Print Thread
Hop To
C
colodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
An evil buddy took me shopping and convinced me that I need an AR.
I have been considering buying one for the local matches, High Power and All Steel.
I already shoot Bench rest, Muzzleloader and Levergun matches.
I really like the RRA Predator Pursuit, and then I saw a very gently used Les Baer Super Varmint.
Dang, that Baer is calling me, $600 difference.
I have shot all my buddies ARs but have not owned one.
This will be a match gun not a field gun , I have others for that .
Your suggestions and direction or alternatives would be Greatly appreciated!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One that you can do both, as it is as accurate as they come and light to boot...Wilson Combat

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
colodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Oooh, I had forgotten about Wilson, I'll check it out.
Thanks Shrapnel

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I'd buy the Predator Pursuit in a second but it sounds like you'll be sorry if you don't go with the Les Baer SV.

I know what it's like to buy something that I don't REALLY want and it usually costs me in the long run because I inevitably end up getting what I wanted the 1st time!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
C
colodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
My heart isn't set,yet. I just want to buy a nice setup from the start.

"Quality Costs Less", cause you don't have to buy twice to get what you you should have bought the first time..etc. That's why I'm leaning on you guys!

Isak Dinesen

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
rost is the man to talk to. When he sees your post, he'll chime in. He has "considerable" experience with AR and match competition!

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
You can spend your money how ever you want, but for what it's worth those Predator Pursuit rifles will shoot one hole ragged groups with match grade, or as I do homemade ammo. And are gauranteed to do so.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My Predator Pursuit has not been a disappointment as far as shooting goes. It a tad heavier than the M4 style, but it shoots ragged holes, as testified to above.

C
colodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks Guys !
I don't want to make an impulse buy that I'll regret later, so I went to the local book stores and bought several AR reference books.
The AR magazines seem to give every make and model a glowing review.
Thanks for the real world reports!

Isak Dinesen

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
My 18" RRA Varmint is a tad heavy for my taste but it's one helluva shooter!! I should've sold it before I shot it..... laugh

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I loved my Baer, but it was leaning more towards bench gun. They are heavy and ACCURATE. I could punch primers out of my spent cases at 100yds fairly easy. I would go baer, just because if you do decide to sell it the resale value would be alot better.

then you could always add a PP upper if needed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buy the Baer, it's well worth $600 more than the Rock River. Baer makes extremely accurate AR's and AR barrels.

Some of the worst money you spend is money you spend not buying what you really wanted.................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't want to make an impulse buy that I'll regret later, so I went to the local book stores and bought several AR reference books.

you may want to include this in your research:
https://spreadsheets0.google.com/ccc?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&hl=en#gid=2

not horribly relevant for a match only gun, but might interest you nonetheless.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Or you could really go upstairs with a JP.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
IMHO, true match gun, hands down you get a smith to build it. Don't buy whats out there cause it won't be exactly what you want..

I run with White Oak Precision/Armament...

And its generally not going to cost you more than a top end ready to roll gun, to have one built. Doesn't hurt that the builder I use is a national champ in highpower also....

Bottom line i have 2 AR steps... one is do you simply wnat a gun to go bang and shoot an inch at 100 and be mostly reliable? If so any of the factory guns do that. I prefer RRA with Wilson tubes, due to their trigger and the Wilsons often perform much better but not always...

If you are more demanding than that , custom hands down. Tell a smith what you want to do, and do it with and how... let him guide you... thats why there is a reamer called 223 Holliger... I wanted to run a heavy long bullet and not loose case capacity.. John designed the reamer to make that work for me.... and it does.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
colodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for all your replies!
I'm working on a grocery list to pin down the project a little closer.
Your comments on what has worked for you helps a lot.

Isak Dinesen

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Another really good choice is a Bushmaster Varminter. A good "one ragged hole" gun. Heavy, but good at the bench or shooting varmints. Not something you want to walk many many miles with though.

RECESSION: when your friend loses his job.
DEPRESSION: when you lose your job.
RECOVERY: when all these bad politicians lose their jobs.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

431 members (219 Wasp, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 16penny, 51 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,843
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.