Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Mosby Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I had read a previous article with interviews from 3 of the 4 people who subdued the gunman in the Tucson shooting. I thought it odd that the 4th man wasn't mentioned in that article and just blamed it on bad reporting.

Turns out the 4th man, retired Colonel Bill Badger was shot in th head and then moved forward to subdue the shooter. So as it turns out this punk had his azz handed to him by a 61 year old lady, a 74 year old retired colonel along with two others. Gives new respect for the phrase, "Respect your elders."

http://www.azcentral.com/news/...-jared-loughner.html

Arizona shooting: Retired colonel grabbed Gabrielle Giffords shooting suspect
Wounded man recalls tussle with Jared Loughner
by Brennan Smith - Jan. 12, 2011 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

TUCSON - The 74-year-old retired Army colonel had gone to the shopping center simply to meet the congresswoman, U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords. He had corresponded with her through e-mail and respected her actions in office.

In less than five minutes after the colonel arrived, a hail of bullets began. Shortly afterward, Bill Badger was viewed by many as one of the heroes of the day.

Badger dropped to the ground, then felt a bullet graze the back of his head. But even wounded and disoriented, he was able help three others disarm and subdue the shooter.

Badger, interviewed Monday night at University Medical Center, credits his military training for his ability to respond quickly.

When he first heard shots ring out near the Safeway, Badger said, he thought he was hearing the pop of firecrackers meant to harass the congresswoman.

He saw no gun but could see the shooter's hand extended as he began firing on the crowd.

"By the time I looked over there and saw him, he'd already shot the congresswoman, the 9-year-old girl and the judge," Badger said.

He said the gunman then took aim at people sitting in a line of 12 chairs, waiting to see Giffords.

Badger said he dropped to the ground to avoid the fire but felt something graze the back of his head.

"I dropped down all the way to the ground, and I lowered my head about 6 inches. I felt this burning, stinging sensation right in the back of my head," he said.

Then the shooting stopped. The gunman had run out of ammunition.

Badger said he was disoriented but saw another man hit the gunman over the head with a chair. Badger said he then grabbed the shooter's left wrist and forced him to the ground with the help of several others.

Meanwhile, a woman identified as Patricia Maisch knocked a second magazine of ammunition out of the gunman's hand.

Badger said he got the shooter in a choke hold while another man forced his knee into the gunman's neck.

"The guy's face was in the cement, and every time he would move, I would tighten my grip on his throat and this individual would push harder with his knee, and all he (the gunman) said was, 'Ow, ow, ow, ow,' " Badger said.

He said they held the man down for about five minutes until help arrived.

Six people were killed and 13 wounded. Jared Loughner, 22, was arrested and charged in the rampage.

Badger said he had no idea how badly his head was bleeding.

"I didn't know the blood was coming from me because I saw all the blood on the sidewalk, the walkway from the store, on him (the gunman) and all over the back of my hand and my arm," Badger said.

After the suspect was handcuffed, Badger called his wife.

"I said, 'I've been shot, but I'm OK, and I took the guy down, but I want you to come over right away,' " Badger said.

Badger was taken to St. Mary's Hospital, where tests showed no brain damage.

He said he was admitted to the hospital about 11 a.m. and made it home about 5 p.m. Saturday.

Badger, a military pilot for 26 years, attributed his actions to his Army training.

His wife, Sallie, said the couple have been swamped with interview requests from hundreds of media outlets. She has even fielded an inquiry from the White House.

Badger said he gives more credit to the people who helped him Saturday than to himself.

"No, I don't consider myself a hero. I did what anybody would do. I think my military background made me react, and the timing was essential," Badger said.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Plus one on the thanks!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What's with this Jared Loughner? Escaped from a nut house shooting kids and women? Is he a muzzy?

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"He said they held the man down for about five minutes until help arrived."

Damn that must have been a LONG five minutes.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah! it must of been real tough not to finish him off.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The lady that wrestled the magazine away from Loughner, said the same thing:
"I'm no hero".
They are Both wrong!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
Yeah! it must of been real tough not to finish him off.

Or at least give him something to really say "ow,ow,ow" about.

I'm better when I move.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 18 invisible), 14,945 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,978
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.