-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have made it twice, but no photos. Second time was with gruyere and since alcohol is off limits for me I used white cranberry juice. My girls were home and the four of us licked it up as an evening snack. I used a baguette sliced on the diagonal in a large 9x14 pan. The bread got a little dark as the oven temp is a little hotter than the setting, but the crispy texture really set off the dish and the enhanced flavour of the darkened (not burnt) toast added another flavour level.

This was a really good idea Rob.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
GB1

After a bit of whining, MissT made another pan of this dish just for me. Whoa. So rich and tasty. Tonight we had leftovers at an impromptu dinner party (sans Fat Azz). Is it a keeper? I think so, but maybe just for special occasions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As soon as i can figer out how to post pic's from work....ate it last nite and 2nd's this morning, good stuff very filling. unless someone here wants to pm there email i'd send it and they could post...as work here at the credit union don't let their pc's get out much wink

Last edited by atvalaska; 01/18/11.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by skunkedagain
After a bit of whining, MissT made another pan of this dish just for me. Whoa. So rich and tasty. Tonight we had leftovers at an impromptu dinner party (sans Fat Azz). Is it a keeper? I think so, but maybe just for special occasions.

Just for the record, the whining came from Skunkedagain, who did not get to partake in the first edition of the onion casserole. smile

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This looks so good it's on this evenings supper menu, varied a bit.
I lightly browned half a pound of halved white mushrooms before adding the onions for preliminary sautee.

I substituted Liebfraumilch and Bristol Cream sherry (50/50) for the Bordeaux in the sauce. The sauce tastes wonderful on it's own.

The initial recipe has lots of possibilities such as adding browned, diced Italian or beef sausage, or chicken and making a one pan supper. Think this is going to be a favorite in this house.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I am posting the following pics and comments for ATValaska, he's experiencing some PC technical problems. Hope I get it all right.

Onion Dish Recipe

[Linked Image]
Onions sauteed in butter until translucent.

[Linked Image]
Dinner consisted of white potatoes garnished with carrots and parsley. Thick cut seven bone roast slowly smoked a day served in mushroom gravy.

[Linked Image]
Plated dinner (yummy) !

I served the onion dish last night to three adults with good reviews from all. I substituted sweet onions for 1/2 of the total onions called for in this recipe just to give it a hit of sweetness but not overpowering sweet taste. A question was raise as to why red wine was called for instead of white wine which is usually used in a white sauce. And lastly, one said that a little garlic powder could be used on the bread for their taste. But all said it was a great tasting dish, a good way to use onions and a different choice/variety of vegetable that they usually didn't think of when selecting a vegetable for the dinner meal. Also, all liked the fact that the dish was easy and rather quick to prepare.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Miss Lynn,
That looks absolutly delicious. I gained 10 pounds looking at it.

"That's what happens when your leaders stop being an American and start being a politician." George S. Patton
What would Yoda do...your ass kick it he would.
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Miss lynn thanks!!! for posting my pic's/ comments. Beers to ya!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
257wby Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Damn Mz Lynn, I'm commin over to eat at your house! That roast looks amazing!

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you do, you won't be getting that roast. She posted the pictures for atvalaska, as she stated in her post. You gotta get yourself up to Nenana for that roast! Maybe if you win the Nenana classic you can talk atvalaska into makin' it for you! smile

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
IC B3

257wby Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ahhh....you are correct. Kudos to atvalaska!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
257wby,

Your still welcome to come and eat at my place, you just have to decide whether you want to come while I am in Alabama or Quebec, Canada smile

Lynn

257wby Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Lets see....hmm...Grits or Nabob Jam??? How bout I stop at both places!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
So what's not to like here.....butter, onions, cream, wine. How could this go wrong? Short answer: it can't. You could cook up a road-killed cat in this and it would still be good. And the onions are really, really sweet. There is a lesson here..enough butter and onions and anything is good. My cardiologist could put his kids through school on this one.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
As luck would have it, myself and a number of brother Knights of Columbus were down at the Senior Center preparing lunch for the customers. Well, I guess on Friday's some of the local Panera stores donate a lot of day old bread to be distributed to the needy. Panera's signature doe is sourdough, which makes for very flavorful bread products. We, bag it up to be distributed to the needy, then someone asked If I wanted some baguettes, immediately thinking of this recipe, took a couple. Toasted it is very good.

So, I'll put this together today or tomorrow. Given the comments on the wine, think I'll go with either a desert wine or sauterne, probably the latter, hope that goes well. I'll probably also go with some unsalted butter. Hopefully, that will give the other ingredients a chance to shine.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Panera.....you must be from Pittsburgh?

"That's what happens when your leaders stop being an American and start being a politician." George S. Patton
What would Yoda do...your ass kick it he would.
[Linked Image]
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Nah, Panera's all over. Good stuff.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
We go to the Panera in Kansas City. Yum!

Wattsthis
"All I'm say'n is don't get old. You'll live to regret it"
John Wayne Movie...The Train Robbers
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What's the pastry that has almost mincemeat ingredients? Anyhow, it's goooood.

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I altered again today using a combination of butter/EVOO to excellent effect. I put rye bread without the butter, but it required a couple minutes under the broiler to toast. I think this is one of those infamous no fail recipes.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (10gaugemag, 308ld, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 12 invisible), 1,642 guests, and 954 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,630
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.