Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I am looking to top off my new 7 RM. Let's here pros/cons and compare the scopes below. Best glass, dependability, reliability, holds zero, ergonomics, etc.

Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40
Minox ZA5 2-10x40
Swaro z3 3-10x42

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
They'll all work fine.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Leupold makes good scopes mechanically but are lacking in their glass. Minox has GREAT glass but mechanically are not yet proven being new to the market. Swaros are great but you pay for it. Minox weighs less than the other two and is usually shorter with greater eye relief. Minox also has the best warranty. You fall down a mountain and land on the scope they replace it. Overall the Minox is the best buy. I would also strongly consider Trijicon Accupoints, Zeiss Conquest and Bushnell Elite 4200s. The Elite 4200s are being renamed and can be found dirt cheap right now. Great scopes with Rainguard but CS sucks. The Trijicons are the best scopes for hunting and low light due to the reticle, but don't have the magnification range of the ZA 5. The Conquest has etched reticles and great glass. I list the scopes I own in this order for hunting large game:

Trijicon Accupoint
Minox ZA 5
Elite 4200
Zeiss Conquest

Become one with nature, then marinate it!
http://windrockphotography.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jetwrnch
Leupold makes good scopes mechanically but are lacking in their glass.
there are some that wouldnt agree with that

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Swarovski Z3 is top shelf quality, but if you only got $300.00 to spend, Leupold will kill deer also. Your question is like comparing a Berretta shotgun vs Mossberg IMO.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ouch! Leupold ONLY rates equal to a Mossberg???

NRA Patron Member.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by herschel34
I am looking to top off my new 7 RM. Let's here pros/cons and compare the scopes below. Best glass, dependability, reliability, holds zero, ergonomics, etc.

Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40
Minox ZA5 2-10x40
Swaro z3 3-10x42

Herschel34, I tried the Minox 2-10 and it has great glass but flare at 8-10 and somewhat critical eye positioning. I sent it back and got the Minox 3-9 the glass is very very good, it tracks real good, its light, eye positioning is not critical in my opinion, the euro style focus could be a little stiffer and the reticule is thin like on a standard Leupold. I have this scope on a Kimber Montana in 308 and I had to go with Talley LW mediums because the 42 inch objective hits the shank of the barrel in lows. It is a few ounces lighter than my Conquest scopes. It has held zero just fine over the last 5 months. Of the 11 scopes that I own I like the Conquest 2.5 x 8 the best, this one second best at this time. I do like the darker reticule in the Conquest but I think the 3x9 Conquest is just too big for what it is. I have never owned a swaro scope but of the Leupolds I own I have only had one give me a problem and I think it was the weird Thompson Center rings I purchased (a mistake) and in tightening them I was mashing the scope tube. John Barness article regards "farmer tight" is appropriate.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'd take the Leupold and skip the others.
First of all, when properly compared, Leupold matches almost everybody in their price range when it comes to both low light and resoloution. Of the very few that beat it, they only do so by the smallest margins. Ask Barsness about what he found in his testing. I suspect that Leupold sometimes gets low marks in this area because there are still lots of people who don't realize that it is possible to focus not just the scope's reticle, but it's image as well.
Second, their reputation for being tough and reliable is exceeded by none as far as I can tell. They have a very extensive reasearch and testing program just for this, unlike most other makers.
They have a couple of features that I really like. One is their insistance of using large eye boxes in their designs. That makes it easier to acquire the scope's image when in a hurry. The other is their super tough coatings which will help maintain their fine optical properties over the years. E

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Gone_Huntin
Ouch! Leupold ONLY rates equal to a Mossberg???

My exact sentiment. A VX-3 = Mossberg? crazy Not sure what to make of that. confused

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Eremicus
First of all, when properly compared, Leupold matches almost everybody in their price range when it comes to both low light and resoloution. Of the very few that beat it, they only do so by the smallest margins. Ask Barsness about what he found in his testing. I suspect that Leupold sometimes gets low marks in this area because there are still lots of people who don't realize that it is possible to focus not just the scope's reticle, but it's image as well.
Second, their reputation for being tough and reliable is exceeded by none as far as I can tell. They have a very extensive reasearch and testing program just for this, unlike most other makers.
They have a couple of features that I really like. One is their insistance of using large eye boxes in their designs. That makes it easier to acquire the scope's image when in a hurry. The other is their super tough coatings which will help maintain their fine optical properties over the years. E
DO YOU CUT AND PASTE THIS DAILY?

also Leupold has excellent CS but as many have noted it was because it had to be used so whats going on with their R&D

Last edited by SAKO75; 01/10/11.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
There are Leupold haters around here, along with Leupold lovers.

ABL syndrome vs. NBL syndrome.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
also Leupold has excellent CS but as many have noted it was because it had to be used so whats going on with their R&D

I'd ask about QC, more than R&D.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
he mentioned research & testing

― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was going to say yesterday that the 3-9 Conquest belngs on that list, but I'm guessing the OP is trying for light weight here based on the three choices. But i'd STILL put that particular Conquest on the list. The 3-9x40 Conquest is a kickass scope, period, and with the price factored in is simply awesome value.

Of the three, I would approach the Minox with a bit of a hairy eyeball due to it's newness. I have a 3-10x42 Swaro AV (which are essentially the same as the Z3, and are out there for ~$800 right now!) and it's been great on my light .325. I'd buy another if I could.

Have not owned a Leup 3.5-10 but I've had several 2.5-8's and looked through plenty of 3.5-10's. Based on my experiences with Leup and the above, I'd call it a very good scope and would be happy to own one. When the rubber met the road though, my last two scopes have been 3-9 Conquests. Looong constant eye relief (you Leup guys don't know what you are missing!), excellent glass, very very good in low light, etched (dark) reticle, and every one of the half-dozen Conquests I've had, tracks and returns to zero very very well.

Just IMHO.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I currently own all three of the scopes your mentioning along with the Conquest, I really don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I can tell you that the Minox is the most difficult to sell if you ever want to, as I just witnessed last week in the classifieds here. If I had to choose one, I would probably take the Conquest.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Eremicus
First of all, when properly compared....... E

New code word for focused ?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by herschel34

Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40
Minox ZA5 2-10x40
Swaro z3 3-10x42

I can solve your problem as have one of these for sale, excellent shape and much better scope than the others...$750.00

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Minox ain't been around long in the scope department so we shall see.

That said, I'd run a the Leupold or Minox before I would another Z3 Swaro.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Minox ain't been around long in the scope department so we shall see.

That said, I'd run a the Leupold or Minox before I would another Z3 Swaro.

Steelhead
I was ready to push the button on buying a Z3 so can you fill me in on what problems you had with them?

I was switching to Swarovski because the Z3's I checked out were lighter yet just as bright as my Zeiss...

Thanks

Ted
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Of the two Leupold (which I have several and like so dont put me in the Leupold hater group) or Minox; the deals on Minox's that Doug has been running at Cameraland are very tempting.

Last edited by old_willys; 01/10/11.

Ted
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (257Bob, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 222Sako, 61 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,995
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.