Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Law would allow lawmakers to carry concealed guns into Capitol

HELENA � As state lawmakers on Monday considered hiring a police officer to beef up Capitol security after a congresswoman was shot in Arizona, a Montana senator has a bill to allow legislators with concealed gun permits to bring their weapons into the statehouse for protection.

At least 17 state legislators appear to have active concealed weapon permits, according to a Gazette State Bureau search of a state Justice Department database.

Senate President Jim Peterson, R-Buffalo, told reporters that legislative leaders met Monday morning and discussed the possibility of adding a police officer to their security. They made no decision and didn't discuss the possibility of adding body scanners or metal detectors, he said.

Meanwhile, Sen. Verdell Jackson, R-Kalispell, on Dec. 30 asked a bill to be drafted to authorize legislators with a concealed weapon permit to carry guns into the Capitol. He would extend the same right to Capitol security guards with permits.

Jackson, who got his permit in 2009, said he put in the bill to give lawmakers the ability to protect themselves in the case of an attack.

�I think what happened (in Arizona) is exactly what could happen right here,� Jackson said.

He said he opposes the installation of metal detectors or body scanners in the Capitol, but thinks allowing those with concealed weapon permits to bring their guns into the building would be a deterrent to attacks.

Utah allows legislators to carry concealed weapons if they have permits, Jackson said, and it prevented a potential incident there in recent years.

�Six senators carry weapons,� he said.

�They had a person who forced his way past the security doors. He swung open the two double doors and was coming down the aisle. He looked up, and six guns were pointing at him. He turned around and ran right into a security guard.�

Jackson said he thinks legislators with permits need the right to carry guns in the Montana Capitol because of threats they receive.

The lawmaker said he drew a number of threats for a bill to allow the state to revoke medical marijuana cards and for opposing a measure that would have allowed school curriculums to include children's books that promote homosexual families.

He is still working on his concealed weapon permit bill this session.

Under the first draft of the bill, any legislators or Capitol security guards with concealed weapon permits could bring their weapons into the Capitol.

The Kalispell lawmaker said he didn't think many lawmakers now have permits.

Jackson said he received hands-on weapon training in 2009 from Gary Marbut, president of the Montana Shooting Sports Association, and had to read several books.

He said he thinks those seeking concealed weapon permits under his bill should receive similar training.

These permits are issued by county sheriffs, he said, and applicants must fill out a form and provide character references.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
It's a perfect response to buffer the animated and irrational solutions proposed by the loopy left.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well Chuckie wannabe, What would Walker say ?

Of course they should....you forgotten 9/11 already ?

Were all CC licensed people allowed to carry, there would have been no 9/11, just a bunch of dead ragheads.

"an armed society is a polite society."

BTW did you know Chuckie was a USAF puke Airpoliceman ? On the AFOQT, the only people with lower scores than APs are cooks.

Newt-Condi 2012
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
As long as the voting public can too...

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787)

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i say if they can legally carry, they should if they want to.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Only if everybody else can.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ColeYounger

when do these phumducks get it??? the person is the problem...not the tool...

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787)

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

and no stupid permit required...

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215

My thoughts exactly, but it is a step in the right direction.

When are people going to realize that the only person that can truly protect you, is you.

And what part of "shall not be infringed" don't they understand.

Arcus Venator
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by CRS

When are people going to realize that the only person that can truly protect you, is you.

What's funny is most politicos who want to pack heat for their protection...probably don't want their subjects doing the same...(not talking MT politicos specifically)

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
"Guns don't kill people, people kill people."

I don't know the author, but it is dead on. Outlaw flakes like the perp with the Glock in AZ, who was a known nut case.

Wayne

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[/quote]

What's funny is most politicos who want to pack heat for their protection...probably don't want their subjects doing the same...(not talking MT politicos specifically) [/quote]

I think that might be what's known as pride in stupidity.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I think they should be issued a carry weapon and ammunition to train with. Why in hell anyone in a public position WOULD NOT want the means to protect themselves and those around them I'll never understand. It's very easy to imagine (conscious dream) a situation where having 2 or 3 good guys returning fire on the bad guy would be good. Just like airliner pilots. If someone in the Arizona crowd had opend fire on skinhead before he emptied that first mag there may have been friendly fire casualties. But I'm betting there wouldn't have been as many intentionally killed by him if he was put down early. Shootem

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds fine to me. The more honest (assumption :-) folks carrying the better.

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
+1

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm all in favor of legislators being able to carry in the state house......as long as any other citizen who goes there is also allowed to carry.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TBaker5390
As long as the voting public can too...
Right on.....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Permit.
License to do that which without said license would be illegal.

ie (aka) Permission.
Same root word. Same meaning. Same, same, same. It's like a hall pass from your high school teacher to go potty.

Follow me so far? Okay. Let's see here what we got. Law makers of a State (a State, mind you, with a Constitution which includes restatement of the Second Amendment... which is a restatement of a BIRTH RIGHT that long preceded the very concept of governments in the first place...) legislating unto themselves permission to do something that without permitting themselves said permission would be illegal. Of course this is if, AND ONLY IF, they have already sought and acquired a permission slip known as a 'Concealed Carry Permit'.

Have I got that right?
They're giving themselves the nod to do something, right? Something which has already been granted them by Lawmakers, right? Something that has already been CLEARLY stated in LAW as their RIGHT, right?

Is this even legal?

How long ago was it that this permission they seek to grant themselves was granted to them in what is commonly known as the Supreme Law of the Land? How many fricken lawyers does it take to figure this out and get it right.... at long last? How many times must this permission be sought and granted? At the risk of sounding like Gus, who's in charge here, anyway? Anybody know for sure?

Can we vote on it?
What of those who vote against it? Are they barred a right while those who vote in favor are granted the permission?
Do we need some lawyer to sort this out? Or have they already sufficiently convoluted the thing?

Only time will tell, right?

Maybe the NRA can fix it. Have they got any lawyers on retainer? Do they have any specific goals?

I'm shaking my head over here. Will someone please help me understand, beyond the customary obfuscation? Please help me in my quest - my persuit - of life, liberty and happiness.

Someone PLEASE pass a law already, will ya?
Let's get this settled.
We need to get this settled.
Hire some lawyers... STAT!

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
TexasRick,
The Texas state capitol building has an express line for citizens with concealed carry licenses. You don't even have to go through the security check. You just run your permit through a swipe card machine and walk right in.

Last edited by victoro; 01/12/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TBaker5390
Originally Posted by CRS

What's funny is most politicos who want to pack heat for their protection...probably don't want their subjects doing the same...(not talking MT politicos specifically)

over 80% of Montana homes have guns, concealed carry laws in Montana currently only matter inside city limits, outside a town and concealed carry is legal without a permit.....wouldnt think it would take much of a step for Montana to extend that to in city limits, not like getting a CC permit is hard in Montana, fill out a form, hand it to your country sheriff and they usually rubber stamp it and the state sends you the permit, atleast on the east end of the state.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (2500HD, 808outdoors, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, BALLISTIK, 12 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,496
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.