Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I believe you, but I shot a Buck this year at around 40yards, from above, facing, just above where the neck meets the shoulder. .308W-130gr ttsx. I looked, but couldn't find where it came out. Didn't hit spine anywhere along the back. Damned if I know where it ended up, because I also didn't find it on gutting. Stomach was not hit. ????

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
[quote= Once blew a buck's heart to mush with a 12 ga slug at 25 yards and had to track him 1/4 mile. He had thrashed out a place the size of my living room and was still thrashing when I found him. [/quote]--- That is amazing-- Web

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FVA
Even on a guided hunt for big deer and where ranges may be long?
Don't get me wrong. I have no issue with the 233 or even a Hornet for deer hunting. Deer pretty much drop right there regardless what I shoot them with ,big or small. Fast or slow.

Never had the pleasure to be on a guided hunt for big deer - only DIY. On mule deer hunts where the ranges can be long, I always shorten up the distance or don't take the shot. I am realistic about my long range shooting abilities and never would consider I am in that class of shooters here on the fire. Having said that, in regards to big Mule deer I have never felt undergunned with a 257 Roberts and 100gr Nosler Partitions.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
[Linked Image] ---battue--- My son shot a 7 pt 135 lb buck this year almost exactly the same way you did. It was about a 100 yard shot in heavy brush. The .308--180gr RN Interlock entered the bucks lower neck. The perfect mushroomed projectile was found just under the skin at the hind quarter. Web

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by wldthg
[quote= Once blew a buck's heart to mush with a 12 ga slug at 25 yards and had to track him 1/4 mile. He had thrashed out a place the size of my living room and was still thrashing when I found him.
That is amazing-- Web
It's also very rare and he might have to shoot several hundred more deer before it ever happened again. I've only had two deer go more than 100 yards in my life after taking a good hit through the heart/lungs with anythging and I've probably killed over 200 by now. One of those was a doe that I plugged broadside through the lungs from only 30 yards with a 12 gauge foster slug. I could see the slug hit and I could see blood pouring out the hole in her side as I watched in amazement while she ran all the way across a 250 yard wide field before collapsing. Prior to witnessing that performance I would have thought someone a liar if they told me a lung shot deer could ever travel that far after taking a slug through the lungs. I will say that I also have no illusions that this was something that can only happen with a big, slow projectile either, as the second time I witnessed a very similar performance was with a .270 and 150 gr. Hornady interlock @ 2900 fps.

Last edited by Blackheart; 12/22/10.
IC B2

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had more deer fall dead faster with my .243AI + 85g TSX's than anything else I've used on deer sized game ... and that range is from the .223 up to the .30-06.

I too have come to the conclusion that a very fast moving, well constructed bullet is the best of all the options ... and that caliber size has very little to do with anything. The bullet is either good enough to do the necessary damage, or it's not. After that, there really is no difference ... at least not to me.

Now, gimme my .243AI and get outta my way ... (grin)

-WGM-
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Years ago I ran into a guy who told me about shooting a deer with a 22-250............I think it was............said the deer dropped straight away!

Someone also said that A deer is basically a glorified groundhog.......might some truth to that!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think on shots that take out the running gear, size and speed really doesn't matter. Same to be said for CNS shots like the neck shot I'm a fan of.

For behind the shoulder lung or heart type shots I "THINK" but don't "KNOW" that speed is the better stopper.

If i'm hunting where I absolutely don't want to track a deer the CNS or high shoulder shot is the one I take. If in a open field where them running 100yds is not big deal than behind the shoulder it is.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
Years ago I ran into a guy who told me about shooting a deer with a 22-250............I think it was............said the deer dropped straight away!

Someone also said that a deer is basically a glorified groundhog.......might some truth to that!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Old dogs a slow to change it seems, but fear shouldn't drive ones life.

Fear???? The point is why fix what ain't broke.

Aim for the exit hole.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
270 grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by stillbeeman

No, it's fear. Thank Christ we don't all come from a group of 'don't fix what ain't broke' else we'd all still be living in a cave and driving a buggy.

The only folks I hear that cliche from are those that don't know either how something works or are lazy.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
I shot a doe (double lung shot) at 60 yards, she made a mad dash for 50 yards then crashed.

To me, this is an ideal kill and what you get 90% of the time with a double lung shot regardless of what they are shot with. The deer lives long enough to bleed out which is going to make the meat taste better. As a meat hunter, this is important to me. So, I guess I better avoid one of those 22 caliber death rays.....they kill too darn fast laugh

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No, it's fear. Thank Christ we don't all come from a group of 'don't fix what ain't broke' else we'd all still be living in a cave and driving a buggy.

The only folks I hear that cliche from are those that don't know either how something works or are lazy.

I drive a older model Ford F150 4WD 4.6 liter gas pickup. My neighbor, Lonn, is driving a 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 with a 5.7 liter Hemi V8. I know how his truck works so I am relieved to know I am not lazy. grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Web,

The funny thing was internal damage pretty much ended at the diaphragm. Lungs were tore-up, but past that things were clean. In the scope I could see that the Deer just fell down and rolled over on its side.

I had a good haul to get out, so I didn't spend a lot of time looking other than to notice it didn't come out in the hams or belly. The lower chest is where I'm guessing it left and I just missed it.

That Deer I had processed by another since I wanted some sticks and rolls made up for family and friends for Christmas presents. I asked them to look for the bullet and when I picked it up they said they also couldn't find the bullet or an exit. 130ttsx bullets just don't disappear so I'm thinking it came out the front third and again I just missed it.

A Doe I shot later in the week-two shots-and both exits were obvious.

laissez les bons temps rouler
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
battue--- What you said about your buck is almost exactly what happened to my sons buck. In the photo you can see where the .308 entered the neck ( red spot)and was recovered near the hind quarter on the same side as the entry. I've shot deer with factory 8/mm 170gr RN and .308 RN. and 6/mm. I prefer the 170-180 gr RN in .308 or 8 m/m. --Web [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
but I have little doubt they will work in the brisket as Rich calls it.

I hope people on here don't read this and actually start shooting them in the brisket on purpose. Some of the worst tracking job I have ever done was on deer shot low in the brisket. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gee, didn't know I'd been living a life of fear. Glad you straightened me out. What's your next stupid remark?

Aim for the exit hole.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by battue
My concern is how they work if things don't go according to plan and you are playing catch up. Very few are perfect all the time. I know how the traditional offerings work and I see no reason to handicap myself if I'm not perfect on the first go.

That's my thinking and experience as well.

While a small/fast might produce more satisfying results for the instant gratification crowd, I find that if you are unlucky enough to make a less than perfect hit, you will eventually recover more that were hit with the larger bullet. If the small/fast doesn't give you the DRT bang flop that you want, you are more likely to lose that deer in the end than the one hit the same way with a larger heavier round.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by stillbeeman

The constant need to ridicule others who disagree is a SURE sign of fear.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,444
Posts18,489,584
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.