-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Taking off tonight to meet up with Badger,early in the morning for a weekend of Hog Hunting. Hope to get some more Pork Chops for the freezer and another Head for the wall.<P>E4E, Will toast a Castle for you.<P>Cheers...Littlebit<P>

James
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Good luck with that pea shooter of yours [Linked Image]

Shoot Safe, Shoot Often

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
alot of my friends are quite accomplished hog hunters. I never really got into it myself. <P>I don't know why you would want to get up in the morning to go. my friends usually bag one pretty late at nite around closing time at the bar or towards the end of a frat party. <P>but they don't often get any trophy ones but they seem to have good luck with getting big ones. I think they go for the first legal one they can bag. I think in the morning sometimes they wish they had not bagged anything and gone home empty handed. and make sure to wear some latex protection when "skinnin" them, wouldn't want to get any diseases.<P>well good luck and I'm not going to comment on the pea shooter.<P>------------------<BR>"and I ain't got no money but I damn sure got it mad cause I ain't askin nobody for nothing if I can't get it on my own. If you don't like the way I'm livin you just leave this long haired country boy alone"<BR>Charlie Daniels<P>"I got a shotgun a rifle and a 4 wheel drive and a country boy can survive" Hank jr.

"and I ain't got no money but I damn sure got it mad cause I ain't askin nobody for nothing if I can't get it on my own. If you don't like the way I'm livin you just leave this long haired country boy alone"<BR>Charlie Daniels<P>"I got a shotgun a rifle and a 4 wheel drive and a country boy can survive" Hank jr.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My rules......<P><BR>I get the gun, he gets the spear [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]...... badger.<BR><P>------------------<BR>Keep the traditions alive, take your child hunting.....

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh sure [Linked Image] wait until Mike has to go outta town for a few days to go Piggy Pokin' I see how it is now [Linked Image]<P>I hope you guys kill a biggun!!!<P>Rabid

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Badger, Littlebit, -- Would you believe Boggy's boys are catching these s-uckers by hand over here in South Texas. He was so kind to offer and let me catch one. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] His boy got the end of his finger bit off last time, and the time I went I saw what that bore did to the lead dog, ole Blue looked like a patchwork quilt when he came back from the vet. By the time I ran through the brush and briers to get to them they would have to hold me up to shoot one. I noticed Boggy kept the seat on the 4 wheeler nice and warm while all the shouting was going on, think he has done this before. The fun part of the hunt is riding behind him on that kangaroo, the way he crosses creeks and jumps over things you don't know if you need a life jacket or parachute. One thing for sure you need a small light rifle, next time I carry a pistol so I can hold on with both hands. You know, now that I think about it, wrestling that hog might not be any worse than the ride. -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm jealous. Hog hunting in the wild. Sound's like fun. Wish there was wild hog's running around Michigan. Last weekend the wife and I went on a Russian hog hunt at a game ranch. We both took nice hog's. They had 200 ac. enclosed for hunting with lot's of swamp. Wife was a little nervous when we found some that were doing alittle fighting but she did alright. She shot her's with a .380 and I shot mine with a .44. Had alot of fun and am looking forward to some great meat for the freezer. Let us know how you fellow's did.<P>poleman

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry, wife shot her's with .308. Brain sometime's goe's too fast for finger.<P>poleman

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just walked in the door. Had a great time this weekend hunting hogs with Badger!<P>We both got a young "meat" hog for the freezer. Saw several deer and 5 hogs. <BR>Had a blast chasing the porkers around the swamps. <P>Badger, you da man [Linked Image]

James
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a great time. Littlebit, I need to talk to you 'bout that peashooter of yours. I think its time to step up to something with some real firepower [Linked Image] badger.<P>------------------<BR>Keep the traditions alive, take your child hunting.....

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Hey guys! I am planning my first Hog hunt ever. I am looking forward to a real good time. My dad and I and hopefully another friend of mine are going to GA to a Ranch to hunt hogs. What caliber rifle gun did you guys use, how far was your shot? I want to know what weapon I should bring and ammo type to pack. Would the standard "deer" bullet construction work, or do you need a penetrator like for "elk". Did you carry a side arm if they were close enough to charge or did you take away their credit card? What was the terrain. Did you walk a lot? What camoflague did you use what staking technique if any. Did you have a guide with you? What time are the hogs active? How about some details I would love to read them and learn a little bit before I go. I have read quite a bit, seen a show (almost humorous) about some hog hunters runnin em with dogs. Did you use dogs? Still hunt? What?<P>You have teased me enough NOW OUT WITH THE DETAILS! [Linked Image]

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
blammer, I'll try to answer most of the questions [Linked Image]. Weapons used in our club run the range from 22LR to 444Marlin. (I used the ole 458 Win Mag with 400 grn Trophy Bonded Bear Claws on one too & essentially field dressed the poor old hog on the spot.) An umbrella would've also come in handy for the fallout [Linked Image]. I think a 22LR would be marginal on large (over 150 LB) animals. I use a 270 with Hornady SST's, any centerfire rifle will be fine (See the 22.250 Hog killer thread earlier). The most reliable killing shot is the headshot. I prefer a broadside shot in or slightly below the ear. Drops them like a ton of bricks every time. Depending on terrain I sometimes carry a sidearm. If you're in the palmettos or other very dense cover where visibility is a problem, then its wise to carry one. I usually have mine in my hand in those conditions, especially if I'm sure I'm on top of them. (You can smell them up close.) they are also very noisy when on the move, unlike deer. <BR>I wear camo, although hogs do not have great eyesight, they do pick up movement very well. Just use normal deer stalking techniques and especially use the wind. Their sense of smell is incredible. (Don't know how they stand themselves. [Linked Image]) We still hunt and stand hunt for them, scouting is very important as they seem to be more transient than deer. They will move form area to area unless they find a consistent food source. Just look for lots of sign, you'll know it when you see it. They are pretty destructive & will root up an area to look like a roto-tiller has gone crazy. They prefer wet, swampy bottoms, especially when the weather turns hot. Look for wallows, mud rubs on trees and rooting areas, When you find all three, you've found an area where they spend a lot of time.<P>We don't allow dogs on our club at all.<BR>Times of movement seem to depend on the amount of pressure on the hog population. They become more nocturnal during deer season and by mid-spring tend to move more freely during the day. Right now, peak daytime movement is at dawn & dusk.<BR>Regards,<BR>badger. <P>------------------<BR>Keep the traditions alive, take your child hunting.....<p>[This message has been edited by badger (edited February 25, 2001).]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="2">Originally posted by blammer:<BR><B>Hey guys! I am planning my first Hog hunt ever. I am looking forward to a real good time. My dad and I and hopefully another friend of mine are going to GA to a Ranch to hunt hogs. What caliber rifle gun did you guys use, how far was your shot? I want to know what weapon I should bring and ammo type to pack. Would the standard "deer" bullet construction work, or do you need a penetrator like for "elk". Did you carry a side arm if they were close enough to charge or did you take away their credit card? What was the terrain. Did you walk a lot? What camoflague did you use what staking technique if any. Did you have a guide with you? What time are the hogs active? How about some details I would love to read them and learn a little bit before I go. I have read quite a bit, seen a show (almost humorous) about some hog hunters runnin em with dogs. Did you use dogs? Still hunt? What?<P>You have teased me enough NOW OUT WITH THE DETAILS! [Linked Image]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Blammer,<P>Badger gave you good advice on tactics and weapons. Any good deer caliber and load will work fine on 99 percent of hogs, However There are some whoppers taken each year<BR>that I would feel better toting a littlebit bigger cartridge. I used a 338 Ultra on the three hogs I took in the last few months.<BR>The one I shot Friday,I used a Nosler 200gr BT. That load is a bit much for hogs [Linked Image]<BR>The other two were taken with a 250gr Swift A-Frame and worked to perfection.<P>We hunted free rangeing Wild Hogs and didn't use a guide. If you go that way,be sure to take a compass,map and a GPS. Getting lost in a swamp with snakes,alligators and Wild Hogs,is not my idea of fun!<P>Speaking of sign,you will know it when you see it [Linked Image] They absolutely tear the ground up! <P>Be careful, badger has got me hooked on hog hunting. It's the most legal fun you can have. Good luck...Littlebit<BR>

James
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad you boys got some hog meat. How did they winter in your country? Are they still carrying any fat?<P>blammer the boys have given you good poop on hog hunting. What you carry as a firearm depends on how you are hunting them. If I am hunting with enough dogs to hold the drove I will carry a pistol as you will be right on top of them and your worst worry is hitting a dog. If you are hunting with dogs but not enough to hold I like something like a mini 14 because it will be running shots and quick ones too. If you are just prowling the bushes or stand hunting what ever deer type rifle you have will work fine and dandy. You don't need any thing special.<BR>A hog can hear and smell very good. They can't see for sour apples. I don't think they can see past 50 to 75 yards. If you take it slow and easy and watch the drove and not move when they throw up their heads you can walk right up to them. Twenty or thirty yards any way if you have the wind on them.<BR>Don't sweat the horror stories about hog charges. The truth is this. A hog just wants to get away from you. When he gets spooked he will take off. As I said he doesn't see too good and if you happen to be standing where he is pointed he will run over you trying to get away. Now a big boar or a sow with small pigs is just a bit different but not much. They want to get away too but if you just hurt them instead of killing them they will take you on if they have a mind too.<BR>Good luck and have fun. I've killed hogs with everything from a two pound hammer to a 375H&H. Usually it is just what ever is handy at the time.<BR>BCR<P>------------------<BR>A 45 BEATS 4 ACES EVERYTIME

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi Boggy,<P>Well, the pigs over here came through the winter just like, well, pigs! The one I shot (young sow about 80LBS) had at least 3/4-1" of fat over the hams and backstrap. Very well fed indeed. (We have 6 active feeders on our lease of 1300 acres.) Plenty of sign including lots of little 'uns. Should be a good year [Linked Image] badger.<P>------------------<BR>Keep the traditions alive, take your child hunting.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
blammer, heres a great website to look at.<P><BR><A HREF="http://www.texasboars.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.texasboars.com/</A><P>------------------<BR>Keep the traditions alive, take your child hunting.....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Badger-Thanks <P>I am currently trying to book a hog hunt in GA now.<p>[This message has been edited by blammer (edited February 25, 2001).]

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
blammer,<P>check your e-mail. badger.<P>------------------<BR>Keep the traditions alive, take your child hunting.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good to see y'all scored some bacon!!<P>Sounds like another corrupted Ultra Mag shooter in the works [Linked Image] I sure will hate to have to keep up with the Jones' [Linked Image]<P>Rabid

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Badger,<P>Thanks for the website. Never heard of that one. Lots of Hog info...Littlebit

James

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

462 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1_deuce, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,778 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,314
Posts18,526,349
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.