! Here's a group I shot a while back with my C. Sharps M1874 Sharps from 1000 yds. The overall diameter of the black bull is 44"; the diameter of the inner plate is 20"...same size as the 10 ring on the NRA LR Palma target. I dropped 3 shots off to the right however had I made a windage adjustment all would have been back toward center. When I am testing a load I don't care squat about what the horizontal dispersion is because basically what I'm looking at is the amount of vertical dispersion! This vertical averages about 8". There are 10 shots here.

[Linked Image]

Excuse me! I said I dropped 3 rounds off the 10 ring plate but closer examination shows that one of the two at the upper right 'nicked' the edge of the 10 ring so I only dropped 2 off the 10 ring.

My range on a cold morning! This was taken from the 1300 yd. line with a Canon camera at 17X.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Sharpsman; 12/28/10.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (35, badwolf, 257 mag, benchman, BDR1, 5 invisible), 1,441 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,058
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.