Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ou76
archery hunters are backed with guys carrying 375s...

Yes they are, but the ones I'm familiar with, and probably many or most of the ones I'm not, want to do more than simply arrow the bear and have the job finished with a rifle. Things have to be right- and close- to kill a bear with an arrow. A smaller rifle, like a bow, is simply going to limit one's opportunities, but also require a person to hunt (stalk) better and closer.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Great stuff all, yes, asked on shot placement as I have not killed a bear, not too concerned w/a Blackie, but definitely want to proceed w/caution on the Brown/Grizzly.

If on a hunt, MOST if not all of the time I will not be alone and will have someone to back me up if need be. I will likely take a 2nd rifle, and depending on circumstances decide if/when to use a 6.5 if I desire, but no doubt, I would want more gun if alone and/or needing to stop a charge. It certainly won't be my choice if I were in THICK stuff at PBR.

Medicman, sounds almost as you either had irons, or pointed that rifle.....close call no doubt. Nice you had a reliable mauser and a proper bullet to go deep, and it went where needed.

Thanks all.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'll only comment that the two most experienced bear guides I know (one on big island black bears in British Columbia and one on brown bears in SE Alaska, both with decades of hunting) both advise against trying to "break down" a broadside bear with shoulder shots.

This is because they've seen too many hunters break only one shoulder without hitting vitals. This is because the hunter gets so fixated on breaking down the bear that they miss the center of the heart-lung area. Both guides advise shooting for the middle of the lungs, as no bear lives long with a big hole in both lungs. This has been my personal experience as well, with both black and grizzlies.

If a bear is charging there is no way to take out both shoulders with one shot.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good points - thanks sir. No doubt, CNS/Heart may be the best on a frontal shot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 65BR
Medicman, sounds almost as you either had irons, or pointed that rifle.....close call no doubt. Nice you had a reliable mauser and a proper bullet to go deep, and it went where needed.

Yes sights were original battle sights, quick and reliable. I shot the rifle lots and it pointed naturally for me in its full military condition. I had the bayonet, but it was not a part of the hunting setup.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A buddy of mine here in B.C. used to live in the Northwest Territories. He's quite a good shot and is a regular "F" class and Silhouette competitor. He was a lot younger when he lived up north and only had one gun, chambered in 250 Savage. There's a nice blonde griz hide hanging on the wall of his basement that he brought down with two shots, broadside in the lungs, as it was climbing a rocky slope about 100 yards away from him. Looking at the hide on the wall I asked him if he was a bit concerned when he shot it, considering the little pea-shooter that he was carrying at the time. He said, "Nope, I knew I could put the bullet in the right place. That grizzly didn't last long once I hit him." Needless, now that he has the wherewithal he uses something stouter.

Re: archery, another fellow in our Rod and Gun Club stalked a griz to 20 yards and arrowed him. No back-up of any kind. I figure that's more stupid/lucky than brave.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a book that came out a couple years ago titled The Last Frontiersman and is about a friend of our named Heimo Korth. Heimo lives very remote just south of the Brooks Range in ANWAR and the rifle he uses on everything from caribou and moose to grizzlies is a 22-250. He says he has killed half a dozen grizzlies with it. His secret ? Simply to put the little bullet in the correct place.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good stories. Gotta shootem good, helps to be lucky...better be lucky then good they say, so should I have the chance and use a 6.5, I hope I have both on my side smile

Funny, a cousin of mine from up North was visiting my other in AK, and was asked if he wanted to borrow his bow to stick a Blackie.....he killed alot of deer w/bow in MI, but turned down the chance to arrow a Black Bear. Somewhat surprised...but somewhat not.

Fred Bear had something I don't...lack of fear or something may be one...he was good, and usually lucky. I would not count myself so adept w/a bow.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think the point has been made, maybe a couple of times already,that it's one thing to spend a lifetime among them (grizzly)... studying them, observing them... not taking foolish risks, taking your time in placing your shot correctly, perhaps on an unaware bear... BUT, it's another thing entirely to be a hobbyist IMO.

About the black bear I mentioned earlier... I saw the horse it killed... before it was killed... a black stallion. There was NO WAY that bear could have outrun, in a pasture, that stallion that weighed 800 to 1000 lbs! But the bear cornered it and maneuvered it to flee into a large wilderness area where it was killed, by the bear,in a bog.

Next year, God willing, I'll be going after said bear, as that is the request of the people concerned, but there's NO WAY that I'd go for that bear in that terrain with a 22-250!!! In fact, my choice will likely be my Marlin in .45-70 loaded (4+1=5 rounds) with tough 400's at 2000+ fps! THAT bear is cunning and smart, and although not a grizzly, it's dangerous!

The point I'm making is this (If you'll indulge me for another brief moment):CONDITIONS should play a major role in the choices we make in firearms for DG. And no two circumstances are exactly the same. Therefore, to advise a client, or hobbyist, to choose such and such because it has "always worked for grandpa", is, in a word, ludicrous. If someone is to err, let it be with "too much gun" for conditions that may quickly turn sour, rather than that which is "perfect" when everything is. (Is it ever?)

Another important factor, pointed out already... would this be a "do it yourself" or a guided hunt with a guide/outfitter that, hopefully, would know how to use his .30-06 or .375 or whatever? I'd be VERY surprised/dismayed, as a client, should HE be toting a 6.5!!!

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 12/09/10.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by ou76
[Linked Image]
Typical BC Grizzly...Unit 626..

Nice bear!...............someone pass the 375H&H please?! wink

Here ya' go....

Just give it back when you are finished with the hunt. cool

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
'Nam Vet '67, '68, '69
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Whenever I've gone grizz hunting I had taken something bigger, usually in .375, but I know of lots of guys that have killed grizzlies with .308's so I don't see why the 6.5x55 woudl bounce of..

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dang, what an offer, do I REALLY have to give it back! LOL. Thanks!!!

Seriously, my cousin in AK would be along w/me, so not solo, though NEVER know if you get separated, or what you might encounter say when not AFTER bear per se that day, but Moose, though Bear are in the area. They do come often at the sound of a shot/free meal.

I believe in balance, I want enough killing effectiveness, w/shootability (aka tolerable recoil to allow repeat fire if need be), yet not so much recoil as I do recall taking ONE shot w/a 416 - and probably my last. About rattled my teeth loose!

No doubt these are animals to be respected, and preparedness is best done prior to meeting the opportunity.

Thanks for the posts, and again, Oldfender, that is a very nice rifle, and up to the task of ANY serious business. Almost bought one in 338 and 375 long ago JUST BECAUSE - as I do trust an M70 personally over a few other models. It's a confidence thing. I never did get an M70 back then, as I did not anticipate going on a serious hunt.

Again, very generous, thank you sir.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
More than a couple of years back a friend of mine went to Alaska on a Brown Bear hunt and took a Stainless Classic 375 just like in the photo page 5. He ran about 4 boxes of factory Federals thru it getting used to it and decided to use WW Supreme loads featuring the Failsafe bullet for the hunt. This was pretty spendy ammo back then so he did his practice with the Feds and rezeroed the rifle before leaving with the Failsafe ammo. He did not however load the Failsafe ammo in the mag and check it for function. When the time came for his 90 yd shot he hit it thru the far shoulder knocking it down and then getting up and heading for the alders. This went down as he got a fail to feed on the next Failsafe,bent the cartridge up bad enuf they had to pry it out later. The guide didn't wait to figure out anything and anchored the bear very quickly.Point is he should of known better but just didn't think about it. Taking a marginal outfit up frt and knowing it seems strange to me. But its your butt and maybe it will belong to the bear. good luck I think you will need it. Magnum Man

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
LOL, good point Magnum Man thanks.

Trust me, I have not hunted bear, but should I, it won't be foolish. I may not shoot the biggest magnum's, but I do know HOW to shoot and I know what bullets to shoot in a given round per application, and I Do know there are limmits - to rounds, and shooters.

Did the friend ever find WHY that M70 had a F-t-F w/failsafes?

No plans to go alone, as although I plan if hunting one to get it all done by my shooter, should things not go as planned, there will be a second gun and gunner, backing me up.

In a nutshell, you may think I am a fool, and I agree I take a path less traveled at times not perhaps always doing things status quo, but I don't intend on doing anything foolish.

Hunting w/a light caliber for large game in and of itself I do not believe has to be 'foolish' but no doubt, if done w/o thought, and solo, it can and has gotten people in trouble.

As to the above shooter, he did something I dont' do. I actually sight in and shoot, and check functioning with the ammo that rifle will be used that season. Its surprising he had a bobble w/facotry ammo and rifle, but things happen. That was too bad, but glad it all ended well.

Your post is valid and not w/o merit, so know I certainly appreciate your post sir.

At this time, my plans will be to bring two rifles, a 6.5 of sorts, to use on deer/caribou, sheep, and moose, depending on opportunities, but on bear it will all depend. My second rifle will MORE than likely be a 9.3x62 stuffed w/286 Partitions OR possibly a Barnes. That's likely my first choice for a midbore right now. The other choices I have will be 338/06, 338 Win Mag, and possibly a 375 H&H but I KNOW myself, and feel I will shoot the 9.3 and 338/06 a good bit better and leaning towards them.

SHOOTABILITY, HIT-ABILITY, time to complete repeat fire, and capacity all factor in to my choices - knowing MY recoil tolerance. I'd rather shoot well, than only get off one half azzed shot w/something I don't shoot worth a darn. I no doubt could get one good shot off w/a say 375, but how quick for a 2nd and 3rd I am not so confident. Getting a rifle that fits well, with hunting clothes, i.e. LOP is also key I feel in optimizing gun handling and fast accurate repeat fire.

Would you guys feel comfortable w/a simple FXII 4x Leupold for Bear?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Yes. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Why would a Bear need a scope??????? [Linked Image]

Now seriously, I would not. I'd want my S&B because of it's superior low light ability and that may bee the very time that I need it most

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hmmm, last FXII I had was a very bright scope, although I might was to put a bold #4, or even maybe better yet #1 reticle in it, to stand out on that dark hair, but....how much brighter can the S&B ...be?

Yours a Flashdot?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

No flashdot. A FXll can't hold with a S&B and that is one of the reasons I no longer own any leupys

BobinNH, knows the difference between a S&B and a Leupy, just ask him and he'll come clean

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well shidt.....the S&B is indeed a better low light scope.. grin As it should be!I luv mine!

But I have killed two brownies with 1.5-5x's set on 4X....ditto black bears....cause that's what I had,and was not on those hunts at all handicapped,other than by my own ineptitude, that is......

Personally I would not want any flash tubes in my scope,but that is just me...

If I were gonna buy a scope for my 375H&H...today....just for brown bear,etc, it would be a 1 3/4-6 Schmidt.

But, if I were leaving tomorrow,I would grab my 375 with the 4X Leupold and go smack a bear!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I've used a 4x32 Zeiss for over 20 years...works fine...but then I shoot big NA bears with a 375 too...

"To pick a rifle and bullet for use on game by muzzle energy alone is, at best, foolish...and can be dangerous to your own health..." Bill Steigers, April 23, 1980
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

662 members (10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,342 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,960
Posts18,480,484
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.