Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Leave it in, or take it out. I have heard that it is NO good. What do ya all know.Thanks, Mark.

If you really like something,you better buy two!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know for sure, but I believe GM products have to use it. I don't know why.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Leave it in, or take it out. I have heard that it is NO good. What do ya all know.Thanks, Mark.

__________-

It's good and may well be required for your warranty.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pink is for R.V. potable water storage winterization. I you sure it is not orange? The orange (dexcool) has to be run in modern vehicles it cut down on the corrosion factor. If you mix colors it will cause the coolent proberties to precipitate out and be worthless.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 1999 GMC Safari manual says it is a 5 year antifreeze versus the 2 year green stuff. The jug says 5year/150,000 mile antifreeze. 5 year is right but the 150K is IIRC.
batch

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Cowboy, this is the factory stuff that came in the vehicle. It looks pink? The coolent tank is white, and this stuff looks pink.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Cowboy, this is the factory stuff that came in the vehicle. It looks pink? The coolent tank is white, and this stuff looks pink.

_________

Wyocowboy is exactly right in what he says. As to anti-freeze/coolant, the dexcool is actually orange but the several different types are most often separated to "pink" and "green". The dexcool does seems to grow "pinker", over time. I think the industrial name for the stuff is ambitrol but not totally sure.
Old Toot

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Are you refering to Dexcool? If so and its under warranty,I'd leave it in,otherwise I'd flush it out.

I had to replace a waterpump at 45K on my '98 Z-71 with the 5.7. I also had to replace the waterpump on my wifes '99 S-10 Blazer with the 4.3. The waterpump on my wifes Blazer made it to 49K. Both had Dexcool as the factory fill. It may have been coincedence,but IMO it was the Dexcool.

There are thousands of reports of Dexcool causing problems with the cooling systems of GM cars and trucks. There was a TSB from GM about the DC in the '96 and newer 4.3s. They reccomended draining and flushing of the DC at something like 24 months or 24K miles. Whats the point of a coolant made to last 5yr/150K if GM wants you to flush it so much sooner?

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks Mossy, that is exactly the kind of response I was looking for. I am now going to look into it further, and maybe change to Zerex. I have used nothing but Zerex in my whole life, and never had a problem. Engines are still made with the same componants, and I thought that a 5 year 150K antifreeze had to have some negative properties. A guy I know told me to get the pink stuff out, cause it rotted the insides of his fairly new chevy car, and he had a major repair bill. I think it involved the waterpump, heads/headgaskets, radiator and all.

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had a few rigs with the pink stuff. This was a big controversy a while back. I did some research. IIRC, as long as the system is properly sealed (most are) the pink stuff (Dex Cool) will last as advertised. It cannot be mixed with std antifreeze, so if you are going to change make sure you thoroughly flush the old stuff out.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

374 members (29aholic, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 204guy, 264mag, 46 invisible), 1,856 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,205
Posts18,524,204
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.