Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
TheDude Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I did some horse trading and have a few new rifles that need rings and bases. Two M70's and a Savage 111. 30-06 and two 300WM's.
I want to try the Burris signatures with inserts but have never used them.
Dual Dovetail or Weaver....or flip a coin or...?

Thanks,

Josh

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I's use the burris signature zee rings with the burris XTB steel weaver style bases

Last edited by highridge1; 01/01/11.

1 and done
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used the Leupold bases on my 300WM. I'm not sure what I might have done wrong but my Signatures left as much of a mark as my Leupold rings with tape for some reason. Not bad but not perfectly clean either.

Robert

Bruz
"You can't scare me.........I have kids"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use Signature Zee rings W/ Warne bases on my Savage 300 WSM. The setup holds zero and has held up well to the abuse of hunting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the Leupy bases with the DD Signature rings because the Leupys are thinner than the Burris bases.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Weaver

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
TheDude Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was thinking Warne Maxima, Weaver style bases initially but had a bad experience with Burris rings on a Ruger m77 a while back. Course they were neither Signatures nor weaver style but they had the same single screw to fasten them to the receiver / base.
I want the same system on all three rifles.
I think the DD would be very solid but I don't like the idea of having to take the scope out of the rings just to take the scope off the rifle.
Guess i'll order one set of Weaver bases and signature rings and put them on the 300. If I cant shake em loose then i'll know. Thanks.

Josh

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by highridge1
I's use the burris signature zee rings with the burris XTB steel weaver style bases

+1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Burris Signature rings are, IMHO, the only way to go.

For the dovetail style, the Leupold bases are probably the cleanest and best looking.

However, on my last set up I went with the Weaver style steel bases from Leupold. (Weaver Grand Slam or Burris steel bases would have been fine, too, if I could have found them up here.) Just think this is the more solid set up of the two.

Next thing you'll run into is ring height. Signature rings only come in medium and high...no low ones. The mediums are pretty much the equivalent of others low rings, and should work fine for objectives up to 44mm. Depending on scope make and rifle, might work for 50mm in some cases, too.

Lastly, when installing be certain both the bearing and the scope surfaces are completely clean and dry. There should be a slight gap between ring cap and ring base when properly installed...over torquing can distort the ring cap and, IMHO, probably accounts for slippage complaints. I use the Allen wrench included and firmly snug them, no need to go gorilla on 'em. I have used these rings on 300 WMs and WSMs, and the next one that slips will be the first.

If you go with dovetails, when sighting in and adjusting the rear base for windage to get on center, be sure to first loosen the front ring cap screws. This allows the scope to pivot as you move the rear sideways. Loosen, adjust, tighten, shoot, and repeat as necessary. This is a major advantage of these rings, as it prevents torquing/bending the scope tube that is inevitable with any other rings made for dovetail set ups.

Last edited by sir_springer; 01/02/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IMHO, one of the advantages of the Signature rings, is that it makes the windage screws on the rear base of the dovetail setup redundant. Thus, I always go to the dual dovetail setup. Went with the Weaver style on one rifle this year. Used the Burris XTB bases.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I use the Warne (Weaver style) bases with the Burris Signature Zee rings. I have used this combo for years with nary a problem.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Leupold DD, Burris Med Sig (40mm Leupold)

[Linked Image]

Life is just one damned thing after another
E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
I really like the Burris Signature rings because they hold tight, don't tend to mark up or crush the scope(unless badly misused), and allow offset (especially UP for longrange stuff)which is nice when using double dovetail bases.

I like the Weaver and double dovetail depending on the scope, rifle and eye relief combination. (One less thing to go wrong than with the front dovetail/rear screw adjustment)

If you haven't encountered a small paperback book called Dead On by Tony Noblitt you can find it on ebay or Amazon. It made the case for me for Burris Signature Rings.

Ennis

NRA Benefactor Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

385 members (163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 1lesfox, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 36 invisible), 2,022 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,658
Posts18,512,809
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.