Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I HATE Wipe-out, Gunslick much better. Patch-out for me next time. (Gee Wally Rogers what a mess!!!!!!!!)

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Old school,here.I still use Shooters Choice,and Sweets on the bad stuff.One thing that I have learned over the years is that they all work,or most do.You can clean with one of them,wait a little while and run a patch thru with another brand and get some more out.Most anything in the Sinclair catalog will work good. Lightman

lightman
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by boatammo
Montana extreme IMO puts the rest in the back seat.

+100

Montana Extreme Copper Killer tops the list of Sweets(that I used for 10+ years),Butches, Barnes CR-10,and Shooter's Choice amonia based products.

Bore tec eliminator and K-g 12 are both great non amonia based solvents, not quite as effective as Montana Extreme Copper Killer, however.

I have yet to try the product that gun slick makes.

I shoot a lot of guns, factory and custom frequently no matter what the weather out of a heated/AC house. It does not take long to see if a product is a will remove the copper quickly with little effort if you are shooting a bullet with a lot of bearing surface or very fast velocity.

Lots of products will remove copper with multiple applications, but Montana Extreme Copper Killer is in a class by itself(oil based also). M Extreme Copper Killer is an amonia based product. If you use one of their plastic brushes with the Copper Killer, you will have a one shot deal on removing coppper unless you are shooting an old Military rifle.

If you shoot a Savage, old military rifle, or an old Ruger bolt or #1, you are in a special class of needing the Montana Extreme Copper Killer because MOST of these rifles really copper up in a hurry.

Last edited by keith; 12/24/10.
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M

If you shoot a Savage, old military rifle, or an old Ruger bolt or #1, you are in a special class of needing the Montana Extreme Copper Killer because MOST of these rifles really copper up in a hurry.

I am seeing that my savage 30-06 that I bought for my first rifle has this problem, have to clean more frequently than all of my other rifles.

It sounds like you might want to try the gun slick foaming bore cleaner. Th biggest reason why I like it is because you fill the bore, let soak, than run patches, and repeat if you own a savage, and done. Clean gun, I always run a oiled patch in case it sits for awhile. I hated soaking patches and then running them down the bore, and having to repeat multiple times. such a waste of time. I know spend way less time cleaning guns and more time shooting them. grin
give it a try the next time you purchase some copper cleaner or if you know a buddy that has some see if you can borrow it.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
minnesota10, I am going to buy some myself.

I had a Savage 116 in 7 Mag that would shoot three shot groups in less than .185 for 4 groups, then the groups would open up to over an inch....really rough barrel. this particular rifle was pillar bedded by sharp shooter's supply, had a upgraded trigger, and pillar bedded with a muzzle break.

I sold it to a neighbor and taught him how to clean rifles, it is now his main beaver,crow, and turtle rifle. No doubt he will wear the throat out with a cleaning rod.

Last edited by keith; 12/25/10.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for Montana Extreme Copper Killer and Bore Cleaner its really great stuff. I had been using Wipe Out for three yrs but tried Montana Extreme and there is a difference.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Montana Extreme Copper Killer and Wipeout work for me. I don't find Wipeout to be messy at all if you use a Sinclair boreguide in the chamber.

Weiners are health food - My dad
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 17Hunter, 163bc, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,043 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,829
Posts18,496,613
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.