-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It would be a tie between a desert bighorn and a muley.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
My problem with the "books" is that the pursuit of making same makes otherwise normal people get all geeky about G1's or symetry and so on. I find it distasteful. Kind of disrespectful to the animal in general IMHO. The animal is reduced to a measurement of (usually) it's HORNS for Pete's sake.

The physical maturity and body size of the buck I killed this year were more interesting to me than the horns... which are hanging from a tree in my woods...

Well,mother nature is interested in the body size, general condition of the animal,as well as the antler size, because,like male birds with bright plummage,large antler size and body are the outward manifestations of the desireable traits that females are drawn to in the natural selection process of breeding.....

......and if you ever had a chance to watch breeding mule deer, whitetails and elk, at work at it, you would see that a good many showdowns between competeing males are pre-empted simply by a demonstration of superior body and antler size alone.

So if Mother Nature seems to think that large bodies and antlers are a good indication of the virile qualities of an animal from the perspective of passing on good genes,and maintaining a healthy herd,I fail to see how any of this deomonstrates any "disrespect" to the animal when we pass up a good many lesser bucks, looking for a larger, special one that meets certain standards.

The "books" that you seem not to like(Boone&Crockett)were originally set up to honor exceptional animals, and ther was considerable debate about whether the hunter/owner of a record head should even be listed at all..but nevertheless the "book" exists to honor the animal; not the hunter,although some hunters do manage to get this backward.

Setting standards has other upsides as well.....lots of smaller,younger bucks(bulls),etc., with great potential, get to grow to full maturity; your hunt lasts longer(may take years), and sometimes ends with unpunched tags(pretty frequently).See Scenars post above about going 9 years without killing.I've gone home empty many times myself,when i could easily have killed,but chose not to.This is normal....I don't recall "disrespecting" anything.

Where the disrespect comes in is when a guy dumps a splendid buck and winds up "disapointed" with the animal, treats it contemptuously because it did not "measure up" somehow....The hunter is delusional and insecure enough to believe his ego is somehow bruised or enhanced because of what he shot.I have seen this happen and it is not pretty.

I agree that sometimes trophy hunting can go "too far" with some people,that does not mean that it is in general an inherently "bad thing", or that it shows any disrespect toward other animals.

Meat hunter or trophy hunter, we all are setting a "standard" when we pull the trigger;both approaches are "good" and play a vital part in modern game management.

So, when hunters get "geeky" over horn formation, length of G2's,mass, etc, they are talking about known "standards" as a basis for comparing animals;a common language that allows others experienced in such matters to have a valid basis for knowing, generally, what kind of buck we are talking about;what the potential is in the area.

This is important lingo for someone trying to determine where to go on the hunt of a "lifetime",before traveling great distance, and at great expense.

Since you have only hunted once out of state,Jeff,have done no trophy hunting at all,you may not understand all of this;but clearly it has crossed your mind because you are planning to draw that special unit....as a suggestion you should learn something about getting "geeky" over mule deer antler development,and the differences between a truly mature buck and an oversized youngster, so that you don't blow that rare tag on a promising young buck, and rob that gene pool of some of its' potential.

Let me suggest that you are showing no "disrespect";the real disrespect will be for you to show up in that unit unable to know the difference between "mature" or "immature",older or younger..;nor will the animal be reduced to merely the measurement of what is on his head.

If this happens it will be your fault and no one else's...big mature bucks have bodies too,and produce lots of meat, frequently more flavorful and having greater character than young animals.Go kill some and find out....

... just a suggestion wink grin

Bob, Very articulate....and very "spot on".

Some of the very best wild meat I've ever eaten was from old mule deer bucks 6 1/2 years old or older taken before the rut. In fact I have one of those in my freezer right now along with a nice bull elk and three antelope....when I open the freezer I'm reaching for packages of mule deer meat! It's that good!

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by Steelhead

How bout horses?

One morning I rode by a boat(shored up) on a horse(gathering cows), made the horse run up a few stinger coulee's(like 300 times before) when we jumped two big deer.

Opening week and they actually stopped to look back.

I bailed, hit the ground and had a round chambered by the time they slowed to turn.

A stalk from the boat might have been a little sneakier.....(grin)

Sam and Scott;
How about both at the same time?

Seeing as how others have wandered off the garden path a bit here and there, hopefully I won't be banned for this wee hunting tale.

My ex-boss used to guide on the Peace and some of it's tributaries in northern Alberta. In the winter and off season he manufactured jet boats, from what I gathered very good and very fast jet boats.

His hunting stories were always wonderfully well told, but one I recall most often was when he was giving us an example of someone always being a bit faster/better than you, no matter how fast/good you think you are.

He was moving gear to a camp one fine morning, going along at a very brisk rate in his jet boat when he heard a horrendous roar behind him. He looked back to see another outfitter from up the river a bit closing on him quickly in a very large jet boat.

Up until that day he'd heard about this particular boat but hadn't seen it. It had been custom made for this fellow and from my understanding had a drop down ramp on the front of it, like a landing craft might have, to facilitate moving this chap's string of pack and saddle horses....

So it came to pass on this bright day that my boss was passed by a boat driven by a grinning fellow wearing a cowboy hat - with two saddle horses standing in the front of the boat, squinting in the wind.

I should add that this fellow was a raconteur of epic proportions and there was indeed no photographic evidence such a boat existed. Hopefully though I'll be excused if I continue to picture those teary eyed mountain horses in the bow of a twin V8 powered jet boat, attaining speeds they never thought possible - at least on water. laugh

To the OP, thanks for the thread, I've thoroughly enjoyed it and all the responses.

For me it would be a mule deer, either typical or non wouldn't matter a wit. In fact, I'd be happy just to see one someday.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boat hunting = road hunting, if only obviously.................

Your perspective is always so wonderfully narrow.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by SKane
Boat hunting = road hunting, if only obviously.................

Your perspective is always so wonderfully narrow.

Id use a Apache helicopter if it were legal.
And based on hunting deer in NW Ontario(shooting out of boat isnt legal) using boats to get from one place to the next, I think your odds of shooting a trophy deer out of a boat are slim to nill.
An Apache on the other hand might just be the ticket....

Not to be pissy, but it burns me when others try to impose their ethics on another guy. Kind of like the guys that spout off on how more sporting bow hunting is when the have wounded a more than a few using a bow.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dwayne, that's a great story as usual.

As far as "wandering," you're right, this is a great thread and my apologies to the OP for my part in the wandering, and the less-than-civil tone of my posts.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks Pat! smile

I have venison marinating right now from the buck I killed this year...because I cannot stay ahead of the mob that shows up here when I cook it.....

And the head is at the taxidermist....I passed a few bucks before I killed him. wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Without a doubt, it'd be a Dall Sheep. If for no other reason, than the beautiful, wild country I'd be in when I pulled the trigger.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Salmonella, unbelieveable bear!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!

Looks like mule deer might be winning. Add me to the list.
I killed a deer in the strip in 1996 that might make the book.Took him to tucson once to have measured and there wasn't an official scorer at the place i was told and they didn't know one so ended up taking him to SCI at the museum and they said he would be # 13 non-typical in their book. It would have cost around $100 to join,have him entered,etc so i didn't mess with it. How different are the scoring systems[sci and b&c]? I guess is doesn't matter much i haven't done anything about it for 15 years.
It took me thirty years to draw an antelope tag and i had a blast and killed a good one. I've killed a couple good bull elk{nothing better than hunting in elk country].
Nothing trips my trigger or boils my blood faster than a good mule deer. Whether its a big desert or a strip deer they didn't get that way by being dumb. I've seen some killed but seen a lot more get away . Still have nightmares about a huge typical i missed in the strip[he gets bigger every year]. A 270 loaded cartridge filled about 3/4 of his track.
Fred

Fourth Generation Border Rat
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
I do think B&C should list guides as well. Not taking anything away from the hunter, but there is no doubt that these guys help make alot of those kills happen on guided hunts.

JM

Yeah, but if they did that they would probably also want to list who plowed up the food plot, or who filled the feeder, or who put out the salt blocks, or etc.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B3

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I'll take a B&C Dall sheep with a Sitka Blacktail as a backup.
I'm pretty sure the odds are good that I'll get that book Sitka one of the these days but the Dall sheep is gonna be a booger.....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Yeah, but if they did that they would probably also want to list who plowed up the food plot, or who filled the feeder, or who put out the salt blocks, or etc.

I don't know B&C rules, so maybe someone like Bob could comment, but I thought the things you mentioned would preclude a B&C listing? Which is one of the things I like about B&C.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FAIR CHASE STATEMENT
FAIR CHASE, as defined by the Boone and Crockett Club, is the ethical, sportsmanlike, and lawful pursuit and taking of any free-ranging wild, native North American big game animal in a manner that does not give the hunter an improper advantage over such animals
Seems like B&C has given themselves, and the hunters who want list critters, a bit of latitude. IMO, lots of wiggle room in "improper advantage"...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
I do think B&C should list guides as well. Not taking anything away from the hunter, but there is no doubt that these guys help make alot of those kills happen on guided hunts.

JM

That would only bother a few uneducated idiots who don't understand the role a good guide can play.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No names at all would be better - it is all about the animal after all.

***And I have 4 animals that would be in the running - never officially scored and I couldn't care less.

Last edited by ranger1; 01/17/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be in for a gigantasaurus typical elk, followed closely by the same in Whitetail version.

I've hunted from a canoe for WT's - and I guarantee it ain't a walk in the park. A canoe gets you into some good areas that foot travel and animal recovery are a bitch at best, impossible the norm. Ever pack/drag a deer through a swamp? For a couple of miles? You only need to do it once before you figure out the canoe is a better idear.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Sometimes I wonder if B&C was invented as a means to find out where others were killing all the big animals..

If I had my own awards program, I'd just have the state where the animal was killed. Name of the hunter. Name of the Guide (if guided), and land status of where it was killed. (public or private)

I'd be pissed if I had a honey hole, and some guy lucked onto my spot, killed a booner, and then published the location of my honey hole in the B&C record book.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Calvin, Thats one of the reasons why I've only entered one mule deer. Believe it or not I still get an occasional phone call asking about where exactly I killed that buck....20 years later!

Truthfully I have taken quite a few great animals that wouldnt come close to making the record book...and many of those mean as much or more to me than B&C qualifiers I've taken.

Someday I would love to kill a 21" black bear...here in Montana. Probably the rarest and hardest to collect of the 10 big game species we have here. Over the years I've killed many old boars that made 19"+ but never a 20", let alone add another inch!! There has been only a handful of 21" blackies taken in Montana. It probably wont happen for me, but it sure is fun to dream about!

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I know some guys in my area who don't enter some giant Sitka Blacktails all because of the "specific location" part of entering it into the book.

For some reason, a B&C scoring western yukon moose is on my mind lately...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You really don't have to be that specific with B&C (or P&Y) ... just take a look at the locations in the B&C books.

Most entries from SE Alaska list just the Island, some list the Bay or the series of Bays or River drainage ....

If you want to go specific all you have to do is join Garth Carter's Huntin Fool.
"We cover the entire Western United States, with our information you won�t miss an opportunity. Each month features all the information you will need to fill out big game applications and choose units that exactly fit your hunting style and goals. You will have detailed information such as: kill statistics, hunt deadlines, hunt dates, number of preference points needed to draw, kill success for the past 1 to 5 years, odds of drawing for the past 5 years, size of animals taken unit by unit, and comments about each unit."

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 1,456 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,016
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.