Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've come full circle.

My first handgun was a glock 23 about 10 years ago. I'm a newbie compared to most of you, but I do buy and sell a lot of guns. I've had a bunch of different brands, and I kept looking for something "better" than my first glock. I sold some looking for the best. Well, I haven't found it.

I've never had a malfunction with my glocks, a 23, a 29 and a 19. I know that they will work, every time. I can't say that for HK, Kimber, S&W, Sig or FN.

I've paid a lot more for guns. I've liked other guns a lot more for other reasons. But I've never trusted anything more than my glocks.

Glocks are the ugliest. They are the plainest. They are the simplest. And they work.

Gaston was a genius. Never designed a gun before, and he created something that has stood the test of time. Say what you want about 'em, they are the gold standard in auto reliability in my mind and they've earned my trust.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
NO NO NO!!!

The Rule Of Thumb: YOU CAN BET YOUR A$$ ON A GLOCK!!!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by dryflyelk
I've come full circle.

My first handgun was a glock 23 about 10 years ago. I'm a newbie compared to most of you, but I do buy and sell a lot of guns. I've had a bunch of different brands, and I kept looking for something "better" than my first glock. I sold some looking for the best. Well, I haven't found it.

I've never had a malfunction with my glocks, a 23, a 29 and a 19. I know that they will work, every time. I can't say that for HK, Kimber, S&W, Sig or FN.

I've paid a lot more for guns. I've liked other guns a lot more for other reasons. But I've never trusted anything more than my glocks.

Glocks are the ugliest. They are the plainest. They are the simplest. And they work.

Gaston was a genius. Never designed a gun before, and he created something that has stood the test of time. Say what you want about 'em, they are the gold standard in auto reliability in my mind and they've earned my trust.

Yep, gold standard.

Glock Jams on Trooper During Gunfight

MtnHtr

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the horseshit on the internet is epic if nothing else, it boldly goes where no real human would ever go. Over a dozen glocks, thousands of rounds, no jams, no FTF, no misfeeds but let one out of a million have a problem which may or may not be true etc...

its statistics my friends. self defense guns, dice, and roulette are all the same, place your bet with your nickle and your life, me I am going with what works in most of the average folks hands...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I refer to a glock as a pistol i love to hate.
Talking to a returned green beanie type a few years ago back from the stans, he said he could carry anything he wanted.
started with the berreta, switched to a hi power, but finish up with a glock 17, the reason being they worked kind of like the a.k., they could take the dirt gut go bang every time.
I agree with him.
Having said that i can also tell you of a whole bunch of other sidearms i am comfortable with including almost all the s&w revolvers i have fired before glock every got out of plumbing parts.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have shot a glock alot a years. Through the years I bet I have seen hundreds of thousands of rounds shot through glocks during training. I have seen glocks jam. My personal duty gun and Glock 27 have both mlfunctioned one time apiece. It makes me wonder if the ammo was out of spec. Of the glocks that I have seen malfunction it was always a one time deal and then they were back on to shooting.

I do work with a guy that grips a pistol like a infant and he can make a glock a malfunction but that is not the guns fault.

In all the rounds I have seen fired I bet I have witnessed less than six malfunctions total (not counting infant boy). I will take those odds.

I had two 1911's that never malfunctioned but I just could not rely on them having seen so many 1911's fail. It was always in the back of my mind that anytime they would quit working. I have never had that feeling with a glock.

Dink

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I can't say that for HK,Sig.

I can. I'll take a Sig or HK over a Glock any day. Nothing againt the reliability of Glock, I jeust prefer a little more refinement.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen many Glock malfunctions and had small parts breakages too. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Glock is as good as any other high quality semi-auto handgun. However, Glock is no better than any other high quality semi-auto and despite Glock hyperbole nothing is magic or "perfection." They are all machines and need to be cared for as such and with a mindset that they will puke on you at the most critical time so be ready to counteract that malfunction when it occurs.

People are funny about things... take Dink as an example. Dink had two 1911's that never malfunctioned... but he just couldn't trust them. Dink has two Glock guns that have malfunctioned, yet he carries them with complete trust. Doesn't make much sense really, does it...?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
MOGC let me put this a different way. I have glocks 17,22,27 and my duty pistol that is a 22. These four guns have been shot somewhere between 40,000 and 50,000 times. With training, instructor classes and quals I have seen glocks fired literally hundreds of thousands of times. In all of those rounds fired I have seen six or so (maybe a few more or less) malfunctions not counting infant boy.

My two 1911's were the springfield loaded pistols and I shot them between 3,000 and 5,000 rounds. The only thing I done to these pistols were to use Wilson seven round mags. I never shot any silver bear or other cheap ammo in them because I did not trust them. I have shot silver bear and other very cheap ammo through a glock with no problem.

I have seen 1911's that will not run a magazine with out stopping. Matter of fact I know where there is a Springfield right now that won't make it a magazine with out stopping shooting quaility hardball I have seen way more glocks in action than 1911's but I have way more 1911's refuse to run.

I know your a 1911 man but I would bet that you have seen more 1911's quit shooting than you have glocks.

Dink

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by warpig602
I can't say that for HK,Sig.

I can. I'll take a Sig or HK over a Glock any day. Nothing againt the reliability of Glock, I jeust prefer a little more refinement.

This guy disagrees.

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90

We know that any and every pistol will malfunction at some point. I would love to have a huge master data set of all the hundreds of millions of rounds shot every year and the failure percentage for each. I have a hunch Glock would come out on top.

My data set is certainly small and limited to a couple of thousand rounds out of each, but I've never had a problem with a glock or even seen one. I hate them...but I love the reliability and I can trust them.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
dryflyelk, RE: "I've never trusted anything more than my Glocks." / "Gold Standard"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I've never had a Glock in my hand ... nor a desire to own one.
I respect the Glock pistol and the shooting-people who like them.

"I" have three CZ pistols that "I" trust MORE than anything else.

"I" believe that Glocks are good (even great) ... but not "Gold".

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Glocks are ugly. Glocks don't have a safety system I like. They feel like toys in your hand.

But I'd be surprised as Heck if I saw one jam, and that's important to me...

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Dryflyelk: The Glock pistol in 40 S&W with night sights, top notch ammo and high capacity magazines is one of the finest self protection and urban battle arms ever devised!
I have been using them professionally for 24 years now.
My Glocks have all been Model 22's and 23's.
I have fired countless rounds through them and have as yet to encounter a stove-pipe or fail to feed!
They are simply wonderful and wonderfully reliable arms.
I currently do robbery suppression and body guard work and now carry the Model 23 with 2 extra magazines and the aforementioned night sights.
During the course of my professional useage of the Glock 22 many years back, I went into the water to save a human.
The Glock came along with me.
Back at the station I rounded up the shift officers and we re-dunked the same Glock in the water - this was a "unofficial" function test for the rare possibility one of us officers assigned to the Harbor Unit might need to use a "wet" Glock.
I re-dunked the Glock pistol under the surface for 20 more seconds in my left hand - I hid my body behind a telephone pole sized piling and the instant the Glock cleared the water I fired it - three times - quickly.
It functioned perfectly and only steamed a little.
I threw away the rest of the wet ammo and carefully blew-out, dryed and then cleaned the Glock.
I carefully care for my Glocks and I have complete confidence in them.
You are right - they have a face only a mother could love and they are not shiney like a Colt Python but they are accurate and reliable and best of all they are as quick a firearm/weapon to put into use as can be carried in a holster!
Your heading says it all, and simply - Glocks just work!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i went rhru the same thing,shot everything on the market and i still trust my glock 23 more then anything else.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From reading Clint Smith's articles I gather that he does not care for the Glock's grip angle, but in terms of its functionality as a dependable self-defense tool, I recall him saying something to effect of "buy a Glock and do nothing to it". I've looked at the offerings from Glock, S&W and Springfield (XD) and the Glock 19 is my choice for concealed carry. They all make great handguns, but the G19, for me, was the best combination of size and capability. And Glock's reputation for dependability definitely played a part in its selection.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Glocks might be reliable but the grip angle turns me off. That and I would outshoot the Glock 19 shooters at the range with my Colt 1911.

Larry Vickers wrote his findings on some forums that stirred up the Glock fans:
Originally from 1911forum.com IIRC:

Quote:
Larry Vickers

Sand Test
Just had a chance to do a harsh sand test on few different handguns. This test was not scientific but was very enlightening.

Pistols tested were; HK USP Tactical
Customized 1911
rack grade GI 1911
Glock 21

Test consisted of placing each pistol loaded in a Bianchi GI field holster inside a plastic bag with approx 2 cups of fine/medium grit sand ( North Carolina type). Then the bag was shaken vigorously for 10 seconds while holding onto the pistol butt for safety. The pistol was then taken out and 3 mags were fired through the 1911 and 2 fully loaded mags were fired through the HK and Glock - roughly the same amount of ammo. The sand coverage was very good and uniformly covered the pistols. The pistols were loaded in the mode you would expect in a field environment - condition 3 for the 1911, loaded for the Glock and loaded in DA mode for the USP.A test was done dry and lubed with TW 25B. This test represented EXTREME sand conditions - not normal field use, even in sandy conditions.A brief rundown of the results follow;

1)Carrying your gun dry in this environment is a NO GO despite what some will say. All pistols performed worse dry than lubed.

2)All pistols required some manipulation in order to fire - none would function normally straight out of the holster.

3)Overall the HK USP performed the best - the performance of it dry was roughly the same as the customized 1911 but was definately the best lubed. Overall it performed well.

4)The custom 1911 was second - interestingly enough the trigger track was not a real problem - the sand that went in through the ejection port to the bottom lugs area caused the most problems. Once the sand shifted in this area the pistol functioned better.

5)The rack grade GI 1911 was a distant third - the custom 1911 had an 18 pound recoil spring and that helped with feeding greatly vs the rack grade gun. Swap out the recoil spring and it probably would have done better.

6)The shocker of the day - the Glock 21 FAILED terribly. The big problem was failure of the trigger to reset. Also at times the pistol would not fire due to sand in the trigger mechanism. The dry test could not even be completed with the Glock due to this.This surprised all of us as we expected the Glock to do quite well.

Moral of the story; The 1911, even in its customized mode, can get the job done if you set it up to succeed. Lube it right, carry it in the right holster and in the proper mode, and it won't let you down - just like it hasn't for nearly a 100 years.

The HK USP series are good guns - well designed and well made - for service pistols. The ergonomics hurt the pistol dramatically but for an out of the box service pistol/field gun, they get my endorsement.

The Glock 21 is a dog - always has been. It has the rep of being the worst gun Glock makes. I have a Glock 17 and 19 and like them for what they are - but don't get sucked into the Glock hype - they are not magical guns. Remember what your dad said when you were in 3rd grade; don't believe everything you read.

Hope you guys got something out of this - I did.

Larry Vickers

End of quote

If one can shoot a Glock well then more power to them but don't go posting its somehow superior to other great pistols.

MtnHtr

Last edited by MtnHtr; 12/26/10.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Here's some more great advice:

By Larry Vickers:

My take on Glock's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gents

I see the old sand test I was part of years ago has stirred up a hornet's nest over on another forum - I tried to post this thread there but found out I was banned - not sure why that would be so I decided to post this here - in addition it answers several questions I get in nearly every class about Glocks- here goes;

1) IMO the Glock 19 and 17 are the best Glock's made - both are excellent pistols - I own, use, and recommend both

2) I do not recommend the G22, G23, or G21 - based on my experience these pistols have problems (breakage, won't function with rail mounted lights, etc.) and I feel there are better choices in 40 and 45

3) Glocks as a rule are not as accurate as many other service pistols - partly due to the enlarged chamber - this can be fixed with aftermarket barrels

4) I recommend 3 things for a Glock 19 or 17; good sights (Heinie, Novak, 10-8and Warren are my current favorites) , a buttplug to keep debris out of the trigger mech (cheap insurance), and my mag catch made by Tangodown. Optional but highly recommended is frame texturing by Dave Bowie (I like the finger grooves removed also)

5) They are incredibly forgiving in maintenance and lubrication - amazing

6) Incredibly simple to operate - 2 levers/buttons and 1 is optional

7) Always remember the golden rule with a Glock; keep your finger OFF the trigger until you are ready to shoot - if you don't adhere to this expect a loud noise at some point

Bottom line Glocks in 9mm are excellent pistols - they are not my first choice in other calibers however - the S&W M&P has been called a product improved Glock ; this may be true but the verdict is still out as the M&P is a relatively new handgun vs millions of Glock's in service (mostly in 9mm I might add) and S&W has a spotty record in terms of autoloading pistols - time will tell

hope this helps

Larry Vickers

www.vickerstactical.com

--------------------------------------------------------------

MtnHtr

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
MtnHtr I have also heard that the glocks 20,21 were less reliable than other glocks but I don't know anyone that has really pounded one.

I have seen a pile of glock 22 and 23 with attached lights go boom every shot with no problems. I don't buy that part of his story.

I also would not pick a smith and wesson anything over a glock when it comes to a self-defense pistol. I can't believe anyone would say that about a pistol that has not been around very long.

Did Vickers have a 1911 or 1911 parts with his name on it at one time? I might have him confused with someone else.

Dink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What do you guys think of ruger's revised SR9, any good?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Vickers has a well regarded history with the street cred's to back that up. So do guys like Chuck Taylor and Clint Smith, who also agree that the G17/G19 are by far the most reliable Glock handguns. The breakages and stoppages I personally witnessed were all on G22's and G23 guns. I haven't been around many of the .45 ACP guns. Nothing is perfection, they all need care and attention and then be ready when they stop going bang - for they very well might.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (anothergun, 10gaugemag, Alan_Robertson, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,498 guests, and 697 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,638
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.