Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Marlin makes the stainless big loop pistol grip on the SBL model, so you may be able to source parts there.

I like the pistol grip myself, but that's subjective.

I set mine up with a scope on a Warne rail initially. Good setup with plenty of scope positionong latitude. Eventually after a few range trips I decided to go with XS ghost ring sights. Again a subjective choice, but I wanted slim and handy to carry.

Crimping is easy. I use a RCBS die set. You'll want to slightly flare your case mouths, and the RCBS die comes with a flaring die. Here's how you set up to seat/crimp in one pass:

- put the seater/crimp die in the press but leave it up deliberately high.
- put a charged case with a bullet resting atop it in the shellholder.
- run the ram all the way up.
- turn the seater stem up a good ways, so it will be too high to seat the bullet.
- turn the die body down until you feel it just make contact with the case.
- now start working the seater stem down and running the ram until you get seating depth right.
- back the seater stem off a few turns.
- now start slowly turning the die body down and running the ram until you achieve the desired crimp.
- with the ram fully up, and desired crimp achieved, now turn the seater stem down until it contacts the bullet.
- That's it. You can now seat/crimp in one pass.

Here's a look at the Warne rail setup,
[Linked Image]

XS sights,
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
different mag tube ?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Mine is the 1895 GBL model. It's one of the newer ones. 18.5" bbl, Lami stock, pistol grip, big loop, 6 round mag, Decelerator pad, all standard.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
nice.
i gotta see how well i like the non pg stock before i start looking for a pg model.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Shane, that rifle of yours, particularly with just the sights on it, looks great!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The guide guns are some amount of fun--that's for sure!

-As for a scope, VX-3 Leupold, 1.5-5...make sure your scope is mounted far enough forward to comfortably fit you--makes everything much more fun.

FMP

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I really like it with the XS sights. Makes for a nice "walking around" rifle.

I'm loading mostly 405gr cast at about 1200 fps. It's a lot of fun, easy to hit with out to 100 yards, and carries a lot more thump than my 44 revolver.

For a challenge using kentucky windage, I was shooting at clay birds at 200 yards one day. Drop from 100 yards must have been about 36" or so. Eventually I did break a few. I was just shooting from offhand and kneeling.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinken... no scope... good Iron sights... please tell me which ones you choose.

T

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
well, i have optics on just about everything i own.
i have an astigmastism. red dots look fuzzy as well.
i do have an eotech on one of my ar's and the circle looks like lil stars and there are multiple dots in the center.
iron sights on pistols are fuzzy as well, but these are used at very close range, so it isn't too bad to hit what's in front of it.
i am hoping it'll be here today, and maybe if work and life permitt, i can swing by the range and touch a few off before dark.
thinking if i creep the stock, i'll put a thick pad on her, so maybe the 2-7 won't get me !

so, it's gonna get a gloss leupold 2-7, just gotta figure out what i gotta do to make it work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by splattermatic
well, i have optics on just about everything i own.
i have an astigmastism. red dots look fuzzy as well.
i do have an eotech on one of my ar's and the circle looks like lil stars and there are multiple dots in the center.
iron sights on pistols are fuzzy as well, but these are used at very close range, so it isn't too bad to hit what's in front of it.
i am hoping it'll be here today, and maybe if work and life permitt, i can swing by the range and touch a few off before dark.
thinking if i creep the stock, i'll put a thick pad on her, so maybe the 2-7 won't get me !

so, it's gonna get a gloss leupold 2-7, just gotta figure out what i gotta do to make it work.

http://www.natchezshooterssupply.co...ber%20Eyepiece%20Guard%20Ultralight%20EP

grin

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
You might want to look at the DNZ mount for the Marlin. It looks really solid, and puts a bit of forward extension in the design.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
i saw one on ebay i think.
i thought it looked like it had some forward to it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
You might want to look at the DNZ mount for the Marlin. It looks really solid, and puts a bit of forward extension in the design.

Thanks for mentioning that. I ordered a Leupold FX-II 2.5X20 and Talley lows this morning. If'n it's too close, I'll keep those in mind.

Thanks again..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

I have mine set up with the EER Leupold 2.5x on QR rings and the XS rear ghost ring. Gives the best of both worlds. Can't tell you what to load, though. I haven't even gotten around to developing one yet.

Fast Ed

Define your manhood not by success, but by significance.
NRA Benefactor
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
i got out right before dark.
went by my ffl and picked up the canon.

was a bad day. i had to take my old dog to the humane soc. to be put to sleep today... i'll miss the old guy, we've had him for just over 14 years.

so anyways, i got by the gun shop just before closing and they had dual weaver extended rings ! so off came the 4x4 rings, and on went the now ones.
now i have lots of eye relief.
got to the range and and fired off a total of 9 rounds of reloads that came with the rifle.
never did hit paper, but was really trying, just wanted to get a feel for it.
eye relief is very good, with no worries of getting dinged.
recoil was a bit stout, but didn't seem anywhere near what my 338 rum generates.
i like it so far. now to move the leupold 2-7 about a foot up and a foot right. i was about there when shooting at the dirt.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
well, it took me a few shots to hit paper, and with a bit of of adjustments, here's mt first 3 shot group with 350 gr. factory ammo.
alright it's at 50 yards, but it's start.
recoil really isn't that bad. you do know you touch the trigger on something big tho.
thanks for all the tips guys.
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Splatter,

That's not too bad at 50 yards. Maybe just need to work on the load. My 100 yard groups look like that.

I can get you my load data if you're interested.

I can ship you a handful of the leadheads for you to test if you want. Just say the word.

Tom

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
sure.
i'm interested in trying diff. stuff.
i like to tinker.

off to work now, moving a drilling rig bout 125 miles, so i may be able to check in here with my phone, if not, later tonight.
pm ya when i can.
thanks

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My boss has one of these and I put an XS Ghost Ring site on it and shot it in at 100 yards with factory ammo. It was a hoot and surprisingly accurate. This would make a great woods gun. It was my first experience with a .45-70 and it convinced me to buy a Marlin 1895.

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Heres my new SBL w/ XS Ghost Sights & Nikon 2-7x32mm.
Very Pleased w/ It!! grin
P.S.
Bi-pod was to take pic only smirk

[Linked Image]

Last edited by bridgetowner; 01/05/11.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 222ND, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 260Remguy, 59 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,908
Posts18,518,596
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.