Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Currently shooting a Rem 700 XCR, I have Leupold standard two piece base and rings. Twice during the season I have found the ring screws to be loose. When I mount a scope I prefer not to have to worry about it working loose. Never had that problem with my Ruger Base and rings....they are bomb proof. So I am now looking for bomb proof base and rings for my Rem 700. What has worked for you....Badger ordnance? Millet? Talley? something tacticle? Weight is not a consideration. Ruggedness is.

Have to be OUT THERE!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dead Nutz mounts!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seekins

[Linked Image]

Last edited by fw707; 01/15/11.

"A world without string is chaos."
Lars Smuntz

[Linked Image]
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Talley fixed steel mounts are a favorite of mine and I have never had one come loose or a scope move in them.

Leupold dual dovetail are another favorite that is very rugged and worry free.

I'm hoping that my new William's steel mounts prove to be bomb proof as well; they should be. Similar to Talley steel mounts in their design but more streamlined and contoured. What a great looking pair of rings and bases.

Lots of options out there much better than standard rings and bases.

Good luck, Leftybolt

Last edited by leftybolt; 01/15/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GlennGTR
Currently shooting a Rem 700 XCR, I have Leupold standard two piece base and rings. Twice during the season I have found the ring screws to be loose. When I mount a scope I prefer not to have to worry about it working loose. Never had that problem with my Ruger Base and rings....they are bomb proof. So I am now looking for bomb proof base and rings for my Rem 700. What has worked for you....Badger ordnance? Millet? Talley? something tacticle? Weight is not a consideration. Ruggedness is.

DeGrease and then use ordinary loctite, and you will be fine...Some folks go for the industrial strength loctite, but its not really needed for this application..

Other than that, I'd recommend looking at the Dednutz already mentioned as they are a one peice affair with fewer joints and screws ect to come adrift...

Last edited by Pete E; 01/16/11.
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
just a thought, but after you solved the loose screw problem, the weakest link in your system are the base screws, probably 8/32, take a note from the tactical people and have them retapped for larger .

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Are you talking about the windage screws on the rear base? If so those suck.

Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
Check out S&K scope mounts.I have used them for many years. Great product.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I believe Pete pointed out the problem here. You need to either Loctite the screws or check them regularly. I've usually found that just degreasing and checking them worked pretty well.
I also agree that any mounts with a windage screw suck. I insist on Dual Dovetail's, Talley Lightweights, or even the better made Weaver style rings and bases.
Over the years, I've seen far more ring and base problems, which can also be from improper installation procedures, than scope problems. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you want bombproof, go 1 pc rail with inclination of your desire and either Warne, burris sig zee, or TPS rings.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeh get rid of those standard rings, Warne,TPS,and several others would be a much better choice.Warne bases and rings would only cost you around $55 I have set up alot of magnums with them and had no trouble.Leupold Mark 4 stuff is really rugged too but spendy and heavy.

1 and done
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have Talley Lightweights. They are great and make the ride in on an ATV scabar 1 hour each way. Didn't loosen up for a week according to my torque wrench. Buckfever1

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Steel Talleys, especially the replaceable ones w/o the levers. Two vice one screw at top. These are bomb proof.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of good suggestions with Leupold Dual Doves, Talley's etc basically anyone of them w/o the windage adj rear base will be plenty strong enough. No need to go ape [bleep] with half pound "tactical" mounts on a hunting rig. If you are really concerned about screws backing out or breaking, you could have the base screws drilled out to fit 8-40 screws and Locktite them. I've never had a base screw back out that was degreased and Locktite'ed prior to installation.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Talley LW's are stupidly simple and retard-strong. And cheap. I'm not bouncing rifles around on ATV's nor having horses land on them, but that said every rifle I've switched to Talleys has just been "done"- no muss, no fuss, no dicking around. Done.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Talley LW's bedded with JB weld, and red loctite on the screws.

You'll have to bend the scope in half to [bleep] that up.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I heard a bedding block will stop scope bending.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LOL!!

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Etoh
just a thought, but after you solved the loose screw problem, the weakest link in your system are the base screws, probably 8/32, take a note from the tactical people and have them retapped for larger .

Typically 6-48, which is gun industry specific. The upgrade is 8-40. I have seen rifles fall and shear all four of the 6-48s off! Well, I saw it once but that was enough!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
There is a problem with any "fixed" style of rings and base. First the holes in the receiver can be drilled off center. Second, the holes in the scope base can be drilled off center. The barrel threads in the receiver can be drilled canted to one side or the barrel can be bent from the factory. All of which can make your high dollar rings and mounts worthless.

You may run out of adjustment in your scope or have it maxed out to one end or the other if you have any combo of the above and I have ran into it on many occasions with fellow's at the rifle range. So much so, that I will not buy dual dove tail rings and bases with out the Burris Signature inserts.

The off set inserts in the burris signature rings can put a scope in it's optical center and still make up for the holes in the receiver or scope bases being drilled off center, or any other of the problems that are encountered listed above.

Some scopes have so much adjustment in them that many guys never realize they have a problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

190 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 1minute, 1_deuce, 280fan, 27 invisible), 1,442 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,844
Posts18,517,337
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.