-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good info and advise in this thread. I'll be danged If you don't learn something new every day here. "cold-shortening" never even heard of that before, but the explaination was really good, very easy to understand and see how that can happen.

Love this site for stuff like that.

I really would like to build/buy some type of fridge for hanging/ageing. Never thought about talking to a local processor to see about paying to be able to hang for a couple of weeks at their place. Might be something to look into.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Of course I am talking about wild game. Domestic animals with a different diet and lots of fat content are COMPLETELY different. All the above techniques work wonderful. My uncle was a butcher, as is a good friend of mine. Those guys know their business and agree with my previous post. Aging does help some IF the temps are kept consistent for wild game. Most guys think "aging" in the carport or back yard tree is the "right" way to do it. The up and down temperatures are actually spoiling the meat/breaking it down...yuck, but hey, it's more tender ;o) Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I think it might be drying out, whether or not you're overcooking it. I always marinate in a combination of oil, spices and wine. Then get the grill very hot, turn it down to low/med, and do not overcook it! Idea is to sear and seal the outside of the steak and keep the juices inside. Mature bull, mature cow, young cow, doesn't matter. Works for me.

One more thing, if it isn't pink you've overcooked it! Don't care how you eat your beef, if elk isn't pink you better just keep cooking in a crock pot or something til it falls apart.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by Huntinut
For the last 20 years now I've not cut my straps or tenders into steaks. I leave them whole about 7-8" long, and when ready to cook I slice them lengthwise a little less than 1/2 way thru. Then I put Lawrys garlic flakes on it and cook med rare over hickory with the cut up first. Done this way you'll have a cut of meat with a wonderful flavor, tender and very juicy when cut open at the table. Bon Appetite!!!

Man that sounds good. I have a tenderloin left from this year's elk, gonna try that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I cut my loins thin 1/4" and soak them for 2-5 days in Italian salad dressing in the fridge. I throw them on a hot grill with the heat turned down. I cook them for a couple of minutes on each side. The thicker they are the longer they take to cook and they get tough. I always cut wild game meat thin, thin, thin, so the marinade can really get into the meat. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
IC B2

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,611 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,391
Posts18,527,781
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.