-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What the OP said was:"In the Manis/Winchester book in the section on the 1876 Winchester, he makes a comment on special .45-90 WCF ammunition made for a short time in 1878 with 450 grain bullets and 90 grains of powder intended to be fired in the Model 1876."

The Madis book does not say that and specifically references in the statement incorrectly quoted by the OP that the 45-90 went in the 1886 NOT 1876 rifle.

There is no mention or implication that Winchester EVER loaded the 45-75 case with 90 gr of powder.

You are either just a dumb turd or just want to make trouble.

Insofar as the "unopened book" goes.... here's a surprise DUH, I have virtually EVERY book ever written on Winchester lever actions, that's what happens when one has been a publisher and bookseller for nearly three decades.

You are wrong, I am right and that is the end of this conversation.

Try reading this AGAIN you idiot!

"The Winchester Model 1876 or Centennial Model was a heavier-framed rifle than the Model 1866 or Model 1873, and was the first to be chambered for full-powered centerfire rifle cartridges, as opposed to rimfire cartridges or handgun-sized centerfire rounds. And while similar in design to the 1873, the 1876 was actually based on the prototype 1868 leveraction rifle that was never commercially produced by Winchester.
The 1876 was introduced to celebrate the American Centennial, and earned a reputation as a durable and powerful hunting rifle. Originally chambered for the new .45-75 WCF cartridge, versions in .40-60, .45-60 and .50-95 Express followed; the '76 in the latter chambering is the only repeater known to have been used in any numbers by the professional buffalo hunters. The Canadian North-West Mounted Police used the '76 in .45-75 as a standard long arm for many years with 750 rifles purchased for the force in 1883. The Mountie-model '76 carbine was also issued to the Texas Rangers. Theodore Roosevelt used an engraved, pistol-gripped half-magazine '76 during his early hunting expeditions in the West and praised it."

Last edited by BossLady; 01/06/11.

Newt-Condi 2012
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Alas,....my all to brief Turdly Glory will now fade,...drift away, like a fart on the wind.

GTC

Thanks for posting my PMs but
BossLady Offline
Campfire Regular

all it does is point out that YOU have nothing to say, no proof to offer and are just a windbag who calls people they can't win a debate with playground bully names.

Assume you know what Lincoln said about "better to be thought a fool." Try it out!

So far you have proven you know nothing about 1876 Winchesters, don't have the Madis book (or cannnot read) and know nothing about BPCR rifles and matches.

Three out of three on the idiot meter.

Since I note OP has dropped out, this thread has no point and will be dropped from my list.

Adios fool.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't know wether to laugh or cry. Poor fool still doesn't understand it was about a 90 gr charge in a 45-75 case
Doesn't have a clue as to the swath a certain person swept thru the bpcr industry.
Makes you wonder about that unopened copy of the book doesn't it?

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jeez, Don,.....speaking of whack jobs,...check THIS out....

Douchelady Rides !

.....crawls,...slithers,....?

GTC

Dolt @1 meets dolt #2
BossLady Offline
Campfire Regular

What makes me wonder is:
1. The Wyoming nudnick's inability to spell
2. who the mystery man who cut such a swath through BPCR..... certainly not an illiterate sad sack like you.
3. the fact that you are so stupid that you both think 90 grains of BP stuffed in a 45-75 case is a 45-90.
4. your obvious lack of ownership of the most basic book on Winchesters, coupled with your inability to read and comprehend the author's explicit quote of TR on using the 45-90 in an 1886 Winchester.

Why don't you, the fool from "shoot the Congresswoman state"
(where there are no bears as shown in your avatar) and the "couldn't get to California" idiot just give it up?

Just as an FYI, I note for all the bluster, the loading and shooting of an 1876 (an original of course) in 45-75 stuffed with 90 gr of BP and the original 350 gr bullet has yet to take place.

Even the OP has figured it out, but you two keep trying to dig a deeper hole to validate your collective dunce status.

Just so you'll know what one looks like, here's a picture.
You two certainly validate the bell curve theory !

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BossLady Offline
Campfire Regular

keep posting my PMs, but NOBODY CARES.

All those who know anything about Winchesters knows you and the other dolt are wrong.

Would be funny were it not bringing such clarity to your STUPIDITY.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
YOU ALSO LEFT OUT THE PICTURE
BossLady Offline
Campfire Regular

need some help in how to cut and paste? LAFFIN !

Here's a [bleep]' picture, whack job
Yeah,....."Laffin",a vision of you in the throes of some sort of humor....now why does that bring THIS picture to mind ?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hehehe, Oopsy , I think you got yourself a secret admirerereerrrr.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, and I'm just THRILLED with the whole idea, to, you old Bastid!

Thanks for the kind words....

GTC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
grin UR welcome laugh
You didn't have much else going on anyway....

www.historicshooting.com
Originally Posted by Ian_Dial
In the Manis/Winchester book in the section on the 1876 Winchester, he makes a comment on special .45-90 WCF ammunition made for a short time in 1878 with 450 grain bullets and 90 grains of powder intended to be fired in the Model 1876. He does not elaborated any further, nor does he name his source for the information, which is a pity since he worked at Winchester! Since the Model 1876 was only chambered for the .45-75 WCF until 1879, how could this ammunition have been used in the mechanism of the repeater? I have heard that this special ammunition was mentioned in the May 1878 Winchester catalog, but I do not have access to that publication, so cannot verify it. Anyone out there got any further info??

Winchester made experimental versions of the 76 action that were long enough for the 45-70 though I do not know if it was for the 45-70-500 or 45-70-405 OAL. I do know these are long actions longer than the production 76 which is way long as it is.
Making one of these longer actions in 45-2.4 would not be beyond credulity. The 45-70-500 is as long as 45-90 in OAL. But these rifles were military rifle protoypes and never saw production past prototypes SFAIK. And other than looking at them in the racks at Cody I have no experience with these. There were enough problems with the extremely long 1876 action without making it longer. It is possible that 90 gr of powder and a 450 gr was more than the action was suitable for. The 50-95 shot a really short bullet and likely made less breech thrust than the 45-75.
It is conceivable that they could get 90 gr into the 45-75, but doubt they every did it, its possible it could have been tried, but this is a long way from making production rifles and ammo. The use of the 450 gr bullet is even less likely since the OAL of ammo for a 76 must be within a range that will function though the lifter block.
But anything is possible. No matter how unlikely.
Like a typo in some record/catalog somewhere that started this whole discussion.
I would also point out that while Win did load up to a 405 grain bullet in the 45-90 (for the 1886 and Single shot) it was with 82 grains of powder. It was marked 45-82. They made a 45-85-350 loading too. So this makes it even less likely that Winchester was loading a 45-90-450 in the 2.4" case length. This would be easy in a SS where OAL can be extended, as the Gov't did when loading the 500 grain in the 45-70. The repeaters are more limited.
There are Sharps Cartridge boxes marked with a 45 cal. case length they never used (2 3/4" IIRC). It was a typo...
Dan

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

479 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 56 invisible), 2,885 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,376
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.