Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Is it possible for a non resident to draw an early rifle elk without max points?

I just read over Huntin Fool's magazine and it would seem near impossible with only 2 non resident licenses being doled out per unit.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
any things possible - like obummer will do anything that will actually benefite the U.S.

ya can't win if ya don't enter

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Possible for anyone to draw with 0 points... in fact, most years, some lucky SOB with 0-2 points draws a tag for each of the early hunts. Couldn't tell ya if he's a resident or not though.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
It is possible but I figure youd have a better chance on winning the lottery.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So does anyone with less than max points...

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
IC B2

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Depends on the unit, for the most sought after, historically, no, there are no NR tags available after the 20% pass draw. The others, possibly, each year would be different.

Unless you are committed for the long haul of buying licenses and applying every year until in the 20% pass of the unit you want, don't start. You will have a shot at getting an archery rut tag, that's what someone should apply. If you don't draw and build points close to an early rifle, switch until drawn for that.

If it's early rifle or nothing, figure the price of licenses for the amount of BP years.

Kent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And once you figure the cost to build to max points, your physical condition in 20 years, then just go talk to the White Mountain Apache and get on the list for a bull tag...

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
20% pass for the early rifle have been 18 or 19 in most units the last couple years. So with a loyalty and hunter safety point, it'd be 17 years of waiting.

When the pass% went from 10 to 20%, it effectively made the NR draw for these tags a PP system rather than a BP system.

There is a report that G&F puts out with the NR breakdown, was in a book they sold for around 70 bucks, I imagine that's still the case.

Breakdown for all applicants are found here, but doesn't break R/NR, once you get a feel for the numbers, it's easy to read the units.

http://www.azgfd.gov/eservices/docu...nusPointReport-BonusPassbyHuntNumber.pdf

Kent

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
2009 I drew 1 of 2 NR tags for an early season mzzldr tag...with one bonus point. The hunt of a lifetime. I'll be playing the game as long as I'm above ground. I can only hope that everyone else gives up trying.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
1st time I put in, I drew the early tag for Unit 27 near Alpine. My best friend put in on the same tag, and he had been trying to get drawn for 20+ years. While the odds may be great, some luck is involved here as well. Oh by the way, we both shot nice bulls, mine was a 6X6, that according to the meat packer went over 900lbs.

Good Luck

Jerry

NRA Endowment Life Member
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JerryEden
1st time I put in, I drew the early tag for Unit 27 near Alpine. My best friend put in on the same tag, and he had been trying to get drawn for 20+ years. While the odds may be great, some luck is involved here as well. Oh by the way, we both shot nice bulls, mine was a 6X6, that according to the meat packer went over 900lbs.

Good Luck

Jerry

You have a great friend. You can thank him for letting you use his points to get drawn. I wish I had friends like that. wink

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by bluefin1
Is it possible for a non resident to draw an early rifle elk without max points?

I just read over Huntin Fool's magazine and it would seem near impossible with only 2 non resident licenses being doled out per unit.

The non-resident quota is limited to 20% of the total tags in a unit. There are hunts that are so over-subscribed that unless you have max bonus points- which puts you in a special pool, you cannot draw that tag. I cannot tell you which units specifically this applies to on early rifle hunts but certainly unit 1. I don't believe you can draw an archery bull tag in unit 9 without max bonus points if you are a non-resident either- the 10% quota is reached by non-residents that do have max points. There is no way to know for sure until the draw as there is no guarantee on who and how many apply for a certain draw. You can only use historical data to extrapolate a likely scenario.

I drew an archery bull tag in unit 10 with only my hunter ed bonus point but then I am not subject to the 10% restriction.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hunts near the boarder bring in 6 illeagles get a free hunt of course that dead or alive

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,184 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,767
Posts18,495,660
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.