Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I killed two deer this am and recovered a 129g Hornady for the first time ever after shooting a bunch of them out of the .260. Hit shoulder bone going in at a quartering to me angle, bone and bullet demolished 3 ribs, heart was exploded and loose in chest, broke two ribs going out, bullet under hide on off side. The range was about 30 yards. The remainder weighed 96g; Remington doesn't have the lock on deadly mushrooms. There is a thread running on Ask the Gunwriters about the change in interlocks-my bullets are old stock(like me lol) no doubt but I hope they don't screw them up. PH

[Linked Image]

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I like the knife. Congrats on the deer.

Camp is where you make it.
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Yeah Tzone that Helle is a great little knife and I have had and have a bunch of knives. I was in a panic the other day when I couldn't find it-it had fallen out of my coat pocket into the parallel universe of the sofa cushion crack- grin I and it have travelled a lot of miles and been through a lot of deer-it holds an edge like crazy and is scary sharp when it is ready. If you are ever looking for a great knife I don't think you can do better short of a full blown custom-and it may look nicer but doubt it would be any better or even as good. Cost $30 12 years ago. PH

Last edited by Plateau Hunter; 01/03/11.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Dontcha love those 6.5s? smile

Workin' up some 129s today using a recipe from one of the members.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OldRooster,

You shoot a 6.5x55 too don't you? Mind sharing the "recipe"? I've been trying to get a box of 129g SST's to shoot and have a box of regular interlocks in the wing when I'm done with those.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Azar - Just as soon as I get to the range I'll let you know if I have a recipe worth fooling with. I tried one or two in the past and just couldn't get good groups. The bullets I've loaded are the Interlocks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Azar
OldRooster,

You shoot a 6.5x55 too don't you? Mind sharing the "recipe"? I've been trying to get a box of 129g SST's to shoot and have a box of regular interlocks in the wing when I'm done with those.

OldRooster,

Just switching from the SSTs to the interlocks might bring about the accuracy you seek. The interlocks have a longer bearing surface than the SSTs due to the spire point and flat base, and that alone might be the key to accuracy in your rifle. It's worth a shot. The 180 grain SSTs don't shoot very well in my 308s, but flat base 180s do much better.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Big Redhead,

I think you got OldRoosters post mixed up with mine. I'll probably keep playing with the SST's until either 1) I find an accurate load or 2) they're gone. But thanks for the suggestion.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those 129 Hornadys work really well in my 260 also. There are a few pictured in this thread I started.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4757884/1

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Good record keeping Bandit. I didn't see your original post but it is interesting. The picture I posted is the only 129 Hornady that I have ever recovered out of my .260. That is out of 30 or so kills. I launch them at about 2700 fps too. PH

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Plateau Hunter
Good record keeping Bandit. I didn't see your original post but it is interesting. The picture I posted is the only 129 Hornady that I have ever recovered out of my .260. That is out of 30 or so kills. I launch them at about 2700 fps too. PH

'Hunter,
I've killed 11 deer so far with my 260 and the 129 Hornadys. I tend to shoot the deer from any angle I have as long as I can get the bullet thru the vitals. The extreme angles tend to give a better chance of finding the bullets. I personally think the Hornady 129 SP is the perfect bullet for the standard 6.5 cartridges. With the 129s, 120gr velocities are possible with the 140gr breaking and penetrating abilities. wink

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Technically if the bullet and the rifle and the caliber of the bullet and the velocity of the rifle did it's job - you never would have found the bullet because it would have passed completely through the animal and exited out the other side and kept going.

So what your post should say is that you killed an animal and was fortunate that you found the bullet.

A successful hunter never takes away from the success.
But a truthful hunter cares more about killing the game they chase as efficiently as possible and not have to worry about finding the bullet or having to chase the game to have a successful hunt.

As one other forum member posted, the bullets that retained their shape the best and most of their weight was the 6mm.
The problem was - he had a whole collection of 6mm bullets which told me that they were not very successful in a double penetration - or else he never would have found them.

Back in the day, when dad and the other family members all hunted with 30-06 rifles and used Sierra 150 gr bullets, it was not uncommon from time to time to find a bullet stuck on the far side of the cape. The deer - usually very large doe's had a lot of mass and the bullets struck the doe's at all sorts of angles.
The PA rifle season for does was only 2 days long and you could not always pick and choose your shots and you had to take what you could get.
When dad switched over to Hornady - which was probably due to the fact that Hornady bullets were .50 a box of 100 cheaper then Sierra's - the amount of bullets found during the skinning process was next to zero.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
DoucheQueenBeer will more utter bullschit and ridiculous drivel.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Technically if the bullet and the rifle and the caliber of the bullet and the velocity of the rifle did it's job - you never would have found the bullet because it would have passed completely through the animal and exited out the other side and kept going.

Maybe this is a new law of physics?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Duquensebeer

So what your post should say is that you killed an animal and was fortunate that you found the bullet.

A successful hunter never takes away from the success.
But a truthful hunter cares more about killing the game they chase as efficiently as possible and not have to worry about finding the bullet or having to chase the game to have a successful hunt.

As one other forum member posted, the bullets that retained their shape the best and most of their weight was the 6mm.
The problem was - he had a whole collection of 6mm bullets which told me that they were not very successful in a double penetration - or else he never would have found them.

Back in the day, when dad and the other family members all hunted with 30-06 rifles and used Sierra 150 gr bullets, it was not uncommon from time to time to find a bullet stuck on the far side of the cape. The deer - usually very large doe's had a lot of mass and the bullets struck the doe's at all sorts of angles.
The PA rifle season for does was only 2 days long and you could not always pick and choose your shots and you had to take what you could get.
When dad switched over to Hornady - which was probably due to the fact that Hornady bullets were .50 a box of 100 cheaper then Sierra's - the amount of bullets found during the skinning process was next to zero.

I never have to chase any animal that has caught one of my bullets. They all die within sight of me. Maybe it's because their organs and body had to absorb ALL the energy delivered. That energy is also delivered over a longer distance and thereby breaking more things along the way.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only Hornady we've recovered in 20+ years was a 117BTSP (boat tail) from a 257 Roberts launched at around 2700FPS.....son shot his first buck at maybe 75 yards. Looked just like the one starting this thread.

I would use that bullet again, but have found the Hornady 100gr flat based at around 3000fps to also be very effective, but never recoverable.

All American

All the time
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A friend of mine is three for three this season with the 100 grain Hornady and his 257 Wby., all pretty much instant drops.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 14,496 guests, and 1,048 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,166
Posts18,542,939
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.