-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I would like to replace the stock on my Remington 721 270. I've been told that it will drop into a 700 BDL stock with the 700 bottom metal. Is this true?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes, it is true with minor work... Most 721s have a donut on the barrel for the rear sights. You have to inlet for that. The 721 tang is not notched for the safety because the safety lever is set out from the tang. The 700 tang is notched and the safety lever is right against the flat face of the notch.

You can replace the safety lever and file a notch in the tang, or cut away some wood to clear the safety. I prefer the former...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
perfect. Thanks for the info.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You may also need to open up the notch for the bolt handle. The 72x series bolt drops straight down, whereas the 700 bolt is swept back slightly.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by lazydrifter
I would like to replace the stock on my Remington 721 270. I've been told that it will drop into a 700 BDL stock with the 700 bottom metal. Is this true?

So the answer is - NO it is not true.
It can be done - with some work, but it is not as simple as just buying a stock and screwing it to the action.

Telling him how to do it - isn't going to solve the problem, because all people do not have the same wood working skills, or gunsmithing skills - and so what is easy to one person, is practically out of reach for another.

My question would be - what is a reasonable amount of money to pay to have this option done? and how much would you charge me?

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
When I did mine I found that the magazine box was about a 1/4" tall so I had to grind off the excess - It took about 1-2 hours of fooling around with the bastard file to get the job done. It looks nice and I had the ADL stock on hand for gratis so I didn't feel pressured. RP

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Duquensebeer
Originally Posted by lazydrifter

So the answer is - NO it is not true.
It can be done - with some work, but it is not as simple as just buying a stock and screwing it to the action.

Telling him how to do it - isn't going to solve the problem, because all people do not have the same wood working skills, or gunsmithing skills - and so what is easy to one person, is practically out of reach for another.

My question would be - what is a reasonable amount of money to pay to have this option done? and how much would you charge me?

Anyone that cannot handle this incredibly complex task should stick to making incredibly inane comments on the internet...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Anyone that cannot handle this incredibly complex task
or correctly spell the name of their preferred swill...

W
W
I just finished installing a 721 in a 700 BDL stock
The only thing that required any relieving was were the safety is located. I had to trim off a about 1/2" down and some from inside, only enough so that the safety would allow every thing to fit flush and the safety lever would move smoothly

I would show you pictures of the installation but I don't know how to attach them here

I used a Boyds laminated stock

Last edited by wy_child; 01/15/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
722 222 in Synthetic pillar bedded stock with Shilen bbl and Canjar SS trigger. Shoots bugholes. Have also done two 721s in 300 H&H using the fancy Remington factory stock sold by Numrich that was made for a special run of 35 Whelens (same stock as shown in this 700 based 244 H&H Magnum).
Not a tough job and worth the effort.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Newt-Condi 2012
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've put several 722 barreled actions into short action 700 ADL and BDL stocks. As Sitka noted, there is some inletting to do for the tang, safety, bolt handle, and the barrel bossthat is found on most 721/722 barrels. If you use a 700 ADL stock, you can use the 721/722 magazine box without any modifications. If you use a 700 BDL stock, you need to buy a 700 BDL magazine box or grind some metal off the 721/722 magazine box so that it will work with the 700 BDL bottom metal. In most cases, I like to save the original parts, so that I can put the rifle back into its original configuration if the mood moves me at some point down the road. Since I use a lot of 700 ADLs as donor action, I keep a few 700 BDL magazine boxes on hand.

The inletting isn't hard to do if you have patience, some basic woodworking skills, and a Dremel tool. If not, any 'smith worth his NaCl should be able to do this work for under $100.

JEff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It can be done but unless you have some good expierence in bedding and restocking I would take it to a good gunsmith. I just put my grandfathers 721 into a CDL laminated stock I bought from Stockys. I changed the original factory trigger out for a new Mark-X Pro and notched the tang for proper clearance of the safety. I inletted the barrel channel in the stock to accomodate the factory wart. I did a lot of bedding prep work to the stock with a drill press and dremel AFTER I had the pillars properly epoxied in place. I then mixed up my bedding compound to a near exact color match to the stock and pillar bedded the action & full lenght bedded the barrel. I had 2 layers of pipe tape (Brownells) on my rifle barrel from about 2 inches in front of the recoil lug all the way out to the end of the stock. When I removed the barreled action from the stock and cleaned everything up I am left with a perfectly bedded rifle with a completly free floated barrel with perfect spacing between the barrell and stock including the wart. I am really pleased with the way it turned out. I'll try to post some pics after I get it out to the range tomorrow. 163bc

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 163bc
It can be done but unless you have some good expierence in bedding and restocking I would take it to a good gunsmith. I just put my grandfathers 721 into a CDL laminated stock I bought from Stockys. I changed the original factory trigger out for a new Mark-X Pro and notched the tang for proper clearance of the safety. I inletted the barrel channel in the stock to accomodate the factory wart. I did a lot of bedding prep work to the stock with a drill press and dremel AFTER I had the pillars properly epoxied in place. I then mixed up my bedding compound to a near exact color match to the stock and pillar bedded the action & full lenght bedded the barrel. I had 2 layers of pipe tape (Brownells) on my rifle barrel from about 2 inches in front of the recoil lug all the way out to the end of the stock. When I removed the barreled action from the stock and cleaned everything up I am left with a perfectly bedded rifle with a completly free floated barrel with perfect spacing between the barrell and stock including the wart. I am really pleased with the way it turned out. I'll try to post some pics after I get it out to the range tomorrow. 163bc

As promised here are a couple pics of my Rem 721 converted to a BDL. 1st pic shows the tang notched out for proper safety clearance using a new Mark X pro trigger & safety.
[Linked Image]
Next 2 pics are of the free floated barrel including the wart.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Pillar bedded action. [Linked Image]

BDL hinged floor plate.
[Linked Image]
Finished product is a sweet looking rifle origially purchased new by my Grandfather in 1951 smile !
[Linked Image]

I have all the original parts including the stock and I can easily put the rifle back into original format in 5 minutes or less. The only thing I cannot change back to original is the notch at the tang for the safety but it is hardly noticeable and is acutally an improvement. All in all I think it is a pretty slick rifle for being 60 years old!!! It is a shooter too and 1/2 inch groups are pretty normal with my handloads. If the good Lord is willing I plan to do a bunch more hunting with it in future years and my Grandfather would have wanted me to make it as safe and reliable as possible. 163bc

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 44mc, 2500HD, 35, 15 invisible), 1,618 guests, and 993 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,119
Posts18,483,570
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.