Print Thread
Hop To
C
CoachG Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Can some of you guys who are experienced in food plot management give me a little help on what and when to plant. I have a 3 acre patch right now that I have year round access to for a plot it is currently planted with turnips peas and wheat, and surrounded by heavy woods and creek bottoms.

Last edited by CoachG; 01/13/11.
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Coach, in which state are you located? If you are in the south I'll try to help.

a wet bird never flies at night unless it has to
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Quality Deer Management Assoc. @
http://www.qdma.com/forums/
will definitely give you a bunch of info.

I've done food plots on my property in Georgia for 5 years. As Doo Dah said, if you are in the SE, I'll help also.

C
CoachG Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks guys im in Northeast Oklahoma.

Last edited by CoachG; 01/13/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depends on location and soil type.

Soybeans are always good if you can keep the deer from eating them up when they get a couple of inches tall. We plant NLT July 4th here.

I also plant iron clay peas in the spring (April or May). These are warm season annuals. They stand up to heavy grazing pretty good and the deer usually just eat the leaves, not the pods.

I use white clover in the early spring as well. They will be highest in protein into the early summer when the deer need it most and they will experience another good growth spurt after the temps cool in the fall.

The good thing about these 3 is that they put nitrogen back in the ground, which helps cut your fertilizer costs when coming back and planting fall crops such as wheat, oats or rye.

If you plant white clover, just leave it and keep it mowed 6"-8" in height. When it heads, it will re-seed itself and the deer really like the tender new growth that results. If you take care of it, you can usually get 3 yrs out of a clover plot.

JM

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Ditto what JohnMoses said. I know that is a good recipe around here.

a wet bird never flies at night unless it has to
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Coach

I am in the same area and took soil samples to the OSU extension office in Tulsa this week for testing. They gave me some ideas and suggested I read this publication while waiting for the results.

https://utextension.tennessee.edu/publications/Documents/PB1743.pdf

Even though the info was generated in Tennessee, they said most of the suggestions will work well in NE Oklahoma too.

They will test your soil and make recommendations for $10/sample.....I believe it will be more than worth it.

Cancer Sucks
C
CoachG Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
GonHuntin....how early do you see deer dropping antlers around here? I have pics of a good buck who has already dropped an antler and it seems early for that to me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think it's early too.....but, a friend killed a nice buck a week or so ago, just over the TX line from Ellis County (far west OK) and, when he walked up to the buck it's antlers had come off! So, you aren't the only one to see it.......

I don't have any cameras out on my place right now, so I can't say what's happening up there.

Send me a PM and tell me where in NE OK you are located......your profile still says Alva. I've spent some time in that area too.

Cancer Sucks
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by SakoL61R
Quality Deer Management Assoc. @
http://www.qdma.com/forums/

A great forum for foodplots and deer management. Use the search function and you will be reading for days.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always had the idea that sugar beets would be good in a food plot. I don't know why because I know nothing about a sugar beet and have never seen one. Anybody here know about them? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

196 members (257 mag, 308ld, 01Foreman400, 257 roberts, 2500HD, 160user, 17 invisible), 1,568 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,330
Posts18,505,931
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.