Print Thread
Hop To
R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thinking of driving up to Calgary for the Boat and Sportsman show. Is there enough to see to make it worth the 7 hour drive from Montana?
Thanks

Fred

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That is a long haul IMO. Some more info on the show for you....

http://www.calgaryboatandsportshow.ca/

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Royce what are y'all looking for? This is very much a recreation and boating show. VERY little in the hunting shooting side of things. GRF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hi George. How are things? grin

R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
GRF
Looking for an excuse for a road trip, mainly, but also would like to look at some camper trailers. Perhaps some travel info. If it is a decent show with a lot of exhibitors is my main question. Thanks

Fred

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Royce;
I hope this finds you and yours well today Fred.

First off I have no idea about the show, but should you end up in Calgary with time on your hands.

The Glenbow Museum used to be pretty good. If you are like me, you'll want to skip up to the "mavericks" section on the 3rd floor and the "warriors" section on the 4th floor.

http://www.glenbow.org/exhibitions/permanent.cfm

If you've never been to Banff, you should head out to see the town and look around a bit. If you do end up there you might want to drive to the Banff Springs Hotel and walk around inside it.

http://www.fairmont.com/banffsprings/

They have some interesting shops in there, most of which are very high priced, but looking is still free.

Oh, they do have a wine shop there with a really good representation of Okanagan wines. It's the best one outside the Okanagan we've run across actually. While I don't know if you "do" wine or not - if that sort of thing interests you and I can be of any use, then by all means drop me a line and I'll do my best.

It's the wrong time of year to drive the back way through Kananaskis as I think the road is closed. If you do decide to detour into Longview though, there is always Ian Tyson's cafe - "the Navajo Mug" that you just might find interesting. wink

Hopefully that all was some use to you Fred. Have a safe trip if you do decide to head up there and again please give me a shout if I can help.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I enjoy the show, but it isn't the be all, end all of shows. We get American TV stations from Spokane, and when I see adds for their Show, I am envious. Way more firearms and hunting related than Calgary.

In Calgary, you will find lots of boats, lots of RVs and trailers, some outfitters, some hunting and fishing shops. Sometimes a few manufacturers (like Leica or Kennetrek) show up. Usually some demos and seminars by local outdoor writers. A way to kill a few hours, only you can judge whether it is worth a 7 hr drive.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have always found it totally bizarre that a city like Calgary has such a big boat show. If we were on the Great Lakes, sure. Southern Alberta? Bizarre.

From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information.
� Edward Abbey

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by gulo
I have always found it totally bizarre that a city like Calgary has such a big boat show. If we were on the Great Lakes, sure. Southern Alberta? Bizarre.

Its for all the oilfield workers buying toys to goto BC

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 260Remguy, 57 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,775
Posts18,515,691
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.