-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I was given a set of old .32 Special dies my father had laying around so I figured I'd better by a rifle to match. I found an old M94, ordered some brass and some 170gr Speer Flatnose bullets. When the bullets arrived the first thing I noticed was the flat portion of the tip was much smaller than any factory ammo I've used or the 170gr Hornadays I load for my .30 WCF. The tip of these bullets seems to rest entirely on the primer of the next when loaded in the tubular magazine. Seems like a bad idea to me. I'm a little afraid to shoot it with the mag all loaded up. I would like to think the people at Speer know what thier doing though. As far as I know the .321 bullet is used exclusivley in the .32 Win. and they wouldn't make a dangerous bullet knowing what it would likely be used for right? So I guess what I want know is how pointy can a bullet be in tube mag. I think I'm probaly being over cautous but the alternative is not something I wish to experiance. Thanks in advance.

Matt
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Speer's 30-30 bullets are the same way. I was a little nervous the first time I loaded them. But I had no problems at all. The speers have the best BC's of the 30-30 bullets, but they do push the limit to get them. I have a mdl 64 in 32 Win Spl that was my great grandfathers. I haven't loaded for it yet, guess I should find some dies.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There was an article in a magazine not too long ago (sorry but I can't remember which one, but it MAY have been Precision Shooting or The Accurate Rifle?), about tube magazines and flat point bullets. The guy tried putting a FP, spitzer and FMJ bullets on the primer of a primed case held in a vise, and then hitting it with a hammer a good whack, and only the FMJ would detonate the primer. This isn't conclusive, but it sure surprised some folks.

If there were a problem with the Speers, or even a HINT of a problem, Speer woudn't be making them in this day of multiple lawyers lurking outside their doors.

He also noted that when actually under pressure of the magazine spring, the ctgs. actually lie at a cocked angle in the tube, and some FP's actually have the edge of their FP's resting on the primer, whereas the spitzers usually had their tips off the primer.

Just goes to show that these matters aren't as simple as we often like to THINK they are.

FWIW? Feel any better now?

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for your input. I do feel better. I was sure it was no big deal but better safe than sorry. Now I gotta try her out and she can do. If it shoots good maybe I'll take her deer hunting this fall.

Matt

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 3,035 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,617
Posts18,532,974
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.