Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Have you guys looked at the new 2011 African 9.3x62?

http://www.ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeAfrican/models.html

I was glad to see it officially released, but unless my eyes deceive me, where did the barrel band swivel mount go?? I double checked all the new 2011 African and Alaskan models against the 2010 models, sure enough, looks like Ruger dumped the band and it kinda appears the African stocks are a tad more plain. Just when they get going good, Ruger cheapens the product, Dagnabit!! I really liked it when they added the barrel band on those models. Ruger, shame on you frown

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
This is just a guess, but I'm betting that's just an old pic. It even notes that the pic is not the actual firearm. My 375 African has the swivel in the stock, wish it had the bbl band.

GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Look at the 2010 Catalog still available on the Ruger Web site. The catalog pictures are all 2010 models w/ the band swivel. The pictures that were shown for the Alaskan and African on the site throughout the past year showed pics w/ band swivels same as the catalog. These pics were just changed over to the "new" 2011 models w/out band swivels. The pics may be the same old ones from a couple years back before they added band swivels, but why would they show those old pictures unless this added feature was now deleted.

It was a great idea to add this feature, I think it piss poor on Ruger's part if they dumped that feature.

Later smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GaryVA
Just when they get going good, Ruger cheapens the product, Dagnabit!! I really liked it when they added the barrel band on those models. Ruger, shame on you frown

Ain't that the truth !

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
GaryVA,

i dont think the price is more than 60$ so you can still do it.

this is what ill soon do for my "old" alaskan LH.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WiFowler (Dean) - wonder if Ruger has solved their "African" stock cracking problem? Hope their 2011 catalog pix's are wrong because I really think that barrel band swivel is good and functional...still hoping for a .416 Ruger "African". I know, I know...don't bet the farm on it. Regards, Homesteader.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The 9.3x62 doesn't kick as hard as you'd think, it's more of a push.

Not saying there won't be problems with a stock, espeically if you push the 9.3x62 wish can be done pretty easily.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Well, I sure hope they didn't dump the bbl band swivel. I would like to retro-fit my 375 w/ one, and I'm sure Ruger would sell me one, but I wonder about R & R'ing the front sight? would it ruin the finish? I've gotta say Ruger customer service was excellent. When I called to exchange my medium rings for lows, I also inquired about purchasing an additional crossbolt, as I wanted to add 1 between the trigger and mag box, and the lady said no prob, actually sent it at no charge

GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a write up saved somewhere on the factory process when they install the front banded sight. It is PITA to remove and replace correctly. I have purchased the entire sight package for a mkII 338wm to install on one that was without. At the time I was ordering the parts, Ruger said they offered the service to make the entire installation at the factory for $75 labor. This may have been around six years ago. I didn't want to ship the rifle to Ruger so I installed everything myself. It turned out well, but if I did it again, I'd send the rifle back to Ruger.

Don't know yet if the barrel band is dumped or if it is a mix-up with the website pics. The barrel mounted swivel is still listed when you pull down the "features" box. If it is dumped, I'm not sure if they would have the option to send the rifle in for an install. I sure hope it was not dumped, it is an outstanding feature that is useful on those rifles.

Later smile

- Clint Eastwood
GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, if the African 223 is new for 2011, I just watched a new Ruger video on that rifle and it does not have the barrel mounted swivel. So that makes me think it was dumped frown

- Clint Eastwood
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by GaryVA
Well, if the African 223 is new for 2011, I just watched a new Ruger video on that rifle and it does not have the barrel mounted swivel. So that makes me think it was dumped frown

Barrel band sling swivel......in place...

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I submitted a written request to Ruger on the band swivel mount. I further asked about any factory options to have one installed if it had been dumped from production.

- Clint Eastwood
GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Clarify, are you posting that the rifle in the pic is a 2011 African 223 with the barrel band factory installed??

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Exactamundo.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Great! Then I reckon igwe has resolved that issue, that the 2011 African does have the barrel band swivel mount smile Excellent!!

Which distributor or dealer did you get the 2011, and what do you think of the rifle?

Last edited by GaryVA; 01/23/11.

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Got mine direct from Ruger..but have seen them on hand at Acusport,Big Rock Sports...and a couple others..

Havent shot it yet...its cool..but its a heavy bish, and not practical to lug around for my usual .223 shooting...so its in mothballs.Maybe some day it'll be worth something NIB, maybe someday I'll just decide to go shoot the hell out of it...

I'm fickle, and my rationale for buying guns is fleeting.... grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ingwe - be honest here. You've Ruger .223 African and just can't wait until an enraged prarie dog or bunny wabitt decides to charge! Now, isn't that closer to the truth? Homesteader.

GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just to play it safe, I called the Ruger NH office and placed an inquiry about the band mount. They were unsure if it was dumped or not, but will call me back with a definitive answer.

As an added note; they dumped the service they had to install sights, and they do not offer any service to install the band mount on rifles without. This was done to cut costs. They did say the band was a well received feature for 2010, so hopefully they'll call back with good news for the 2011.

Later smile

- Clint Eastwood
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I could not see the Ruger Magnum bolt action. Search (on their site) for rifles in 375 H&H brought up the #1 and no photo of Ruger Magnum but clickable labels like specs, but they open a page where Ruger say ...no more...

GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'll ask when they call me back. I'd imagine that they are in the process of updating the website for 2011 as you'd think something like the dumping of the mkII Magnums would have made the press. Then again, I've often heard that Ruger actually loses money to keep the Magnum rifles in production.

- Clint Eastwood
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,666
Posts18,493,690
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.