Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm looking at subscribing to either Outdoor Life or Field & Stream so that my kids have something worthwhile to read that will hopefully encourage their love of the outdoors & hunting.

Which magazine do you think is better these days? Is there a better one out there with a cheap subscription price?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I enjoy the Sports Afield, "Sporting Classics"

F&S and Outdoor life are so full of adds and personally I hate reading about fishing. I do read both of them at work though

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A man can only stand so many How to tie a fly articles before going insane.

I guess fishing loonies love it, just like we love a good hunting article.

JM

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like Hunting by Petersons. It is new to me this year but has excellant photos and a lot of 2 page hunting articles, great for kids attention span. High quality publication. Buckfever1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Garden and Gun is interesting. I have always been partial to Outdoor Life and the NRA publications.

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Don't know where you're from, but there are lots of "(fill in your state) Hunting and Fishing" type magazines. Most of them have good articles for the beginner and casual reader.

The problem with all of them is that after 30 or 40 years it seems like everything you read you've seen before. But it will be all new for your kids.

Paul
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My favorite two mags are Sports Afield, which has become the highest quality and classiest hunting magazine I've ever read, and Rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
would say Sports Afield is the best one out there at the moment.....Sporting Classics is decent.....

other than Sports Afield i tend to newsstand shop when im out of town, especially at the bigger book stores and what i get depends on what magazine is running what article plus i can pick up the odd Aussie, Brit or African hunting mag too.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by sir_springer
My favorite two mags are Sports Afield, which has become the highest quality and classiest hunting magazine I've ever read, and Rifle.

Yes, SA has really come on, in the last 5 or so years. I don't take many, and I really like SA.

maddog

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
My overall favorite is Fur, Fin, and Feather which is a good oldtime no frills magazine.

Next two would be

Outdoor Life
Sports Afield

I enjoy reading as much outdoor content get out of control and now have subscriptions to 17 magazines (many will not be renewal this year).

Ted
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been toying with subscribing to Field and Stream,I also like to fish and some have had good ideas for survival as well. The magazine is "thinner" article are more to the point and fewer frills. I currently subscribe to Varmint Hunter, Predator Xtreme, Rifle and Handloader.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Sporting Classics....all others are fighting for 2nd place.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sports Afield

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Aonther vote for Sports Afield.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
He wants his kids to read it too! I think a magazine geared to the well-healed sportsman may not necessarily be the best choice (Sports Afield) Rifle is definitely not the choice for kids either. Of national magazines, I would flip a coin between F&S, OL and Peterson's hunting.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Fur Fish and Game ALWAYS has something to teach and typically has a good fictional story for kids to read in each issue as well.

Sports Afield is good. But if I wanted one for a kid, Fur Fish & Game wins IMO.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I get Petersons Hunting, Field and Stream, Outdoor Life, Varmint Hunting, Hunting Classics, Texas Fish and Game,Cabelas Outdoor Journal and probably 1/2 more but can't remember at present. Used to get Texas trophy Hunters for about 10 years too. but got sick of reading about high $$$$ Texas hunts. I think Petersons is a great magazine for the money. I have thought about Eastmans too but that costs more.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BarryC
I'm looking at subscribing to either Outdoor Life or Field & Stream so that my kids have something worthwhile to read that will hopefully encourage their love of the outdoors & hunting.

Which magazine do you think is better these days? Is there a better one out there with a cheap subscription price?

I would never subject my children to Outdoor Life or Field and Stream. Those magazines have turned into steaming piles of horseschit.

Travis

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You might want to sign your kids up to the Dallas Safari Club. They get a high quality mag plus a bunch of cool stuff at a great price. I think it was $25.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a magazine that has to do with the outdoors that could interest the hell out of kid though its focus aint hunting is Backwoodsman....all kinds of stuff to give a kid ideas for entertaining themselves outside.....alot of it is pertinent to camping and spending time outdoors....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (1234, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 42 invisible), 2,378 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,238
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.