-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Long story short:Mathew's is the best. Assuming adequate funds,WHY would you purchase a lesser grade of equipment?.........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
B.S. Thats what I keep asking. Oregon guy kept saying I should start with a longer heavier bow, and he sounded experienced so I just keep asking to try and get a better feel for why he felt the way he did ??? <P>Tex

------------------------------------------------

This post was filmed before a live studio audiance.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tex,<P>I've caught this thread and read it with much interest. We all have differing opinions,regarding most matters. When in doubt,always opt for the best gear you can get,that will eliminate many unforseen pitfalls and will make great results easier to obtain. That is a rule,that is hard to fault,in my estimation.<P> You can't purchase proficiency,but you certainly can purchase excellent equipment. Why settle for less,when you aren't forced too?<P>Back to Rabid's initial question(Are they worth the money?). Yep,EVERY penny.........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Stick: For what I found these dudes running for used on the web I don't think I can go to the local Pro Shop and get a whole rig with a just a decent name brand bow either? New don't mean crap to me in this stuff, as soon as I use a new one once its used too? I don't want something thats ragged out, but used and taken care of is no problem. I found them from 350 to 500 all rigged with all the extras, some with a dozen arrows etc...<P>Was trying to get someone else to agree with Oregon guy that a heavier longer bow was what a beginner needed. Sounded like what I didn't want (yucky) but was willing to listen to more experienced bowhunters just like when I have questions about rifles I go you. Your "da man". (grin) I have relatives that bowhunt and neither one had ever had the bread for a rig like this and couldn't comment either way? Have you shot one of these rascals? Or just sticking with your basic concept of "do it right the first time"? In which I too am a believer BTW. Crap I bought a used 300 Weatherby Mark V for my first Big Game rifle 20 years ago? <P>Oh well.................<P>Tex

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tex, if you've got the money certainly buy the best...we would all be foolish not to but keep in mind the Mathews is a highly precisioned piece of equipment, think of it as a Ferrari. It takes hours of shooting and practice to perfect form, concentration and release. The lighter and faster the bow the harder it is to keep quite and fine tune. One little change of the shooting equation will be amplified, if your anchor point is slightly different shot placement and forgiveness will be more effected. The heavier and longer the bow will result in being quiter, slower and more forgivable. Me personally...I would tend to go with the 'latesst/greatest' but I've also been shooting for 20 years and know what it takes to consitently shoot accurately. It's a major pain in the azz but once accomplished it's very rewarding. Go out and spend the big bucks and get the best and when you get bored and frustrated let me know and I'll give you 10 cents on the dollar for your gear. [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]<P>Seriously, if you're interested just pick something up and try it for awhile, maybe it's not your cup of tea, if it is and you get into it than plop down the big bucks. Let us know what you end up with.<P>(oh yeah, the bow is the cheap part...it's all the other hundreds of different pieces of equipment that will break you.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tex,<P>I'm a rifle nut,through and through. But my family are all avid Archers,due to the advantages associated with that,in their state(longer seasons,often enabling one to hunt the rut). They are all Mathew's fanatics,after having been the other route(every manufacturer,you could name,in assorted models). I've run the gamut,from Traditional Longbows,to recurves and assorted compounds of different manufacture. In regards to materials used,craftsmanship employed and innnovative features(that work)Mathew's reigns supreme in my opinion.<P>The point some posters were trying to make,in regards to a short bow(axle to axle length)aren't weak links,with the Mathew's. It would be akin to making the statement,"short barreled rifles CAN'T be accurate". Simply not true. Mathew's are famous for being easy to tune and quite forgiving,even in the "dreaded" shorter lengths. That is atypical,regarding most bows,of that description.<P>So while not an Archery Guru,I've dabbled quite a bit with them and have formed a strong bias. They simply work and better than anything else. They are the Holy Grail,by which all others are measured. <P>If you can find used Mathew's equipment,for real price savings,hell that only sweetens the deal. You've taken it from a can't lose situation,to a CRAZY if you don't(grin)..........

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Men, after two pages of getting nowhere I think we have turned the corner to shoveling some serious info my way and I thank you all.<P>Spike: NOW THATS WHAT I WANTED DUDE !!! My question is have you shot one of these rascals? Not a short light bow but a mathews? What do you think ? The thing that impressed me was the couple beginners here saying that they seemed much more foregiving than many bows, allowing them to shoot Okll with only a little guidance? That was a big selling point to me. Not that it means I will not have to spend hundreds and hundreds of hours perfecting this art, but that it helped maybe cut the time? Can you see where I am coming from here? It wasn't a fancy pants name I was paying for, but a piece of equipement that would maybe help forgive some of my problems as I learned? I have access to people who can help school me and as long as there was not a serious downside these sounded cool. Not that it makes a beginner an expert, no rifle or bow can replace practice but that it might be more foregiving of my faults? It sounded like the short mathews bows might compare more favorably to a longer, heavier, cheaper bow. And the prices I had on the web used were for complete decked out bows with all the bells and whistles? Less then my local shop was wanting for a much cheaper new bow by the time they tacked on all the extra crap I needed?<P>Thanks you so much for your comments and keep em coming big guy !! <P>Tex

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tex, okay here's the skinny: the Mathews is SWEET...none better (yes, I've shot them..MQ1 and MQ-32)<P>I went back and carefully read each post and to be honost nobody is 'wrong', there is some very, very good information obviously obtained by several from first hand experience and it all comes down to you. If you can get a newer Mathews for $400 bucks what are you waiting for? It would be well worth it. I think the others are looking at it costing a minimum of a thousand bucks to get started when it's not necessary to spend that much and achieve similar results. One thing I didn't like with a shorter and lighter bow is it seemed more difficult to draw back. Remember 90% of your shots at game will be from a kneeling position (when on the ground) and most likely you'll be cold or in an uncomfortable position. You want total control over your bow, no matter what, to draw it smoothly, slowly and easily when a buck or bull is 20 yards away. Just remember Tex, the most important part is being able to hit what your aiming at, how you get there is up to you and you'll hear 100 different opinions from a 100 different people.<P>Here's my recomendation: Go buy a fully equiped Golden Eagle (or what ever) for $200 bucks on ebay. If you like the sport than blow your wad and step up for the best, besides it's always a good idea to have a back up bow. I don't think there will be much differences in a learning curve or ease of use between a quality five year old bow and an MQ-32. All you should be worring about when starting is perfecting your form. What bow you use to acheive it is really irrelevant at this point. Now go to your local pro-shop and flick a string......

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Spike: I showed Robin the pic of you, your new replacement bow and the two bullseyes. She said "oh wow"! I realized at that point she never saw your bow or arrows??? (LMAO) Women just look at differant things I guess ?? (grin)<P>Thanks so much for the info. Helped a bunch.<P>Tex

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Talus said:<P>"I can tell from Matt's post that they are less costly now than when I had to order mine from the factory and wait a couple months for it (I'm a lefty archer, too)." <P>Talus, <BR> I bought my MQ-32 close to two years ago. As I understood it at the time the MQ-32 had been released earlier in the year. I should have mentioned that earlier fwiw.<BR>Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Matt: Come on and join in here. I got the money to get a used mathews in a deal like yours lets say. Should I get one as a first bow? At least with a used mathews its not like I won't be able to get my money out of it right? If you could of bought the Mathews you own as a first bow, would you see problems or disadvantages?<P>I really respect your opinions so get back here and throw in your two cents matt. (grin)<P>Tex

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I wish I had all this advise when I bought my bow last year.There's nothing wrong with the PSE I bought but there were some new used Mathews on the rack that I could have had for a little more than I paid for my bow [img]images/icons/frown.gif" border="0[/img] ,live and learn.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Spike- [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] Now that you have your ten yard pin set, how about backing up a little Huh! I mean come on those elk aren't gonna let you jump on their bck to shoot'em [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]<P>Tex- Go for it dude, if the used Mathews doesn't pan out, just put it back on the auction block!!<P>Stick- Thanks for getting in here! The shops around here have been trying to tell me why the other bows are as good as the Mathews and haven't really been overly convincing yet. That demo of those harmonic dampers keeps ringing in my ears!<P>Wonder if I can sell enough bodily fluids to finance a new bow [img]images/icons/shocked.gif" border="0[/img] <P>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
har, har.... Mike [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]<P>That was one shot at 20 and then backed up to 30 for the second shot. I wasn't about to ruin a good thing and try for 40...maybe next time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tex, <BR> Thank you for the kind words. The Mathews MQ-32 I bought WAS MY FIRST BOW. I've been elated with its performance from the very first time I shot it. Definately without a doubt some of the best money I've ever spent. <BR> <BR> The only disadvantage I see is not buying the best from the beginning and regretting having wasted your time and money on a second rate outfit. Cheaper to go first class the first time out. I've never understood this insistance on mediocrity when excellence is soo readily available. Just make sure you buy the right bow for you. Go to a pro shop and try them until you find the bow that's right for you. Your buying the best so make sure it fits you.<P>Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sorry Dude I couldn't resist [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]<P>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 2,229 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,764
Posts18,495,635
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.