B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by ingwe
Yep..me too...this is some cool stuff..... grin

Ingwe

Geese with an '06...ya gotta love that....

pisses me off i cant hunt birds with a rifle.....bet i would wound alot less than the scattergun folks.....limit out faster too.....not that im speaking from experience or anything whistle

We can shoot non-migratory birds in B.C. with rifles. The 375 H&H is a fine grouse gun - as long as one remembers to shoot a tad high.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BCBrian
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by ingwe
Yep..me too...this is some cool stuff..... grin

Ingwe

Geese with an '06...ya gotta love that....

pisses me off i cant hunt birds with a rifle.....bet i would wound alot less than the scattergun folks.....limit out faster too.....not that im speaking from experience or anything whistle

We can shoot non-migratory birds in B.C. with rifles. The 375 H&H is a fine grouse gun - as long as one remembers to shoot a tad high.

you can take mountain grouse with a rifle or handgun....cant take pheasants, sage or sharptain grouse or huns with a long gun or hand gun......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
They're definitely bulking up for the winter. Took down a 22.7lbs bitch and a 17.2lbs dog while supposedly deer hunting. Just couldn't let the opportunity pass.

Sorry for poor cell phone quality... You can just see my rifle in the background, and it looks rather small next to these two.

[Linked Image]

Took 'em to my predator food plot ( for foxes / raccoon dogs / crows etc ) and sliced them open. Quite an admirable layer of fat.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ruistola, why do you use suppressors in Finland ?

Va t'in tch�re !
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

[Linked Image]

ruistola ,
what bred is you dog? he looks like a boykin spaniel but he is black instead of brown.

IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
grand_veneur,

Pretty obvious really -- cuts down noise & recoil, often improves accuracy and currently no paperwork to obtain, just pick one up at the store. Admittedly aesthetics suffer, but form is secondary to function in my books anyway.

bocephus,

It's a hunting breed cocker spaniel. They're my wife's passion. We have a couple of liver colored ones as well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's quite unusual to us, simply owning one, no matter if it's off a rifle and even without owning a rifle with a threaded barrel, is a crime.

In Belgium, it is mostly a tool for poachers, but it would be very comfortable and pretty useful for suburban area hunting and for training and zeroing in the field.

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by grand_veneur
It's quite unusual to us, simply owning one, no matter if it's off a rifle and even without owning a rifle with a threaded barrel, is a crime.

In Belgium, it is mostly a tool for poachers, but it would be very comfortable and pretty useful for suburban area hunting and for training and zeroing in the field.

interesting to know, thought they were in common use in Europe in general, didnt realize some countries were that restrictive.....restrictions for them here in the states(12 states outlaw them completely), have to jump through hoops to get one and many places that allow their ownership outlaw them for big game hunting anyway though they are often okay for varmints.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
LOL on the pic of the liver cocker.

Didn't I read somewhere that NA raccoons have been introduced to Germany/Belgium by some dumbazz and are now becoming an invasive species problem?

I too had never hear of the raccoon dog. Nice looking critter.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Seafire
Raccoons in Finland???

Wonder what someone's motivation was for introducing them to Finland....

and the rifle.. WOW.. what a nice set up..

Herman Goering was the Minister of Forestry in Pre-War Germany and introduced the racoon ("Waeschbaer" in German meaning "washing bear")thinking it would make a fine game animal. The German hunters have been cursing him every since. I preditor of small game it rival the fox as the number one carrier of rabies. They routinely remove them when sighted. It would not surprise me if the had migrated to Finland as well as much of Europe.

IC B3

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
"Washing bear" ( pesukarhu in Finnish ) is the direct translation we use for raccoon as well. None of those here in Finland, perhaps they're accustomed to a warmer climate?

Anyways.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That looks like some fine dining there!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ruistola, count your blessings. The raccoons may just make it to Finland yet. I lived in a part of Michigan that is very similar in climate to Finland and we have plenty. In fact that area has one of the highest Finnish populations in the US because of the similarity of climate and terrain. My wife is 75% Finn and where she lived the street signs were written in Finnish and English. In fact she is making nissu as we speak (type). I would shoot everyone I came across, they are horrible on small game and are pretty useless except for making nice hats. Nice rig by the way. I like the fact that you use it for everything from bunnies to big game. I wish we could use suppressors here for hunting it would save on the ears big time and I wouldn't need a game ear. How do they affect your ballistics if any?

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Didn't I read somewhere that NA raccoons have been introduced to Germany/Belgium by some dumbazz and are now becoming an invasive species problem?

Herman Goering was the Minister of Forestry in Pre-War Germany and introduced the racoon ("Waeschbaer" in German meaning "washing bear")thinking it would make a fine game animal. The German hunters have been cursing him every since. I preditor of small game it rival the fox as the number one carrier of rabies. They routinely remove them when sighted.

Correct - in every way.

G�ring was a dumbazz.

Introducing racoons is highly problematic.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by brinky72
I wish we could use suppressors here for hunting it would save on the ears big time and I wouldn't need a game ear. How do they affect your ballistics if any?

Typically if accuracy is affected, it is improved. No effect on bullet path unless except maybe for a couple of fps's worth of extra starter velocity and even that is debatable.

This is going to become a switch barrel rig early 2011. Hard to beat a 30-06 , 6.5x55 combo in Sako with Zeiss on top.

Well maybe except for a .284 with magnum bolt face, but I got that covered in another rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do you always use rifles on hares ???? Never hunt them with dog and shotgun ?

Just found you hunting on youtube ... Now everybody knows why he's not coming soon this year ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc5dKqoFtKk

Va t'in tch�re !
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
gv,

I use a rifle on just about anything I come across while getting bored in a deer stand. But yes, most hares are hunted with dogs and shotguns.

& LOL on the video, Norwegian wild reindeer will be on my menu someday...

D
D
Hi

Love your (wifes) dogs. I own 3 and a labrador

www.ribenaturskole.dk look under "hundetraening"

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (1Longbow, 204guy, 257Bob, 12344mag, 25classic, 2500HD, 58 invisible), 2,695 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,294
Posts18,486,992
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.