Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
We allus ate them in the fall when they were making. they quickly turn pithy and not good later in the season.

we'd peel and slice them usually, thin slices not quarters. cook them in with the mustard greens and turnip greens. some salt, pepper, red cayenne, and a bit of lard for flavor and lubrication purposes.

serve with the pot liquor, cornbread, pork of some sort, an onion slice if we had it, cooked dried peas and cornbread. it'll serve ya.

in fact, it's been a basic staple in the mid to late fall. our recent winter has layed the collards, mustard and turnip greens on the ground, flat. the roots are getting real pithy.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by milespatton
Cooked turnips freeze well, so cook up a bunch when you cook them. miles
But they taste so damned bad. Only way I can eat them is to mash them with potatoes and carrots. Of course it would taste better if you left out the turnips, but if you have to do something with them, that's something. The greens, however, are a delicious treat.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The last two years, wifey has gotten turnips in the spring at the local farmers market. Smaller and sweet. We had always eaten them in the fall when larger and more bitter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by milespatton
Cooked turnips freeze well, so cook up a bunch when you cook them. miles
But they taste so damned bad. Only way I can eat them is to mash them with potatoes and carrots. Of course it would taste better if you left out the turnips, but if you have to do something with them, that's something. The greens, however, are a delicious treat.

Well the first thing ya do is go out to the interstate,find a crack with a turnip growing in it..pull it,throw it away and then decide on what OTHER veggie you wanna cook!!

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like turnips. A lot. Wife cooks them but will not eat them. She won't even taste them when she cooks them, has me taste and tell her what they need. Asking my advice goes against the grain for her too. grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I slice and fry them just like fried Taters-- they come out sweet. ---Web

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by croldfort
Wifey boils them cut up/sliced in in water with sugar and a little salt. When fork tender she pours off the water adds butter to the pan and after a while she serves with salt and pepper. That's it.

We used to eat fresh pulled turnips, out of the garden, raw, peeled, and with salt. Smaller is less bitter.

This is how we have always prepared our turnips.

Thanks for all the new recipes. I will give them all a try.

Thanks again .. BP...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've got a large pot with two steamer baskets. Put an inch or so of water in the outer pot and drop a few garlic cloves in the water.In the bottom larger steamer basket I put slices of turnip, small carrots, celery chunks and on top of those go cabbage quarters. Good sprinkle of salt, black pepper and vegetable spice mix (like Montreal steak spice but vegetable mix).
In the top basket place several bratwurst, and fill the spaces between them with the brown mushrooms (crimini???)all placed dome side up so they don't collect water. Season sausage and mushrooms as per your preference but I will suggest some dill is very good on them.

Steam the whole lot for about an hour. At first it seemed odd to eat bratwurst that hadn't been browned but I actually prefer them this way.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
My wife dices them and sautees them in butter, with salt, and if it's just for me, a little Tony Chachere's..... I like em even better than sautees potatoes, but not as well as parsnips.

I don't like them mashed, though....

Paul
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Turnips YUM. I like them raw, in soup, with greens, mashed, roasted and any other way I can think of. Mostly raw, soup or cooked with smoked hocks or neck bones. Lots of liquid for lots of pot liquor.

Handgun Hunter no more. STILL LOVE THOSE .41's
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 2,807 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,736
Posts18,495,014
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.