-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Personally, I prefer an 80/20 grind, as it makes for juicy burgers.

I will occasionally grind a slab of rind-off bacon in lieu of the 20% beef tallow I normally use. The mixed grind of bacon/venison makes for a totally different and very tasty burgers.

Respects,

Richard

Cat, the other white meat!
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have been processing moosemeat locally now for 39 years. Have done as many as 160 per year. deer and bear --never kept count. Starting on the third generation processing for some families. Been trying to cut back as I get older--hard to say no to some people.

Smartest move I ever made was several years ago I required the customers to help--even if they are only there to watch. No more explaining prices after that move.

When I get old and feeble I may take up sausage making--mean time I know a guy in Thunder Bay thats really very good--he charges accordingly.

Don't get me started on some of the crap I've sent down the road.
Meat that ain't handled properly makes me grouchy and I will explain what you did wrong--sometimes not so nicely.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Breaking down the hinds is a much easier task if done with the hind hanging.

No hooks in my wife's kitchen!

Our new house has one of the biggest attached garages in town however so I'll be good.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Tundragriz

Someone once asked how I trim the sinew off the straps so I shot this vid:

Really good and clear video. Thanks for sharing! Loved your other stuff too. The close shots of two moose looked thrilling.

Last edited by North61; 12/25/10.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Found that the DIY is always much better. You get what you want, have as much waste as you work for. You control the whole thing. Prefer to do it my way. Cheaper and turns how I want it to be. It is some work, but to me well worth the effort.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Any of you use pork butt vs. beef to mix in with the sausage?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by North61

Our new house has one of the biggest attached garages in town however so I'll be good.

Put your self up a proper hanging rail and a winch for lifting the carcasses up...For about $100 of hardware and half a days work, every time you use it, you'll wonder you never did it before..

Last edited by Pete E; 12/25/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Any of you use pork butt vs. beef to mix in with the sausage?

We use cheap pork roasts the wife picks up on sale before hand. Sometimes we use bulk packed bacon ends, makes for great burgers

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
duplicate NM

Last edited by Ole_270; 12/25/10.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by tzone
You self made burger makers.... Do you mix it? If so what % do you use?

tzone;
Merry Christmas Tom!

I'm the only one up here, well besides two of the cats, so I'm trying to be quiet and let the rest sleep.

Anyway, we've not added fat of any kind into our burger for a long time now and are very happy not doing so.

As with most meat or I suppose food related topics, it is subject to personal preference of course. That being said, we've found that fat will tend to freezer burn quite quickly as opposed to lean protein only.

We add as much "fat" as we want at the point of cooking, usually in the form of canola oil and increasingly less of that seemed to be required.

A late friend of mine who was a meat cutter would freeze the deer meat slated for burger in 1 gallon ice cream buckets. He'd then thaw and grind a bucket at a time and not refreeze it. If memory serves he would add about 20-25% pork shoulder meat into his burger at that point as well.

I should add that this chap liked "heavy" foods and as a result could not be described as svelte by anyone not legally blind. wink

Anyway, that's one way of doing it and I hope it was useful to you.

Merry Christmas and all the best in 2011 to you all.

Regards,
Dwayne

Merry Christmas and a thank you to you Dwayne.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just got a 1hp grinder for Christmas. More fun grinding your own. I like 90/10 mix. Beef fat. However any of the above mentioned are great. I plan to learn how to make sausage next. Of course Eileen's book will be a must have.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I use the cheap pork butt. Usually on sale and the butcher will grind it for you. If not I grind it myself. A good grinder with metal gears is a must. I use 75% venison to 25% pork butt. Beef is good but has a different flavor.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing butt the best! I agree.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Tundragriz

Someone once asked how I trim the sinew off the straps so I shot this vid:

[Linked Image]

I always leave it on for two reasons, 1) keeps the good [bleep] from getting bit by the freezer 2) it's a hella easier to remove when not all the way thawed (most especially when dealing with something other than fillets)

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I watched my best friend's Uncle and Grandfather cut up a couple when I was about 15. I've killed a lot of deer, and except for the first one, I've butchered them all. I usually get 3 or 4 a year and end up cutting up 20+ for friends. I make sausage twice a year for the guys and for a game dinner and pig roast the club puts on. Probably just under a thousand pounds a year. We did 250 pounds last month. Pics and recipes are in food thread.

If you cut your own game, you'll realize a couple things. It will be fresher, cleaner, and taste better because you'll be more careful with the meat. I cut up a deer for a guy this year that uses a butcher and he said it was the best venison he ever had. I made another guy hamburger. I get the fat cap from strip and ribeye loins from the butcher and grind that good fat into the venison. I add a pound and a half to every 10 pounds of meat. Again, the guy said it was the best hamburger he and his wife ever had. The number of hands that goes through your venison, and the care spent really do matter.

The other thing I'll tell you is that it really doesn't take very long. In N.Y. a CWD State, meat has to be de-boned before it can leave the State. Some of my friends have quit hunting there because of it. The lines at the butchers are long. I can get a deer out of his hide, de-boned into primal cuts and in a cooler in 45 minutes. I can do a hide off deer. Turn it into cuts and burger wrapped in butcher paper in under an hour and it'll be cleaner than any butcher shop venison you've ever had.

When I got to this rod and gun club, no one knew how to cut up a deer. They cut all the meat off the bones and then cut it into steaks, cubes, and grind meat. No one had a clue outside of backstraps and tenderloins, what meat was suitable for steaks and what was tougher. I had a guy who ground his whole deer into burger. I've given classes. I'll do a couple deer in front of someone, then watch them do it. There's always deer to do, and the more you cut up the better you get.

When we hunted N.C., the owner of the camp would skin, gut and split your deer down the middle and hang it in his walk in. Me and my buddy Joe would cut them up after supper. He had a butcher who would come over and for $35 cut up your deer. We were the only hunters going through the camp that cut up our own deer, and he was very impressed with us. It's become part of hunting to know how to process your game. One more level of competency.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I use bacon ends, deer meat, and Knorr's sausage seasoning to make a killer breakfast sausage.

Aim for the exit hole.
KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting subject. I was taught to process my own from the get go. Now days, I debone everything, Wrap it in celophane and butcher paper. Anything that is gonna get ground later gets vaccume packed.

Kelly
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i've used the same commerical processor for several years. he's a honest guy the runs a honest company. got to know him and his main guy pretty well.

i get nice clean cuts of deer.

FJB
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have always done my own. Butcher my own hogs, chickens, cattle, so why pay someone to do a few deer? Less hassle, really.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use bacon ends, deer meat, and Knorr's sausage seasoning to make a killer breakfast sausage.

I don't understand putting bacon, in sausage. I tried it once because I keep seeing it in recipes, but it just ruined good sausage as far as I am concerned. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (160user, 21, 2500HD, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 29 invisible), 1,770 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,632
Posts18,493,023
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.