Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
nemesis Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The first 10 seconds shows a clip from the Top Gun movie when Tom Cruise does a fly-by of the control tower.

The rest shows actual LOW PASS FLY-BYS.

Pay attention to the last one.

It is numbered (#1) and it happened during a Blue Angels event over San Francisco.

It was the pilots� last show and he had nothing to lose.

Many of the boats lost windows due to the sonic blast.

Some of these planes were probably no more than 10 feet off the ground.

Amazing (and stupid) but fascinating too.

GB4

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I can verify, driving on I 94 in Montana, and coming down one of those long dips in those gullies, in eastern Montana, and have a B 52 come flying about 50 feet over your head at about 400 to 500 knots, will surely make you wet or soil your BVDs...

especially when you see the A/C is below the level ground on the bluffs..

also have seen F 4s and F100s flying at high speed about 25 feet or less off the ground.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's only a still, but this is how I flew many of my 300 combat missions ...

[Linked Image]

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Worked with a couple of Navy pilots who lost their wings doing Fly-Bys. One had buzzed his mother-in-law's house.

He said it was almost worth it.

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Warning, rude language at the end.

Otto is my co-pilot.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those sneak passes at Fleet Week never broke any windows, nor will they ever. That would be the end of the annual Fleet Week, and probably of the Blue Angels.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll have to search but I used to have a video of a flyby at a college game that got the pilot's wings taken away. He literally was below the tops of the sides of the stadium.

Here it is. I remember reading the pilot got in serious hot water. On the second shot of it you can see the guys in the press box looking down at the plane.

Last edited by NathanL; 01/22/11.

Otto is my co-pilot.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Seafire
I can verify, driving on I 94 in Montana, and coming down one of those long dips in those gullies, in eastern Montana, and have a B 52 come flying about 50 feet over your head at about 400 to 500 knots, will surely make you wet or soil your BVDs...

especially when you see the A/C is below the level ground on the bluffs..

also have seen F 4s and F100s flying at high speed about 25 feet or less off the ground.

I was out with my dad hunting pheasants in southern Saskatchewan in the late 60's. We were travelling south on a gravel road at about 50 mph, crested a hill, and met a B52 flying north at about 400 mph. Scared the bejabbers outta us!

Apparently SAC used to do those low-level exercises all the time down that way.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rocky,seen that my times from all angles!!... wink

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When I first moved to Wyoming SAC used to run low level flights out here with B-52, B1B and F16. Had the schitt startled out of me several times. Could never prove it but sometimes I swore they did it on purpose when we were out working. Laughed about it after we cleaned out our shorts....hell I enjoyed seeing those birds!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I Got to do a flyby on "Evil Twin" once a long time ago..but it wasn't for fun!! grin

Woody
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Probably not, elk76. There's just no way to see a guy on a tractor (or whatever) at that speed and altitude in time to intentionally buzz him. Or see him as you pass over, for that matter. When flying like that you have to focus hard on the horizon, because your plane goes where your eyes go - and if you look at the ground just ahead of you ...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
eek

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by nemesis
The first 10 seconds shows a clip from the Top Gun movie when Tom Cruise does a fly-by of the control tower.

Used to be crewed with the guy who actually did those flybys, and the 'bird' scene. Went on to be a glider pilot for NASA.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NathanL
Warning, rude language at the end.

Best I've seen and good engine noise.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I was shooting rifles with a friend a couple years ago and we had this dude do a fly by. A grass 1,500'(?) grass runway is right below him. To my (the weirdo with his arms in the air) left is a shooting house that we shoot out of. We saw this big C130 (?) coming at us from the west, we jumped out of the SH and watched him fly by at a very low altitude. I believe he saw us, them swung around to the south and came up by us at maybe 50' off the deck, hit the end of the runway and them banked hard to his right, heading east again. Never to be see again......

I asked a few people if he could have landed on that grass strip and they said sure, but wouldn't be able to take off afterward.

I have another shot of him going by a second after this picture and you can read his tail numbers....I don't think I'll post that one!

One of the coolest sights I've seen!

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

[Linked Image]

You flew 300 combat missions in THAT!? Seriously? Unreal.

(just went to your bio page. Wow! I'll be buying / reading your books once I finish my current Baldacci)

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

[Linked Image]

You flew 300 combat missions in THAT!? Seriously? Unreal.

(just went to your bio page. Wow! I'll be buying / reading your books once I finish my current Baldacci)

You will enjoy every minute of them too. He is the quintessential BTDT guy. I can verify from his second book he really musta went on a Huey mission, described some of the stuff we did to a tee.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes I did, crockett. Most of them over Cambodia in that little gray plane, no national markings, in civvie clothes, no ID, and my right-seater was a NORTH Vietnamese captain. We got the REAL "Mission Impossible" speech about being disavowed. And that is no chit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any magic boolit encounters?? My plane looked a guy who just cut himself shavin with tiny pieces of duck tape instead of tissue hangin all over!!

Woody
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1minute, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,210 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,927
Posts18,479,845
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.