Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A series of explosions ripped through an ammunition plant Wednesday afternoon, killing one worker and injuring a firefighter while shells fired off for about an hour afterward.

Ed Gaugh, emergency management director for Fayette County, said a 34-year-old male employee died in the blast and subsequent fire at the Kinematics Research plant, which makes shells for pistols and rifles. The worker's name was not immediately released.

Oakland Police Chief Rick Jewell said at one point a large front door of the building blew off and a white fireball came out.

"It was scary; we just got out of the way," he said.

"It was a pretty horrific explosion. Rounds were going off for one solid hour. It sounded like continuous machine gun fire."

The building was left standing but was gutted and riddled with holes.

Jewell said the plant housed several thousand rounds and gunpowder. Witnesses said debris shot into the air during several explosions spanning a half-hour.

Fire crews could not get close to the building because of the danger. One firefighter was slightly injured, apparently hit by a bullet or fragment of some kind.

Cliff Davidson, owner of AAA Collision next door, said he heard a boom and went outside.

"Not long after that, there was a rat-a-tat-tat and a pop pop pop pop," he said.

The fire was brought under control about 90 minutes after the first blast was reported around 1:45 p.m. The cause is not yet known.

The company, which has been in business since 1992, makes new and remanufactured ammunition for pistols and rifles. The company's phone line was busy Wednesday afternoon.

WMC-TV in Memphis reported authorities asked its news helicopter to fly away from directly above the scene.

The plant is located in a collection of industrial buildings, including a car body shop and a concrete company. They were evacuated after the explosion. No homes are located nearby.

A company official did not respond to an Associated Press e-mail for comment.

Oakland, a town of 3,200, is about 30 miles northeast of Memphis

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/01/05/crews-scene-tennessee-plant-explosion-931504243/#ixzz1ADlAEVZe

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd never heard of that place before.. What ammo brands did they load for??

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Me too. Never heard of the company, the town or what all they do make. Evidently they do what some call "re manufactured" ammo so I don't know any more than what this article says. Must have been quite a blowup.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Here's their website: http://www.kinematicsresearch.com/

Seem to manufacture a variety of calibers.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
They must have the same " Shelter in Place " policy that this joint has....
in other words to the neighbors:
crawl under the bed and kiss your azzes GoodBye!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by djs
Here's their website: http://www.kinematicsresearch.com/

Seem to manufacture a variety of calibers.

They "re manufacture." Suppose that's the same as reloading? whistle Re manufactured sounds classier, though.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
reloading = assembling ammunition with at least one used component, usually the case.
Manufacture = all new.
Then you get into "re-manufactured" fancy term for professionally reloaded LOL

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds like a small commercial reloader to me. Calling it an ammunition plant is as much an exaggeration as calling the news media "objective reporters."

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
lol

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jewell said the plant housed several thousand rounds and gunpowder. Witnesses said debris shot into the air during several explosions spanning a half-hour.

Several thousand rounds? Bah... most folks here have that! grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have lived and worked one county away for several years. Even played golf in Oakland a few times. Never heard of it.

Weiners are health food - My dad
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Delta Hunter
Have lived and worked one county away for several years. Even played golf in Oakland a few times. Never heard of it.

They probably are heavy into Govt. contracts and keep a low profile.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've seen this ammo at gun shows and bought some. It is reloaded ammo and at a very good price. Shoots good too. Bought some 45-70.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Probably" ?

Maybe if you weren't such a goddam know it all and nosy, mouthy pest about "Border Issues" you could report on something going on in your own back yard.

24 hours (your lame post) after the fact and "Probably" ?

"Is that the BEST you can do "

Oh,..that's what you were beaking off, at that time, wasn't it ?

Azzwhole.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 01/06/11. Reason: "Getting used to it"

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
"Probably" ?

Maybe if you weren't such a goddam know it all and nosy, mouthy pest about "Border Issues" you could report on something going on in your own back yard.

24 hours (your lame post) after the fact and "Probably" ?

"Is that the BEST you can do "

Oh,..that's what you were beaking off, at that time, wasn't it ?

Azzwhole.

GTC

I don't live in West TN. area, too black, too Democrat. Why don't you mind your own business [bleep]. I didn't pull your string.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"I didn't pull your string."

Hey,.....did you just type that ?

Have you been sniffing [bleep]' GLUE today, or maybe sampling some acid you seized way back when ?

"I didn't pull your string."

or is it just your fundamentally DISHONEST nature revealing itself,....ONCE AGAIN

""I didn't pull your string."

Jesus Christ,...you actually had the [bleep]' NERVE to type that.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Shhhh.. don't tell anyone....

They also try to make it sound like bullets were flying everywhere. Not so, just not possible. Maybe a few errant cases did a little jumping around but nothing at all like a firefight.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I live in TN and I have never heard of this place.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jeez,....HTF does something so "secret" make so much noise ?

GTC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Shhhh.. don't tell anyone....

They also try to make it sound like bullets were flying everywhere. Not so, just not possible. Maybe a few errant cases did a little jumping around but nothing at all like a firefight.

I was thinking the same. Uncontained rounds cooking off isn't anywhere near the same thing as bullets launched from the muzzle of a gun. Still dangerous to have metal bits flying around, but not the same thing.

The above is not meant to take away the gravity of a lost life. Prayers for his loved ones.

Last edited by bruinruin; 01/06/11.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

683 members (16penny, 160user, 204guy, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,283 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,840
Posts18,496,843
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.