LuisL Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The spread:

[Linked Image]

The dead:

[Linked Image]

The total pull for 5 guys was 9 Greater Canada geese and 1 mallard. This is a field that I salivated over for weeks and finally got permission to hunt. It took all day, but at 4 PM, the geese and ducks started moving out of the nearby sandpit (one of the last open bodies of water down here) to feed in this cornfield. We ran out of daylight before we ran out of birds, but it was awesome. This is the first time I've ever hunted over cut corn and the first time I've had geese fly in this close to me and finish their flare into decoys.

The day started out a little awkward and somewhat tense. As we entered the field, a group of 5 guys start hauling their trailer full of decoys in alongside us. Both parties looked at each other like "who the hell are you and who said you can hunt here." After some discussion and cross-checks, we figured out that we both had permission to hunt this field and just happened to choose the same day to do so. Within minutes, all nine of us decided we'd join forces, hunt together, and make a great day of it. Everyone pitched in setting up decoys, dressing each others' layout blinds with corn stalks and discussing the spread. By the end of the day, those of us who remained (all but one guy from the other group had to leave before the birds came due to other obligations) exchanged phone numbers and set up another mutual hunt for tomorrow. It's great when everyone acts like adults and shows mutual respect. In the end, it works out better for everyone.

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Awesome job guys. Nothing finer than a plan comming together.

[Linked Image]
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Pretty cool all you guys hunted together..

W
W
Nice shoot! I had that happen last year with another group and the outcome was onot good. We ended up hunting opposite ends of the field. Not good.

LuisL Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks a lot, fellas. Wingman, that sounds like a dangerous situation depending on the size of the field. Was it a result of setting up in the dark or were you aware they were on the opposite end from the giddy up?

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Well done. Cut corn is my favorite method of goose hunting by far. And most successful of course. Regarding opposing groups in the same field, I have had it happen a few times, usually with good results. There has been an occasion or two where the resulting group was too big for comfortably hiding amongst the dekes so we split the groups. Calling etiquette is VERY important in times like that. On the other hand, once we separated groups because of egos. A young caller didn't want to relinquish the shot calling mantle to an old guy. By tradition, the senior caller sets the pace and calls the shot. That young pup called til I thought his lungs were gonna fall out! He got more birds that day but, us old guys got all the bands.

LuisL Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks, Bullgoose. That cornfield was awesome and I agree - this has to be the best way to do it if you have access to a hot field. So many birds and the layout blinds give the hunter a huge advantage over the birds if they're set up properly (and they can be adjusted to the wind, unlike a pit blind setup.) Our group was a bit big at first and pretty darn obvious. The group thinned out throughout the day, so there were no issues by the time the birds showed up. In hindsight, we would've been better served with two smaller groups using good calling discipline if the situation were repeated.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
LuisL,

Good shooting!

Can you fill me in on the loads you guys used?

I'm a shotshell geek and love to hear what is working for other goose hunters!

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Man, that sure looks fun. Heading to the swamp for some more Wood duck shooting tomorrow morning, but will be hunting over cut-corn for geese next Monday. I hope we are as successful as you were.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's awesome when a common plan comes togethher, for sure!
great hunt - I wish I could hunt in corm sometimes, all we got up here is peas! (grins)
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
IC B3

LuisL Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by elkcountry
LuisL,

Good shooting!

Can you fill me in on the loads you guys used?

I'm a shotshell geek and love to hear what is working for other goose hunters!

Elk Country

I used a mix of BBB I bought specifically for this hunt with #1 and #2 leftover from various hunts. The BBB was Hevi-Shot brand "Hevi-Metal" loads, and the #1 and #2 were el cheapo Winchester Xpert Hi-Velocity loads from Wal-Mart. The other guys were using mostly BB and BBB, but I never caught what brands or specific loads.

Believe it or not, I've had the absolute best luck with my Benelli M2 using the cheapie Winchester Xperts. I've killed far more birds (and I mean ducks, pheasant, quail and geese) with those cheap steel shot loads than with any of the premium stuff. It just patterns them so well, even with the factory chokes.

Odessa -

best of luck going after those woodies! Post some pics of those pretty drakes if you score a few. Have a blast on the follow-on goose hunt, too. The way the birds have been pushing south around here, you may very well have yourself a darn good time.

catnthehat -

Cut corn is an amazing backdrop for this kind of hunting if for no other reason than the potential for camouflage. It's incredible when the birds fly over a layout blind covered in husks thinking its just a pile of ravaged corn cobs. If you ever get to hunt stateside (specifically in the Midwest region), you've gotta give it a try.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (Anaconda, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,438 guests, and 907 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,413
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.