Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Gentlemen-

Wondering if you could help sway me into making the correct selection, or possibly I will find my own concrete answer in my typing of the question?

As a lefty, rifles are somewhat difficult to come by in other than 30-06. And I have a decent selection of LH rifles, most of which are semi-custom in McMillan stocks. I have a wide array of calibers and have most covered. But one niche I do not have covered is a short barreled "brush" gun. Until now, there was never one available from the factory.

I was all set to order a lefty Hawkeye in 338RCM. It's hard for my FFL to locate one from a wholesaler at this time.

I'd wanted an African since they came out. Just "because".

My favorite caliber is the .338 Win and I am trying to work the kinks out of a factory LH Win 70 in 338. Also have a Borden built 375 RUM, which is a good handful to take on brakeless. Very accurate though. But this is a 25" barreled scoped rifle.

THe overall package of the short Ruger Compact Magnum is exactly what I am looking for, and that right there may be my answer. With all the talk here recently of the .350 Remington Magnum, it's hard not to want one after my father had one each of all the 600s and 660s at one time and both the 600 and 660 .350s were just sooo cool, as is the 673. Just seems like the .350 hits so hard....

But having just read Phil's piece on there not being much difference in a +/- .020 in diameter, is there really any difference in the 338 RCM and the .350RM that I am pining over?

Was thinking a CRF-LH-SA is not going to be easy to come by again, or currently rare, and I should capitalize on it right now. I reload all my ammo though I worry about the longevity of the 338 RCM I will be able to load for it for some time. Was wondering if the action would be able to be rechambered in 338/300 WSM at a later time?

Or capitalize on the 375 African in LH, which is readily available from distributors right now? Would have what would seem to be a rising star with a wide array of bullets and the ability to reduce loads and use a majority of the time down here in WA and ID?

I have no idea what it would cost to bob a 23" barrel back to 20"? And would the front band sight on the African be able to be re-used in the shortened barrel?

I guess overall, I see the short 20" rifle as a rifle that could easily become my all around carry rifle for bear calling(which I have done with success at 30 and 7 yards), berry picking, and woods still hunting.

THoughts?

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
JJ,

I have the .300 RCM Hawkeye and the .375 Ruger Hawkeye African and have had them since each model appeared. They are different rifles as you noted, and the RCM model is compact and handy.

After I shot the .375 Ruger a bit I sent my .338, .358 and other .375 rifles down the road in favor of the Ruger.

I like the .300, and think of it as a .300 H&H in a small package. wink

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I would just go ahead and get the .375 African, and not even worry about cutting 3" off the barrel. The .375 Ruger is going to be around for a long time; I'm not so sure about the .338 RCM.

If you find the recoil a little more than you might want, the .375 can always be loaded down a little to .350 RM level.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thank you for the response. More headaches. Answer is BOTH. Not possible right now. And I am sure you know that just because the company says they are available doesn't always mean that you can get your hands on one. I have seen a few LH RCMs on the various gun sites, but wholesalers are out. The African is available right now.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
JB, when you say you're not so sure on the 338RCM, is that just a reflection of uncertainty vs the 375 Ruger, or do you think there is a good chance that it will fade away?

It seems to me to be a great package, do you have any insight on how well it is selling?

I've been thinking that one might be a great compliment to my 260 mkII.

I am free only because thousands of brave Americans have given their lives' for me.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I can't find ammo over here anywhere. Not that I can't roll my own, but I just don't feel it ever caught on. And I don't think it's gaining any ground either.

Doesn't really sway me one way or another, but I think the 375 Ruger was a home run, and think it's becoming more and more popular while the 338RCM was a never was and is becoming a never will be. But that's my opinion.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
None of the RCM rounds are selling anywhere nearly as well as the .375 Ruger, from what I have heard. If they don't sell all that well, eventually finding brass will be a problem.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You will always be able to make 300 and 338RCM brass from its parent if you needed to. I love the concept of the 338RCM, but we cant get loaded ammunition let alone brass here in Australia.

If I found an RCM real cheap ... I'd jump on one.
Cheers...
Con

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
None of the RCM rounds are selling anywhere nearly as well as the .375 Ruger...eventually finding brass will be a problem.

If it comes to that, shouldn't a dedicated looney still be able to trim down and form .375 Ruger brass?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
Thank you for the response. More headaches. Answer is BOTH. Not possible right now. And I am sure you know that just because the company says they are available doesn't always mean that you can get your hands on one. I have seen a few LH RCMs on the various gun sites, but wholesalers are out. The African is available right now.
.................I tend to agree with JB on this one. Go with the 375 Ruger African and scrap the 350RM and the 338 RCM idea. Although I personally believe the 338 RCM will hold its own and brass will be more available, future market forces may disagree with me. I think the 338 RCM packaged in the Ruger Hawkeye is a real sweetheart.

You can load up the 375 Ruger, which will give you 270 Win trajectories using the right bullet in the more open country. Or you can load it down for shorter ranged timbers, woods and brush hunting.

As a Ruger Frontier and Ruger Alaskan owner, I have an affection for shorter and handier rifles which can also perform some long ranged work. Check with a smith to see if the African`s factory front open sites near the muzzle can still be used if you decide to cut the barrel down to 20"...If not, then just keep it as a 23" barrel.

It appears that what you REEEEELY want, is essentially a left handed 20" barreled 375 Ruger Alaskan, which Ruger doesn`t make,,,,,,,,yet!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I suppose the perfect answer (other than "get both,") is/was the few limited-run 375s in stainless/laminate with the 20" barrel. Those are pretty rare, and IMO over-priced, but shouldn't be too hard to duplicate.

I picked up a LH ss/lam .300 Win Mag with the intent of rebarreling (short ~21") to .358 Nukalpiaq (375 Ruger > 358.) I'll get the short package, controlled feed, stainless, a powerful 35, and best of all- left hand.

If I didn't care about the stainless, the LH 338 RCM gives almost all of what I want, plus in a SA package.

Support your local brewer.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've had a 375 ruger african for a while and really like the balance and performance of the rifle. I used it on safari in 2008 for 5 one shot kills. After the safari I picked up a 375 alaskan thinking the shorter length and stainless finish would make a nice bear gun. I was just thinking black bear but wanted the extra power because there are a lot of griz in the same area and run ins with them are getting more common.

Sometime after that I picked up a SS 338 rcm here on the fire and have since sold the 375 alaskan. I love the way the 338 rcm shoots and it's a joy to carry in the field. Mine wears a vx 3 2.5-8x36. I get the same speeds out of it's 20" tube that I did from my 24" shilen barreled 338-06. It's not the powerhouse that the 375 ruger is but I'm shooting 225g interbonds at 2650 fps and I'm working on a load for 210g partitions that is approaching 2750.

It's sad but as much as I like the rcm I do fear it is already dying. I stocked up on brass when midway closed it out a while ago because I plan on keeping mine.

I've had a 350 ruger in a MKII, a 338-06 on a SS MkII action, and the 375 ruger alaskan that were all nice but have all gone down the road while the rcm remains in the safe. The 350 was nice but I have the same level of confidence up close with the rcm, yet I figure the rcm gives me a bit more range because it's easier to find higher bc bullets for it. I see the 338 rcm as middle ground between the 300 wsm and the 350 rem mag which I don't think is a bad place to be. Of course I still have my 375 in the african too.

Bb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I sure like the portability and performance of my 338 RCM. Getting 2750 with a 225 accubond. It isn't a production Ruger but one I put together last year. It is on a tang safety SA M77. It has a 22" #2 lilja SS in a McMillan ultralight stock. It weighs 7 lbs and is a joy to carry.

I also have a 8 lb 375 Taylor which I fear maybe come a safe queen now that the 338 RCM is around.

Thanks for the heads up on possible scarcity of RCM brass. I did a fast internet search and found some on sale for $41.75 per 50. I am now stocked up with a total of 350 rounds which should last me the rest of my life.

I'd say that if the lefty actions are hard to get then grab either one before it disappears.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

The Ruger Compact Magnum in 338RCM is one sweet package. I was looking for another 338-06 when I decided to give this RCM a try. I'm glad I did!

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
try to get one the few LH 375 Ruger in laminated stock ...

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I had the opportunity to possibly get into one of the rare 1 of 100 stainless Ruger 375s in LH when they came out. And I had the opportunity to see the wholesale....I think they were $670 or so. So I have a problem paying $1400 that they are now asking for the "last one".

I made a trip to a gunshop today and fondled both, well, kinda. They had a Hawkeye in 358 Win. 22" tube and no sights. But got the gist of the short action and the trim barrel. Nice!

And I handled the African for a while as well. Gosh, they both seem incredible light and lively. Much lighter than a 700 or so it seemed. Poster above got it right. My 338 RCM would be topped with a 2.5-8 with the BC reticle. Got it ready to go.

And I think I walked away making the decision of going for the 338 RCM if we can locate one.

The sights on the African really come alive, and I'd be almost too afraid to jack with them by lopping the barrel and having them put back on. I don't think the set is adjustable at all, except maybe to drift the rear blade? So I guess I'd wind up with an unregulated rife and have to further jack with differing height front sights?

And though I am relatively young I've pretty much always had a scope on a rifle. This/these are rifles that I would want to actually have some confidence in them shooting where they are supposed to with the open sights.

And since I trolled for Phil's opinion about the selection I am not going to try and BS anyone about the need for a Grizzly stopping gun. 'Specially him. But I am a bear fanatic and am into and onto bears about non stop when they are above ground. I would really like the chance to "impress one" if need be at 50 yards or under.

The 235 TSX and a moderate to light load, with no flinching and detached retinas, would be a nice deal to pack around.

But I may wind up doing the same with a 185 TSX in the 338RCM?

I HAVE NOT researched brass and it sounds like it's already hard to get(338 RCM). Which makes me think a 338 WSM eventually, or a 358 RCM? Or the 350 WSM? I just hate to get burried into a project and not have the rifle feed or function at all.

Since I never had a short action Ruger, as they were never available til recently, don't they have a 3" magazine/AOL working length?

The answer is both. So leftys, watch the classifieds for some LHs going up.

Last edited by Jesse Jaymes; 01/11/11.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
................. Although I personally believe the 338 RCM will hold its own and brass will be more available, future market forces may disagree with me. I think the 338 RCM packaged in the Ruger Hawkeye is a real sweetheart.

Absolutely agreed. The 338 RCM is a winner in my book.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll throw out another option; split the difference:

Ruger should be chambering the African in 9.3x62 in 2011. Be patient and look for a good deal when they're out. Buy one, take it out the box and run with it! There is good load data for flat shooting 250grainers, there's bread and butter loads for the 286ers, and there are some big bruiser 320grain loads. As world-wide/universal the cartridge, ammo and reload components should be available.

If you want the 338RCM, do the same and wait for the 2011s to roll out the door and look for a deal. Whichever you choose, plan ahead and buy your reloading supplies in bulk. Unless you have deep pockets, you MUST reload to regularly shoot the cartridges you're discussing.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GaryVA
I'll throw out another option; split the difference:

Ruger should be chambering the African in 9.3x62 in 2011. Be patient and look for a good deal when they're out. Buy one, take it out the box and run with it! There is good load data for flat shooting 250grainers, there's bread and butter loads for the 286ers, and there are some big bruiser 320grain loads. As world-wide/universal the cartridge, ammo and reload components should be available.

If you want the 338RCM, do the same and wait for the 2011s to roll out the door and look for a deal. Whichever you choose, plan ahead and buy your reloading supplies in bulk. Unless you have deep pockets, you MUST reload to regularly shoot the cartridges you're discussing.

Best smile

Gary, are they making them in LH? Doesn't matter to me, but it does to to OP.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
If they are going to make left-hand 9.3x62's, that would be an EXCELLENT solution. The 9.3x62 can be loaded to "traditional" velocities for most hunting, but can also be loaded up to basically do anything the .375 H&H will do, or even the 250-grain .338 Winchester Magnum.

Plus, 9.3x62 brass will always be around--and even if none is handy, it can be easily made from .30-06 cases.

John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1234, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,659
Posts18,493,524
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.