Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
so im sorta in the market for a watch again since i never carry a cell phone.....whats a decent watch for around $100? ive destroyed a few cheap timex ones....dont really want a digital one.....

figure like anything else some your paying a premium for a name and such and i realize $100 aint alot all things considered for a watch but i dont sit at a desk all day, its gonna get dinged when i work on a press or pop the hood of my CJ to check something out cause ill never think to take it off and put it in my pocket for the minor stuff.....

if paying a bit more will mean a major step up in quality and durability ill consider it but no way am i going to pay $300 plus for one.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The way I abuse a watch, I won't pay more than about $30 for a Casio. I like the digitals, but they make analog watches too. I've had Timex and consider them junk because I've never had a good one.

The batteries last 5 or 6 years and the watch needs to be replaced by then anyway.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take it off your wrist. Hung from a belt loop in your pocket was my cure

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
What about a Swiss Army watch?

Swiss Army watches on Amazon.com

Guns are like guitars - you can never have too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I beat the hell out of this one and it's still going strong for about 10 years.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by pixarezzo

I have a couple, and they have been very good watches for the money.
I'm starting to carry pocket watches more and more however...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fossil...Loved all of them I had. Dont wear one anymore since I always have my cell phone.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, I wear a Fossil as well, Titanium if I can find them.

My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spend some money and get a really good watch that you will have for the rest of your life... www.doxawatches.com
These rock!

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Back in about 82, I dropped a few bucks on a Seiko diver's watch, and other than batteries about every three years) and an "O" ring, it cost me nothing for about 20 years. It was analog. Would buy another one if I could find one.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
Spend some money and get a really good watch that you will have for the rest of your life... www.doxawatches.com
These rock!

Don't need no stinking watch, do I Bart

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by pixarezzo

Have used the #4 in this Ad for years and it takes a beating everyday. I do not like its wrist band so I replaced the plastic band with one from the $200 version shown in #6.

Ted
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
This might not be what you're looking for but I've had a Guard dog belt clip watch that I got through Duluth Trading Co about ten years ago. It hangs on my tool belt and takes abuse everyday. I have the black plastic covered model but they make a leather covered one that looks slightly dressier. Mine is on it's third tool belt if that gives you an idea of its durability.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Sorry forgot to attach link: http://www.guarddogwatches.com/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Don't need no stinking watch, do I Bart

I still think you cheat somehow... It's gotta be a trick...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Before I decided that a cell phone was all the watch I needed to carry, I went to carrying a good pocket watch. One doesn't seem to suffer the abuse common to wrist watches for a working man.

μολὼν λαβέ
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
Spend some money and get a really good watch that you will have for the rest of your life...
You make a point..

After going through a few watches that couldn't stand up to punishment, I bought my first Movado in '87-'88.. I still wear it today.. All it's needed has been batteries. Finally wore out the band and Movado wanted $300+ for a new one.. I just replaced it with a $15 leather strap at the local jeweler..

Anyhoooooo, that $400 watch has lasted 22-23 years and should keep going another bunch before I finally toss it..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My favorite for the last 10 years has been a Citizen Eco Drive Diver. You can find them at less than $200 if you shop around. They have an electric, quartz movement but use a solar cell in the face to keep the battery charged. Since you never have to change the battery, you don't have to open the case, so the water proof integrity is not compromised. I'm on my third one now. My sons snagged the other two. It has proven to me to be about the most "bullet proof" watch I have ever owned.

Harry
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have a couple of nice watches (wrist and pocket) but my "daily driver" is a Timex Expedition. Keeps good time, has a nice analog face, lights up at night if I need to tell the time in the dark,tells me the date. That's all I want a watch to do on a daily grind basis.

They cost about $60 and are damn near indestructible. It won't last like a Rolex Submariner, but it ain't spendy like the Rolex, and in any case I don't scuba dive. The Timex is cheap enough that if I get nasty ER stuff on it I'm not afraid to throw it in the dishwasher. If I have to buy one every few years or so it's not a big deal.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Unlike the Rolex, the Timex will probably also keep accurate time.

rattler, try the pocket watch angle, if you are that hard on wrist watches.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, Amos63, 16 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 883 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,941
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.