Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Since I enjoy stirring the pot occasionally, I'll throw this out for consideration. Which is the superior rifle -- the Pre-64 or the contemporary Model 70? Setting aside resale value, which would you declare to be superior, and why?

This post was prompted by an argument with pal who swears the Pre-64 is superior based solely upon his having read JB's "Shooting 70 Years of Model 70s." I suspect he didn't read it that closely because I don't recall JB declaring a winner in that article. IIRC, he compared one Pre-64 30-06 with one contemporary Model 70 300 WSM and group size difference was just 0.03 in.

At any rate let's see your arguments pro and con. Just let me grab some beer and popcorn first...

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As a long time collector and user of both pre and post 64s, One has to delve even deeper into differences not mentioned. For example, there are the Pre-wars (my favorites), Transitions, etc. the first couple of years of the post era, they were pretty bad, reminded me of 700s only with a better safety and trigger. Then came the Classics, circa 1992 and those are pretty fine rifles(my most accurate). Shortly after they went under, quality control was less than optimum. The new or "South Carolina" 70s I have no experience with them so I can't say although I don't care for the new trigger.

Bottom line is from a shootability perspective, the Classic (post 92) era are fantastic rifles. The Pre-64s were to a point, almost hand finished and I prefer them, but from a hunting perspective I see no difference. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
As a complete rifle, I never liked the standard sporter non-magnum Pre-64 M70. The Featherweights, varmints, match, etc., I did like.

As an action to build on, the only M70 I would refuse would be the early post-64's, or a poor QC example from any era.

Bruce

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by jorgeI
As a long time collector and user of both pre and post 64s, One has to delve even deeper into differences not mentioned. For example, there are the Pre-wars (my favorites), Transitions, etc. the first couple of years of the post era, they were pretty bad, reminded me of 700s only with a better safety and trigger. Then came the Classics, circa 1992 and those are pretty fine rifles(my most accurate). Shortly after they went under, quality control was less than optimum. The new or "South Carolina" 70s I have no experience with them so I can't say although I don't care for the new trigger.

Bottom line is from a shootability perspective, the Classic (post 92) era are fantastic rifles. The Pre-64s were to a point, almost hand finished and I prefer them, but from a hunting perspective I see no difference. jorge

Oh, I'm fully aware of the evolution. Was just comparing Pre-64 to the contemporary rifle. Your take on the trigger is interesting. IIRC, JB declared the new trigger to be an improvement. I haven't played with the new ones yet to compare.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Jorfge said most of it.

My pre- war is amazing. Very early gun. Still very accurate. The stock was atrocious for scope use. I put a Rimrock on it.

The three Pre-64 Featherweights I fool with [My son's, a friends and my BIL's are good rifles not the equal of the pre-war.

Youngest son has a post '68 PF. Exceptional rifle. Maybe better than the pre 64 FW's.

I have two mid 90's rifles, an SS Classic in .338 and an All-Terrain SS-Synthetic '06. These are the rifles I would build customs on. I would try to get one of the bolt shrouds with the gas block though.

I don't have any experience with the newest ones but I am leery of the trigger so I will likely avoid one for a while.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been a pre collector for a long time also and have used both pre and post rifles. If I had my druthers, BACO would start manufacturing their 70's with the original pre 64 trigger,I like the gas handling, shorter action features and weight of the current models. For the overall aesthetics and workmanship though I prefer the pre's by a wide margin

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Add another vote that I might buy a new one if they put the original triggers back in. I like simple, functional, ruggedness; in other words pre 64 Win 70's!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I personally think the new SC models are nicer guns, the stocks are finished with modern methods and scope friendly, the machining on the actions looks better, many of the pre64's look like they were machined with a dull butter knife. the checkering on many of them while done by hand looks like a kid could have done it.

the only problem I see is the new SC model 70's trigger, I like a sub 2# trigger which appears to be a problem with the new ones.

however the old geezer gun snobs will cry foul to everything I am saying, so be prepared.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If I remember right, the pre 64's didn't handle gas well.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
With the exception of a pre '64 M/88 with which I killed my first deer, all of my hunting over the last 35+ yrs. has been with a pre '64 M/70. Currently I have two, a prewar .257 Roberts and a later '06 which I have had rebored to .35 Whelen.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
If I remember right, the pre 64's didn't handle gas well.

ddj

Me either!!!! crazy

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Who here or who here knows someone that has had a problem with the gas handling of a pre64? It is mentioned frequently, but I have yet to personally hear of any accidents. Then again admittedly my world is a small one.

If the design is such that it can happen, no doubt the possibility exits. However, I have yet to hear of any actual events that caused harm. Certainly it seems to me at least it would be an infrequent or rare occurrence and a nonexistent event using new or properly reloaded ammo.

Who here knows of any adverse events? Lawsuits? I mean it's not like only a few bullets have been sent down the barrels of pre64 Model 70s.

Last edited by battue; 12/29/10.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by battue
Who here or who here knows someone that has had a problem with the gas handling of a pre64? It is mentioned frequently, but I have yet to personally hear of any accidents. Then again admittedly my world is a small one.

If the design is such that it can happen, no doubt the possibility exits. However, I have yet to hear of any actual events that caused harm. Certainly it seems to me at least it would be an infrequent or rare occurrence and a nonexistent event using new or properly reloaded ammo.

Who here knows of any adverse events? I mean it's not like only a few bullets have been sent down the barrels of pre64 Model 70s.

Good question. I recall reading that is was a differnce from the 98 mausers and some felt it was a design flaw of the pre64's.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
According to the experts it is a design flaw. The question however is it a flaw that warrants one avoiding the rifle at all costs or one that only evidences itself in a catastrophic situation.

Addition: I don't have any plans to cease shooting my pre64s. wink

Last edited by battue; 12/29/10.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sure I'll be run out of town for this, but I just have to say I'm not sure how much better a M70 could be than my EW in 30-06. The action is ridiculously smooth, shoots anything into little bitty clusters. The factory stock needs a little improvement. Now resides in an Edge.

I've not owned a pre-64 since I couldn't afford them years ago, so went to Mark X's, then a few Remingtons and onto M70's when CRF resurfaced.

P.S. I'm not a heathen. Nomex suit in place. eek

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
The pre-war M70s are the best looking of them all, in
my opinion. The post64-68s were the worst looking of them,
and I dont care for the black sythetic adl type they sold
at Walmart a few years back.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Karnis
I'm sure I'll be run out of town for this, but I just have to say I'm not sure how much better a M70 could be than my EW in 30-06. The action is ridiculously smooth, shoots anything into little bitty clusters. The factory stock needs a little improvement. Now resides in an Edge.

I've not owned a pre-64 since I couldn't afford them years ago, so went to Mark X's, then a few Remingtons and onto M70's when CRF resurfaced.

I might be in a suit with you if they offered the EW in a SA 7x57 grin

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Karnis

Karnis your not wrong, the EW is next on my list. Now where did I put that nomex suit eek??

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No need to wear the suit. From almost all reports they are a great rifle and they look better imo.

For those who think the trigger is a potential problem, I'm betting soon an aftermarket product will be available.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll have to respectfully disagree with JB about the new trigger. The old trigger was one of the best hunting rifle triggers ever made, the new one isn't. On average you might argue that the new trigger has better feel or whatever but it misses the point of the greatest virtues of the old model trigger - simplicity and reliability, and it can be easily tuned to a fine pull.

My take on which is best depends on what caliber you want to build. Pre-64's are ALL the same action size and are optimized for 7x57 to 30-06 length cases. They put spacers in for short action rounds and removed metal for 375 H&H length cases.

So give me a new model claw feed for short actions and large magnum length rounds. I like Pre-64's for 30-06 length cases. NONE with the new trigger..................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1234, 1lessdog, 22250rem, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,219 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,366
Posts18,506,409
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.