Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Savage_99
"Burris finally elected to not cut quality, specifications, or quality control. They made duplicates of their tooling, clones of what resides in Greeley, Colorado, and began producing Fullfield II scopes with lower labor costs in the Philippines."

No way am I going to buy a scope made in the Philippines.

If you don't use any foreign made stuff when you hunt, you'll probably be running through the woods naked.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
So you haven't tried a Leupold 6x42.

If I had poor eyesight I would try one.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Deliberately or not, but not surprisingly, you've missed the point.

I'm out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GrimJim
It isn't 1953 and Pennsylvania isn't Vermont.

I envy you your confidence in running shots. I am not that confident. I do not mind a miss but I do mind a bad hit. I do mind a hit on an animal that I am not supposed to shoot. I do mind focusing on the target and not on the background where the bullet goes when I am not the only hunter in the woods.

Where I was hunting in western PA I was posted while deer were driven by me. Deer will move if you walk through the woods. They know the drivers are there. You just push them along.

The drivers where I hunted yelled and shouted and used various aids to make loud clanging noises. They wanted to move the deer and they sure did. The deer moved at warp speed.

So I am watching a logging road with thick cover on either side. There are other hunters posted up and down the road from me, out of my sight. I hear the banging and clanging. I hear the noise in the brush. Suddenly three shapes emerge from the brush, cross the road and disappear into the brush in less time than it takes to read this sentence. I have no idea what the deer are, let alone whether any of them is a buck with enough points to be legal in the game area I am in. Somewhere down the road past them is another hunter hidden from me but not necessarily safe from me. Your advice about shooting when the buck nears the top of his bound doesn't help much, does it? If you would take a shot under these circumstances, I would not care to hunt with you.

One opening day where we took post in the dark. When the dawn emerged there were other hunters not only near me but close-about 50-75 yards away. A nice legal buck emerged and ran between two of us. Shooting under those circumstances is now called collateral damage. I have no idea what it was called in 1953.

I saw one of these poor animals close up once. I was seated just off a trail. I heard the drivers then an animal crashing through the brush. I did not know there were elephants in Pennsylvania. At the top of the hill the animal emerged. It was a button buck, running for its life, eyes wide and bulging, tongue hanging out. It ran down the trail and stopped, stock-still, right behind me. I turned around and said, "Hi, there." Off it went on another headlong charge.
========================================
Don't give up yet. This is the time to shoot and not talk to the deer. You will learn.
=======================================
I went to a 6X after spotting a legal buck in a field with some does in Michigan about 40 years later than 1953. It was 10 minutes before the end of shooting time. The buck was obvious through the 7X42 Swarovski binoculars, but the 4X Zeiss T coated lenses only showed that there were deer out there. If you need to see which deer is a buck and count the points to make sure it is legal, at dawn, at dusk, in the shade of the trees near or across a clearing, you need the definition that 6X or above provides. I am hoping the 4X Zeiss Conquest will do, but I don't know yet. It is impressive at the range.

Enjoy your running shots at a nice buck with a 4x scope.

GrimJim

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tried a 6x42 Leupold for treestand woods hunting in MS and didn't like it at all. Too much magnification for those really close shots (10 - 15 yards). Went back to variables and 4x's.

Weiners are health food - My dad
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Savage99:

This has been an interesting discussion. Condescension is not interesting.

========================================
Don't give up yet. This is the time to shoot and not talk to the deer. You will learn.
=======================================

The button buck was not legal that year during the antlered deer season. At that time the antlerless deer season was a separate season in PA.

Now it would be legal if I had drawn an antlerless deer permit for that game unit. For a variety of reasons, I would prefer a nice eating doe to a button buck full of hormones and additives after he had been chased through the woods.

I did not appreciate your comment.

GrimJim, a little grimmer than usual

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well I am concerned that you don't know! grin

The next time shout MAW and the deer might stop running. Shoot when one of them stop. cool

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've been to Vermont once or twice. I've been to New Hampshire a lot in recent years. I like Vermont and New Hampshire very much. I never confused them with the universe.

GrimJim

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have hunted deer in Pennsylvania twice and I got a buck each time.

Each time I used my 99F in .358. One shot was the longest I have made with that rifle. The buck was walking down a slope in the forest. He stopped.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GrimJim
I've been to Vermont once or twice. I've been to New Hampshire a lot in recent years. I like Vermont and New Hampshire very much. I never confused them with the universe.

GrimJim

That right there is the funniest thing I've read in a long time Jim!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I am originally from Vermont...If I went back there to hunt today I know a 6X would not work............THERE ARE NO DEER TO SHOOT AT!

Otherwise it would be fine.

Lefty C

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
For years a spike buck was called the "Pennsylvania trophy". This isn't the case any more. I hope yours were better bucks.

Spotting those spike bucks with 3" antlers used to be another reason to use a 6x in PA.

Cheers,

GrimJim

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Again I don't need a minimum 6X in the forest to see well. 4X works fine for me and a variable that we have these days is even better.

I shot those PA bucks back in the 70's. One at least was more than a forkhorn.

The thing is though that I am not a antler hunter. That's from years in VT where the antlers run small and thin.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What's nice about the Leupie 6x42 is its generous eye relief.

However it's slightly longer and heavier than my Leupie VXIII 3.5-10x4mm. So I'm not sure if it's worth the trade off??

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by leomort
What's nice about the Leupie 6x42 is its generous eye relief.

However it's slightly longer and heavier than my Leupie VXIII 3.5-10x4mm. So I'm not sure if it's worth the trade off??

I could never see the "why" of the 6x42 over the 6x36... I just don't find its oft touted large "eyebox" and "ease of acquisition" enough more forgiving over the 6x36 to warrant its larger size and extra weight... but could be I spent so many years behind the lowly 2-7x33's that I've got myself thoroughly trained to find my "spot" quick in the 6x36... compared to the 2-7x33, the 6x36 seems like a bay window...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brad,

Yes, the Leupie 6x36 does seem like it would be the better option if going to fixed power scope over the 3.5-10x40mm.

Not sure of it's eye relief or eye box as compared to the 6x42?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've seen some guys scope the hell out of themselves with a 6x36.. Never seen it with a 6x42..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Calvin
I've seen some guys scope the hell out of themselves with a 6x36.. Never seen it with a 6x42..

I've never seen it with a 6x36 but have seen it with 3-9x40's on light weight 300 Mag's!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I need fewer rifles. grin

I'm here for you. grin

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by leomort
Brad,

Yes, the Leupie 6x36 does seem like it would be the better option if going to fixed power scope over the 3.5-10x40mm.

Not sure of it's eye relief or eye box as compared to the 6x42?

Personally, I'd go 3.5-10x40 over 6x42. I've never found the option of more X's a bad thing.

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 16penny, 59 invisible), 2,575 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,846
Posts18,496,943
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.