Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Someone mentioned the Civil War. It was a war in reality of two countries, not a true civil war. The north had more people, thus more manpower. They had a larger navy, more manufacturing, etc. They didn't beat the south on the battlefield initially, but with the blockaid, and splitting the south in half down the Mississippi kept wheat and cattle from Texas reaching the east. When we fought the Revolutionary war, only about 1/3 of the people wanted independence, 1/3 were loyalists, and 1/3 didn't know. As long as we gun owners retain 1/3 of the voting power, we can maintain our freedom and 2nd ammendment rights. We however must keep getting the 1/3 who are "moderates" to vote our way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

So my question is: Does anyone really think that gun ownership will protect you from a well organized government force?

It worked out well for the Americans during the revolutionary war. They won. England's military was certainly a well organized government force. America did not have a standing army before the war. They had a multitude of armed civilians who got tired of the tyranny they were living under, and that militia fought against the opressive government force. An army was formed, from the civilians, and (with the militia) they fought against this well organized government force and won. So, in answer to your question...it IS possible. One thing is certain though...had the civilians not been armed...they would not have been able to accomplish what they did.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mentioning the Viet Nam war and our American revolution as two examples brings up my view.

A guerilla war doesn�t work all that well against your own government. The two wars above were �won� because the foreign power got tired of fighting and left. You can nit pick the reasons but that�s basically it.

France under Hitler had a very active resistance, as did Yugoslavia and several other countries. They were annoying to the occupiers but as a strategic force were little more than mosquito bites. The Phillipines, Columbia and others have had ongoing guerilla wars for decades now but I don�t see their governments changing because of that.

I really am not sure when a guerilla war turns into outright revolution, but those work sometimes as evidenced by France in the late 1700�s and Cuba in 1960, even Russia in 1917.

I have asked this question on a couple of occasions, but here goes again.

Suppose there was a real second American revolution.

Who are you gonna shoot? The local cops? The National Guard? Would you (generically speaking) conduct raids on police stations and or military installations and take prisoners or just line up those who surrender and shoot them?

I know revolutions have occurred and who knows if Americans aren�t capable of doing so again. But what it takes is a charismatic leader to start one, and what happens after the revolution when the charismatic leaders are corrupted by power (as the Founding Fathers knew full well happens about 100% of the time) is just as likely to be worse than what the revolution tried to change.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just like a snake. Cut the head off and the rest doesn't rattle long.

"That's what happens when your leaders stop being an American and start being a politician." George S. Patton
What would Yoda do...your ass kick it he would.
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
German occupation in France is a not a fitting example to the OP question.

An armed citizenry is a chance not to let it come to having to oppose a full fletched war machine.

Hitlers Rise - SS murdering SA head personal in 1934 - could have been such an example.

Had a armed and organized (militia) citizenry existed it in tune with parts of the military might have been able to oppose.

Certainly not only arms but also organisation would be vital.

Arms and organisation could work.

Just organisation could not.

There is your answer.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was replying about our own troops. Whether or not they would attack citizens won't matter with foriegn troops to do the job.

Russian, Chinese and others train on our soil all the time and there is of course the UN. They get deployed to other countries for civil unrest why not here? We think it would never happen, but once we are disarmed.....HELLO Global gov't.

"That's what happens when your leaders stop being an American and start being a politician." George S. Patton
What would Yoda do...your ass kick it he would.
[Linked Image]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I enjoy studying recent history. Argentina's economic collapse, the riots in Greece, Tunisia and France. Look what happened to bring the citizens together and into the streets. In 'Nam, we beat the North militarily in every battle but still lost the war. Learn from these things and you would do well. There is political, geographical and other divisions in our country to keep us divided. These divisions are oft supported and encouraged by the media.

A big factor in everything is the second amendment. 200 million privately owned firearms is something that cannot be ignored or swept aside. Our forefathers were wise. Australia and England all but lost private ownership. That cannot happen here.

What can happen is limited use of the military against the citizens. Though illegal, it did happen at Waco and another time that I forget. It COULD happen again.

Did "Red Dawn" show what a PITA a few can be? The Warsaw Ghetto? The French Underground?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Plinker
I enjoy studying recent history. Argentina's economic collapse, the riots in Greece, Tunisia and France. Look what happened to bring the citizens together and into the streets. In 'Nam, we beat the North militarily in every battle but still lost the war. Learn from these things and you would do well. There is political, geographical and other divisions in our country to keep us divided. These divisions are oft supported and encouraged by the media.

No the moderates lost that war the people in Washington were too worried about getting re elected. They did it wrong and keep doing it wrong. Do what it take to win a war in 18 months no limits.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Linkey thing

"Progressive" historical amnesiac sez: "You want a gun so you can kill police or soldiers. Are you out of your minds?"
The Borg bleats, "Resistance is futile."

"Guns For Killing Cops and Soldiers?"

When discussing issues of gun rights/gun control, it amazes me how people argue for needing a gun to fight the police or the military. What you're saying is you want a gun so you can kill police or soldiers. Are you out of your minds?

Two hundred and thirty five years ago, armed resurrection was possible. Maybe even 100 years ago. But today, with the weapons the government possesses, it is totally impossible. The weapons that can take down a government that are threatened, that you should be fighting for are the internet, words, free media...

We're never going to be in a situation where using guns to fight police is a viable, reasonable or sane option. The fact is, we have to face the problems we face with ways that can actually work. Martin Luther King faced oppressive injustice and incredible corruption and won using non-violence. People owned guns in Nazi Germany. It didn't help.

There he goes, another collectivist extrapolating from his own cowardice again. Obviously he's never heard of the armed veterans of the Deacons for Defense and Justice who guarded MLK's saintly ass at night from the Klan. "Non-violence?" (Insert snort.)

"What you're saying is you want a gun so you can kill police or soldiers. Are you out of your minds?" The answers to those two statements/questions are, in order, "yes" and no."

[Linked Image]

This is Reinhard Heydrich. He was a policeman.

[Linked Image]

This is what his car looked like after Czech resistance fighters assassinated him.

These are soldiers of the Wehrmacht Feld Polizei after an entire village was wiped out in retribution. No doubt somewhere in this welter of dead innocents you could have found at least one believer in non-violence.

[Linked Image]

When police and soldiers conduct themselves as butchers of innocents, you bet your ass I want a firearm to defend myself.

This is an American religious community wiped out by federal policemen and soldiers of Delta Force on 19 April 1995.

[Linked Image]

Functional difference between Waco and Lidice?

Questions?

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back when the second amendment was adopted, it was a protection against tyranny. Citizens with muskets could stand against the armies of those days. The amendment lost a lot of effectiveness when the military and the police developed and obtained arms that citizens were not allowed to have. The weapons we do have would at least make a tyrant pay a price for his tyranny.

I'm better when I move.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I think that the will of the people to fight for the long haul is what it would take to win.
The U.S. had the largest weapons in RSVN and whooped the bad guys whenever they went head to head.The people that wage war got in their head that it could be done without a lot of innocent folks getting killed.It doesn't work like that all the time.
In other restraint is what doomed the war,as for the Russians in ww2 they traded people and land for time to get their act together.
In the places where people are free to own arms and know how to use them,I believe that they can turn it to their advantage and possibly win a type of peace.
As for the Cuba thing we supplied the weapons to Castro and then tried to oust him.The commitment on our part wasn't there,so we lost that.
Imagine what our fore fathers went trough in the years leading up to the so called civil war.
I can only see anything like that happening here if and when your VOTE is no longer valid.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by Monkey_Joe
Assuming a military that did not side with the citizenry?

We'd get chewed to pieces.

Fortunately, we are nowhere near that point, regardless of the chest pounding you see/hear.

There are so many that are tied to their big-city, high speed internet, collage football, country club, food wrapped in plastic way of life that the general populace would not stand the rigors of living like a gorilla... or a guerilla.

It is easier to be a guerilla when you have lived your life accustomed to dirt floors and rice - rice that you raised yourself.

Most of the ones mouthing that they would/could would probably be the first to fold.

A military that sided with the citizenry? The sky is the limit. I am not convinced that the US military would blindly side with the "state", to use a term favored by some of our weirdos. When it came right down to triggers and nut-cuttin - and assuming a just and popular cause - I'm not convinced that the typical US soldier would not be on our side.

Bravo, well said.

GTC
Not well said at all. In the first place, just in terms of manpower, we don't need the military on our side. Secondly, it is doubtful that the whole of the military would ever "side" with a dissenting force. Disobey or disregard orders and stand aside? Possibly. The likelier scenario is large numbers of troops deserting as individuals and units and changing sides. There are two things that could defeat the American people, lack of leadership of a resistance and inferior technology. A third wild card could be a force such as China siding with the bad guys. "Technology" isn't what is mentioned in the OP though, it is more like access to air power, etc. There would even be the possibility of the bad guys using low yield nuclear devices if things really got dicey for them. RPG's and stuff like that...big deal. See Red Dawn.

The American people defeated the most powerful Army of the time when we whipped the British. Then we defeated them again for good measure in the War of 1812. Defeatism...not this kid.

This all presupposes that there would be enough people for a widespread revolt. At this time, people are still sucking up the lies of the politicos. The last frickin' election was a joke. McClown? Come on. Much better than what we got but still not getting there. Think in terms of percentages with Barry being at like 10% of what we needed and McCain being over twice as good, say 30%. They're still both failing grades. I think America now grades on a curve.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by T LEE

Thanks for that link. History is a great teacher, isn't it?

I enjoyed this from that site:

"When Democracy Becomes Tyranny
[Linked Image]
I STILL get to vote."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They get a bit whacky there sometime too but mostly pretty rational.

If it ain't mine I feel the need to give credit to the originator.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Now you all know me, and you all know I�m as pro-gun as one is likely to find. But I would like to have an intellectual debate on the issue of civilian gun ownership as a defense against government tyranny.

In the Federalist papers (I used to know specifically which one, I think it was 9, but memory fails me), there was the issue of gun ownership and (Hamilton I think?) proposed the concept that the 2nd Amendment would protect the citizens. See, all the way back to the formation of our constitution the South was worried about the North having a standing army because they figured at some point that standing army would be turned against the South (I guess their fears were well justified). And Hamilton (if I have that right) said that the 2nd Amendment would ensure that the North could never raise an army that would ever come close to the numbers of armed citizens in the South, and therefore invasion would just a fool hearted gesture. Well as we all know, that wasn�t the case. So it would see that one of the primary reasons for the 2nd Amendment in the US completely failed.

Then this morning I�m reading a very interesting article in Foreign Policy which you can find here: http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2011/01/11/armed_but_not_necessarily_dangerous?page=0,6

Page 7 brings up the case of Iraq and how people in Iraq have always been not only armed, but very well armed; including Assault Rifles and as we all know, RPG�s can always be found in the Middle East (it�s like their trading currency ). Well, Saddam Hussein was very successful in oppressing from the position of being a minority (meaning he was quasi-Sunni, while the majority is Shia, and the rest are Kurd). Gun ownership didn�t save them from very heavy oppression.

So my question is: Does anyone really think that gun ownership will protect you from a well organized government force?
Sorry, but this whole thread sucks. First, you make some huge jumps in logic. You're as pro gun as anybody else? I dunno. I've never gotten that impression. Not at all.

Secondly, I'm not enough of a scholar to know all aspects of the Federalist Papers. There is no doubt that distrust of the North went far, far back in history. That said, during Hamilton's time, there were no "Free" and "Slave" states. Slavery was legal everywhere. It wouldn't surprise me if Hamilton was a slave owner-though I don't know. I've NEVER heard of the 2nd Amendment having arisen out of the conflict between north and south. You'll have to start about ten threads over the course of the next five years or so and educate some of us ignorant savages about the true intent of the 2nd Amendment for me to ever buy this. As it stands, your whole thread is derailed by your erroneous assumptions. I do stand to be corrected if there is evidence otherwise.

Also, like the man said, the 2nd Amendment ain't about duck hunting. If you don't have the right to ultimately protect yourself from those who would take away your rights as recognized by the Constitution, you don't have the right to own a gun under the 2nd Amendment. That's my reading of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SteveG
Without gun ownership, we will no longer be citizens but rather subjects.

It's not the armies that we need to have fearful of the armed citizen, just our Politicians.

agreed, if having the 2nd ammendment allows us nothing more than to die like free men rather than sheep to slaughter, it's enough imo.

and I imagine there's a whole bunch of dead folk that would have loved to have that opportunity.

think about it for a second, in the end we all lose, no matter what you accumulate materially, how deep folks love you and you them, we lose it all when we die.

it's how we live that matters imo, and that living includes those last moments to me.

even to go down in a hail of gunfire from a superior force, the "chance" to exact a price for such is something.

a chance is really all we've ever had that's of any real value. A chance to live, a chance to love, a chance to die with dignity or perhaps to prevail and live another day for another chance at any of the above.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Old cat turd!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
There are VERY FEW Sheep Dogs watching the sheep! We have become a nation of 'sheeple'; brainwashed into thinking that we can call 911 for help!

A revolt is out of the question; ain't gonna happen!! Rem M742s are no match for CLUSTER BOMBS!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
It worked out well for the Americans during the revolutionary war. They won. England's military was certainly a well organized government force. America did not have a standing army before the war. They had a multitude of armed civilians who got tired of the tyranny they were living under, and that militia fought against the opressive government force. An army was formed, from the civilians, and (with the militia) they fought against this well organized government force and won. So, in answer to your question...it IS possible. One thing is certain though...had the civilians not been armed...they would not have been able to accomplish what they did.
Big difference my friend. England had to sail very limited numbers of soldiers half way around the war to fight; our soldiers who number in the hundreds of thousands are right here. England had massively long supply lines, our soldiers supply lines are right behind them.

Turn it around the other way. Do you think any nation on the face of earth could successfully invade and conquer any significant ground in the US today? If by chance they got past our Navy which is highly unlikely, no one could supply an army with our soldiers having very short supply lines. Militarily the US is un-conquerable. With that in mind, the Brits damn near pulled it off, because they were a professional military fighting a very unprofessional militia. Our militia had no training, poorly equipped and would cut and run at the first sign of trouble.

Much would be the same today. An armed populace could certainly harass, but an armed militia standing toe to toe against the greatest military the world has ever known; it would be a massacre.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by T LEE
Linkey thing

"Progressive" historical amnesiac sez: "You want a gun so you can kill police or soldiers. Are you out of your minds?"
The Borg bleats, "Resistance is futile."

"Guns For Killing Cops and Soldiers?"

When discussing issues of gun rights/gun control, it amazes me how people argue for needing a gun to fight the police or the military. What you're saying is you want a gun so you can kill police or soldiers. Are you out of your minds?

Two hundred and thirty five years ago, armed resurrection was possible. Maybe even 100 years ago. But today, with the weapons the government possesses, it is totally impossible. The weapons that can take down a government that are threatened, that you should be fighting for are the internet, words, free media...

We're never going to be in a situation where using guns to fight police is a viable, reasonable or sane option. The fact is, we have to face the problems we face with ways that can actually work. Martin Luther King faced oppressive injustice and incredible corruption and won using non-violence. People owned guns in Nazi Germany. It didn't help.

There he goes, another collectivist extrapolating from his own cowardice again. Obviously he's never heard of the armed veterans of the Deacons for Defense and Justice who guarded MLK's saintly ass at night from the Klan. "Non-violence?" (Insert snort.)

"What you're saying is you want a gun so you can kill police or soldiers. Are you out of your minds?" The answers to those two statements/questions are, in order, "yes" and no."

[Linked Image]

This is Reinhard Heydrich. He was a policeman.

[Linked Image]

This is what his car looked like after Czech resistance fighters assassinated him.

These are soldiers of the Wehrmacht Feld Polizei after an entire village was wiped out in retribution. No doubt somewhere in this welter of dead innocents you could have found at least one believer in non-violence.

[Linked Image]

When police and soldiers conduct themselves as butchers of innocents, you bet your ass I want a firearm to defend myself.

This is an American religious community wiped out by federal policemen and soldiers of Delta Force on 19 April 1995.

[Linked Image]

Functional difference between Waco and Lidice?

Questions?
Play Twilight Zone Theme Here.

wink Just gettin' back atcha, T.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 54 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,840
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.