-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mr. O'Connor, welcome to the campfire. It's an honour to have you here.

Could you tell us a wee bit more about the commemorative rifle? Specifically, is the stock design faithful to your dad's rifle? Any details you could provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
welcome old geezer. i too grew up reading everything your dad wrote. as with many here, the 270 win is a favorite of mine. looking forward to your future posts here on the fire'.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have a couple of JOCs books here somewhere, he also thought
highly of the Savage Model 99T in .250 Sav, and when the
358 Win came out in the 50s he commented that it would be
an excellent woods gun.

C
C
Originally Posted by RickF

Could you tell us a wee bit more about the commemorative rifle? Specifically, is the stock design faithful to your dad's rifle? Any details you could provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

I have no specifics about the design because, ultimately, the final product will depend on what the new Winchester people can do with machines since it is unlikely that much of the work will be done by hand. The O'Connor Center's design proposal to Winchester was drafted by Darrel Inman and by Buck Buckner and Hank Kaufman. Buck and Hank own several Jack O'Connor rifles, including quite a few stocked by Al Biesen. The three probably know as much about Biesen design as do Al and Roger themselves.
By the way, I appreciate the support for the center voiced by Campfire members.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Welcome Mr O'Connor! If I ever get into the area a stop at the center will be my first priority.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Well worth the trip. In July we detoured through Lewiston just to visit the Center. Definitiely worth the effort. We dropped off a photo with the staff of Al Biesen holding a Bob Owen Springfield that Roger Biesen worked on for me. A great bunch of knowledgeable volunteers and some very unique exhibits make the JO'C Heritage Center a must visit.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was thinking about a nice new Kimber 84L in .270 when I remembered this thread. Anybody have any idea what ever happened to this? Might hold out to see what this .270 looks like before buying anything. The Jack O'Connor Lost Classics II book came out a while ago.

Lou

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
The original post on this thread was in Feb of 2009, the poster said the rifle would debut at the shot show in Jan 2010, it doesn't seem to have ever panned out, unless your hoping they delayed it another year to debut in 2011.............Hillbilly.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
The original post on this thread was in Feb of 2009, the poster said the rifle would debut at the shot show in Jan 2010, it doesn't seem to have ever panned out, unless your hoping they delayed it another year to debut in 2011.............Hillbilly.

I was at last year shot SHOW and went through Winchester's booth pretty thoroughly.I spent most of my time trying to figure out how get their .243 m70 Featherweight display gun with XXX wood under my coat so I could sneak it out the door..LOL.

Sure did not see any Jack O'Connor Commemorative rifle there. And no mention of it in the 2010 catalog ,either.

I think it's a good idea ,though.

Last edited by jim62; 01/05/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Campfire_olgeezer: I also welcome you to the Campfire and hope you enjoy your time here.
I was lucky enough to meet you a few years ago out in Lacey, Washington.
I was an admirer of your writings when you wrote for the Seattle newspaper some decades back.
I also got to meet your father and mother at an NRA convention many years ago in Portland, Oregon - classey people they were.
I am now on a mission to start rounding up monies to purchase one of the Jack O'Connor Commemorative Rifles.
I can't wait to see it
As I write this in my home library I am looking up at a "full" collection of your fathers books and novels - including an original leather bound Derrydale Press First Edition copy of "Game In The Desert" 1939 - copy #238 of 950.
This book is signed by your father and dated 1939 "Tucson" and is addressed to: "Olive Lerrick" who taught me everything I know about music and who will forever live in my heart"
Jack O'Connor
Can you shed any light on who this "Olive Lerrick" or "Olive Lerrish" might have been?
The printed message is only difficult to discern in the last 3 letters of Olives name.
Again welcome to and enjoy the Campfire - and a Happy New Year to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Dale Gibbons
Dillon, Montana

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Too bad it will be in a .270 when the .280 is so much better. smile

Last edited by tzone; 01/05/11.

Camp is where you make it.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I visited the Center last fall along with another 24hr guy Dan. It was kind of awe inspiring for a hunter and shooter we are still taking about the rifles. I will be interested in this rifle as well.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll be rat-holing some money right away.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by tzone

Ahhh..

The .280 will be the chambering for the "Jim Carmichael commemorative".. grin

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Wow. There's absolutely no telling how many young'uns were vicariously introduced to sheep mountains, African plains and even Indian tiger beats by your Daddy. I know more than one squirrel I dropped back in the '60's was taken with a .270 and wearing horns of some sort until I walked up to it and came back to reality. Have not yet seen the Lost Classics but have a few other originals. If there's anyone that can be influenced to do so, a complete compilation of J.O'C writings for Outdoor Life would draw a quick purchase by me and I'm sure many more. Great memories there. Thank's for posting.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by campfire_olgeezer
Originally Posted by RickF

Thanks for your time.

I have no specifics about the design because, ultimately, the final product will depend on what the new Winchester people can do with machines since it is unlikely that much of the work will be done by hand. The O'Connor Center's design proposal to Winchester was drafted by Darrel Inman and by Buck Buckner and Hank Kaufman. Buck and Hank own several Jack O'Connor rifles, including quite a few stocked by Al Biesen. The three probably know as much about Biesen design as do Al and Roger themselves.
By the way, I appreciate the support for the center voiced by Campfire members.

Your dad, along with my dad, were two of my heroes growing up.

I've told a few tales about my dad on this forum, if you ever felt like adding a story or two about your dad -I know many on this list would be grateful.

Regards,

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looking back on my O'Connor books and all the old magazine articles I read over the years since the 50s and 60s, it seems discordant for his kid to call himself an old geezer -- until I realized that I am one too. <g>

I'd very much like to see the Commemorative, and I surely think it is a great idea. Jack probably taught me to appreciate Al Biesen stocks, too. I am fortunate to have one myself, a buttstock with LH cheekpiece Al made for Jim Bell's 500/450 H&H double, which I have owned for the past 25 years.

Norm

Originally Posted by campfire_olgeezer
Originally Posted by GF1
Update to plans for the Jack O'Connor Winchester Model 70 Commemorative. Caliber .270 (of course), to be introduced at SHOT SHOW next January. Gun reportedly will be introduced with the Version II of "Lost Classics" book of some more of Jack's unpublished work. No word of how many will be produced, but they will be special.

More later...

Your information is accurate and I am delighted that the word has gotten out about the commemorative.

Bradford O'Connor, Jack's little boy

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Commerative firearms have always seemed a bit cheesy to me.

Nothing against Jack O'Connor, John Wayne or Dale Earnhardt, but I don't want their pics and names engraved all over my guns so I can be charged out the ass for it.

JM

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I gotta agree with ya on that Big John, and you can throw all that "Bone Collector" chit in there with it..............Hillbilly.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by jim62
Originally Posted by tzone

Ahhh..

The .280 will be the chambering for the "Jim Carmichael commemorative".. grin

I would buy that. smile

Camp is where you make it.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 4th_point, 2ndwind, 20 invisible), 17,495 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,997
Posts18,540,249
Members74,053
Most Online21,066

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.