Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
As most of y'all know, I'd rather be guiding with one of my children on the trigger than hunting myself these days, and they are more than willing to wholeheartedly accommodate me. I treasure these years with them, and am so grateful to have their hearts turned in the directions of faith and family.

It's not just my boys who really enjoy the outdoors, nor are the little guys the only capable hunters and shooters in the family.

After getting little brother on his first deer a couple of weeks ago, it was now the girls turn for the thrill of hunting and the fun and satisfaction of filling the freezer with the venison they cook so many ways and so well...

We got a little cold weather finally, and decided to see if we could hang up some deer. Bucks that needed to go were fine if they showed, but our preference for table fare is for fat does.

We had been seeing plenty, and it is now late enough that most fawns are weaned and educated enough to survive, so it was time to go to work.

First morning out was with my oldest daughter - just the two of us, which is a rare treat we both enjoy. We do most things with the whole family (as much as we can), and that makes one on one time even sweeter.

She went to bed excited about going and woke eagerly when I roused her an hour before daylight.

As day broke, we were well set up overlooking a big field which is planted with oats, but which has received insufficient rain to sprout them. Despite the dry winter, there are weeds and clover in the field which attract deer, and many cross the field from the river heading to bedding areas, as well. We were confident we would see deer, and we did.

As does and yearlings drifted through, we searched for a mature doe without small fawns, and found a perfect candidate. She was old, fat, and lead doe of about six or seven - the grandmother and great grandmother of the does with her, I expect. She also had what looked like an abscess on her jaw which I suspected might make this her last miserable winter - so it was easy to decide she was the one to shoot.

Shooting her was a little harder. As the group grazed across, she was rarely still. When she did stop, she was lined up in front of (or behind) other deer. My daughter was excited and eager to shoot, despite the fact that she is a fine shot and a veteran hunter with 9 or 10 deer to her credit. As usual when guiding my young ones, I was more excited than the hunter, but trying not to show it and project calm confidence that we would get it done.

The old doe decided it was time to leave, and circled away from us and started for the cedar break where she had bedded for so many years, and as she angled away offering poor shot angles for the really clean shot we wanted, it looked like she might make it.

Then, she stopped quartering slightly away and clear of her companions.

I whispered, "Slip it right behind her shoulder and kill her."

The words were barely out when the Remington M700 243 roared and the doe hit the ground. My daughter chambered another round, but the old doe barely even quivered. We watched her, while I quietly congratulated her on the fine shot.

It was not the back slapping celebration of the other day when her little brother killed his first. Instead, it was the expected, yet not taken for granted, well executed performance of a young lady whose capability and experience was quite evident. We were excited and grateful, but not surprised. I felt a pang as I was reminded again how fast my little girl is growing up...

She asked, "How far was she, Daddy?"

I hadn't ranged the doe to this point, knowing she was not past the 200 yards at which the rifle shot the 80 grain Hornady GMX so well (the only of a number of 243's to do so with this new factory offering). I ranged the now still doe...

I answered her, "170 yards. That's good shooting."

She beamed, and blushed a little at the compliment.

It was a pretty good morning.

[Linked Image]

The 80 GMX entered just behind the shoulder, just clipped the bottom of the spine, expanded well (as you can see), and exited the off shoulder. Looks like these little TTSX wannabe's expand pretty well, and this one penetrated fine, although it wasn't much of test just clipping spine and busting a shoulder...I'm still a bigger fan of the TTSX's, especially since these shot so poorly in a couple of other very accurate 243's, but I've got 25 or so of them, so I reckon we'll use them in the gun they shoot in as long as they perform this well...

Entrance...

[Linked Image]

Exit...

[Linked Image]

Spine/Bullet path...

[Linked Image]

You can see the knot on her jaw in the first picture. What I thought was an abscess in her jaw from a bad tooth was actually a hole in her cheek filled with chewed browse, acorns and grass. I'm guessing she was chewing on bones for calcium and got this wound insider her mouth.

As you can tell - the grass is pretty dead - and it was really packed in there, and there are a bunch of acorns in there, too - lots of bits and pieces of them. We have had a big crop this year.

I guess it would have become infected and abscessed, but it wasn't yet.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c.../LTC2010-FamilyPics-EmDeerDec2010156.jpg[/img]

She had been browsing on Cedar...

[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c.../LTC2010-FamilyPics-EmDeerDec2010158.jpg[/img]

I found it pretty interesting.

We didn't do as well on field photos as we normally try to - I forgot the camera and just had to snap a few after my wife brought it over after I had gutted the doe, but I know it didn't happen without pictures!

She was fat, and will eat just fine!

Entry...

[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c.../LTC2010-FamilyPics-EmDeerDec2010165.jpg[/img]

Exit...

[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c.../LTC2010-FamilyPics-EmDeerDec2010166.jpg[/img]

I feel mighty blessed to have a daughter who loves her Daddy, loves to hunt and be with me....and most importantly, loves the Lord, Jesus Christ.

Will have to fill you in on the afternoon with her sisters later, I reckon...Way past bed time!

DJ

GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Mighty fine DJ.
If I did'nt know better, I'd say you missed your calling as an author.
Thanks for the story and pics.
You are right, we are both mighty blessed.
Have a great day.
Time to do chores before church.
Amigo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DJ-Congratulations for raising your daughter the right way. Thanks for getting her involved in hunting, and making the time to take her. I bet you're proud.

The smiles say it all...

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
that there is a hamster deer

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Congratulations to you and your daughter, DJTex. Sounds like your kids are being raised the right way.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Way to go DJ.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Two thumbs up here.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Nice work hunting DJ...and even better work parenting buddy.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

nice job on the hunt & at home too. wink

-ken

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very cool, great job all around!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DJTex;
Thanks so much yet again sir for sharing these special family hunts with us, we're richer for you doing so.

Please send congratulations to your daughter on the fine shooting and that tasty looking doe. It's so cool to see the young ladies getting out there too - you know I'm a little biased there though don't you?

I'll send you a hearty tip of the hat for continuing to be a great father and mentor DJ, and of course as well doing a fine job making sure the next generation of hunters gets a firm foundation on life.

Lastly, thanks for the necropsy photos. I must say that sort of thing fascinates me and I'm always eager to learn.

All in all DJ, another wonderful post from you, exactly what we've come to expect! wink

From our family to yours, all the best in 2011.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
"nice job on the hunt & at home too."

what He said.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
L
Congrats to you BOTH!

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks for the write-up DJ and well done on the hunting/guiding!

DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, Amigo.

I always start off to do less, and it turns into a little more...grin.

It's nice to chronicle things for our family as the young ones are growing up, and it pleases me that others enjoy the hunts with us.

Seems to flow easy when it's the kids, but you understand that!

Call you later.

DJ

DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Yukon!

She is quite a blessing. Been a delight to her Daddy all her life!

DJ

DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stxhunter
that there is a hamster deer

She had it packed in her cheek, didn't she?

One of the stranger things I've seen.

DJ

DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sambo3006
Congratulations to you and your daughter, DJTex. Sounds like your kids are being raised the right way.

We're trying, by the grace of God.

She's our oldest, and has had to forgive the most mistakes and bungles by her Daddy, but she has a very forgiving heart and seems to remember the good and forget my mistakes.

It really is the grace of God - not just saying that.

DJ

DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Dave, Ratsmaker & Blue,

Many thanks, guys. Really appreciate the kind words and encouragement to invest in my children.

DJ

DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ken & Hamr,

Appreciate it guys!

The world laughs at families and values a lot, but you guys on the 'Fire always seem to offer encouragement that makes all that junk fade away!

I really think it matters that we affirm what's right with each other.

One of the biggest reasons I'm here.

DJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 117LBS, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 2,633 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,387
Posts18,527,654
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.