Print Thread
Hop To
B
bigbrie Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I had this a few years ago up in northern Wis. and I loved it. Was wondering if anybody had a good recipe for it and how to cook it. Thanks in advance

I don't feed em I eat em
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Mix 1 cup of self-rising flour with 1 big tablespoon of lard or Criscoe and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. After this mix in water till you get a good dough consistency. Let it sit for an hour or so. After this sprinkle with flour lightly and roll it into a thin sheet. Cut out whatever shapes you want and fry. Nothing to it. To make a sweet treat roll the dough into the sheet and cover lightly with honey. Cut, roll the pieces, fry and sprinkle with powdered sugar soon as they come out of the skillet.

a wet bird never flies at night unless it has to
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fry bread is like Gumbo. Who makes the best fry bread? Every Indian's grandmother. Life is good.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Fry bread.... comfort food!!! Great with a steaming cup of black coffee and good company.

μολὼν λαβέ
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Ain't bad with a cold longneck or a glass of muscadine wine.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
True that!

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is how I was taught by someone elses gookum. Put a couple cups of flour into a large ziploc bag, add a couple teaspoons of baking powder, some salt and shake to mix well.

Get your cast pan over coals on the fire and bring a pound of lard up to temp. Pour a little water into the bag and combine with water until a small ball of dough forms. I mean maybe 2 oz of water for a ball that fits in the palm of your hand. pat it round and 1/4" thick. Place in the oil and mix another dough ball to place in the oil. Turn the first over continue the process. and you produce one piece every three minutes or so.

Oji/Cree frybread

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Now you guys got me wanting a Navajo Taco! Fry bread, beans, sprinkled with cheese and smothered with hot green chile.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
B
bigbrie Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for the info I got a couple of recipes off the net and I'm going to give a try friday. Dosen't seem to be that hard. Cant wait to make some Navajo frybread taco's. I'll try and post pic's.

I don't feed em I eat em
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It seems like it should be easy, but I've yet to have it comeout nearly as good as the little old ladies at church make it.

One of the keys I seem to miss is getting the proper temp on the oil. Too cold and it comes out greesy, too hot and burns before being cooked through.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Put the end of a stick in the oil. when bubbles form and come off it is right temp. I got no idea what that is in measureable terms

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
B
bigbrie Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I read the hoter the better we'll see I seen them cook it over a open fire on u tube and I would think that is dam hot.

I don't feed em I eat em
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
It cooks quick, like in real quick. Keep a close look so you can flip before it burns. In other words, don't go get a beer after you drop in the dough. Be nice and get the wife or your dog to get it for you.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You guys are killin me...now I have to add this to my list of things to do this weekend! My Oma used to make this for me when she baked bread....best thing on earth to a youngun!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
Fry bread.... comfort food!!! Great with a steaming cup of black coffee and good company.

In the NW, in season, it's always great with huckleberry jam!

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Roundup
Originally Posted by TNrifleman

In the NW, in season, it's always great with huckleberry jam!

No doubt! Down here, the blackberry jam works well too. grin

μολὼν λαβέ
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Yep, and if you don't eat all the jam you can make wine with what's left. Wow, ain't life good.

B
bigbrie Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Well I made this last friday and finaly able to post. It wasant as easy as I thought it would be the dough was to sticky I think so I rolled them out with a rolling pin. the electric pan I used did'nt seem to get hot enough and they were a little tough. But the tacos were good and I will try and make them again forsure. smile
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by bigbrie; 01/29/11.

I don't feed em I eat em
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
bigbrie, Looks to me like you did just fine. Here's a little tip. If the rolling pin won't take to the flour properly it is damp, so use a wine bottle. A sticky dough doesn't stick to the glass like it does to a damp rolling pin. Uh, be sure the bottle is empty or corked.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

162 members (673, 450yukon, 06hunter59, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 69sportfury, 20 invisible), 1,332 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,976
Posts18,519,871
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.