Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
This morning I didn't feel much like XC skiing as I'd done quite a bit Thursday and Friday. Sooo....after pilfering through the toy box to find something to play with I saw my much unused Virginia fowler sitting their looking all forlorn. I haven't worked much with this firearm so I grabbed it and headed for the range.

[Linked Image]

Fowlers such as this are much more what was used in the battles of Lexington and Concord Bridge. Not rifles as is oftenwrongly assumed. This particular fowler, they were not yet called shotguns, is 20 bore, has a 42 inch barrel with the breech end being octagon for 12 inches up the barrel where the transition to round is seperated by a wedding band

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stock is of fairly straight grained maple but "back in the day" walnut was not uncommon. Single trigger, large Siler lock and iron fittings. This one was built by Jackie Brown and while his work is OK I can't recommend him, unless he's gotten his act together a lot better than it was.

I'm really not much of a shotgunner, much preferring rifled arms but when I first got the fowler I worked up a load consisting of 60 grs. of Ffg, two card wads, 1 1/8 oz of shot and the over shot card. Componets shown below.

[Linked Image]

I included the cushion wad and experimented with it but dropped it from the load as it was causing donut patterns. A not uncommon occurance with fowlers. These aren't long range smoothbores as they're all open bore. All patterning was done at 25 yards and I finally got to a modified pattern at that range. There are tricks that can be used to tighten the pattern and I experimented with a couple which did indeed tighten things up a bit. Plastic shot cups, plastic wads with the base cut off, worked pretty fair and I made some paper shot cups but never did get the right balance of slits in the sides for the paper cup to seperate from the shot column....and they're a lot of trouble to make. So I stayed traditional and learned to live with what I had.

In the old days wasp nests and hornets nest material was used for wadding. I have used it and it does work well. Problem for me is finding enough of it. I've used dried corn stalk leaves and they worked. Even killed a couple doves using them for wadding but that was with an original 12 bore percussion double gun, not a flint fowler.

Today I wanted to play with patched round ball and my load was again 60 grs. of Ffg with a .600 ball that weighs 332 grs. from my mold and a .020 tightly woven cotton patch. I am not good without a rear sight and sometimes not good with one! I was more playing than seriously trying to learn the gun so I fired offhand at ranges from 75 to 60 yards. I fired about 25 rounds and hit my 3/4 in. mild steel buffalo target 3 times. Two things I noticed....that big ol' pumpkin roller sure throws up a pile of snow and dirt when it hits the ground and when it hits steel makes a most satisfying thwwwwaaaaaaack!

[Linked Image]

Above at left is the .600 RB with the following size RB's following to the right: .530, .440 and .350. I haven't owned a 50 in probably 20 years so had no .490's to photograph.

I have done some accuracy testing with the fowler in the past and from 60 yards in it is fairly darn accurate with PRB's.....as long as I locate my head at the same spot weld on the stock every time. At 25 yards it will actually cloverleaf. As with any smoothbore your eye is the rear sight. Friends of mine have joked "sure it will....but the barrel reaches half way to the target so you're only shooting 12 1/2 yards". wellll....so what! hehe

I always like to find my patches and examine them to see how the bore likes the combo. Below are 4 patches I found before they melted into the snow.

[Linked Image]

This is how I like to see them. So intact they could be used again. And this with no swabbing the bore for the entire string. There are some advantges to a fowler.

Here is another shot of the fowler and beneath it is my 12 bore Pedersoli double. It is a fun gun as are almost all firearms.

I've taken a few birds and squirrels with the double gun and a few squirrels with the fowler. I have yet to try the fowler on birds but I want to start with something slow and close!!!!!

[img]http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq41/sharps4070/P1010080-1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq41/sharps4070/P1010087-1.jpg[/img]

I really don't know much fowler history as it's only in about the last 15-20 years that interest has literally exploded iin reference to them. There are currently a few very good books on them and their evolution but I haven't invested in any. I do know they were more prevelent in the more settled areas than rifles as hunting had become more of a sport than a means of survival, as in the frontier districts.

Anyway.....thought ya'll might like to see something a bit different.

Vic

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
here are my folwers
SXS flintlock 20 gage
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

hudson valley Fowler . 52 inch barrelas .
a note . this is a short barrel for this fowler . most were in the 60-72 inch range

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

this the first target for Ball and shot at 25 yards with my Hudson valley./ for wads i was using maple leaves

[Linked Image]

this was a later shot target same distance but i used fiber wads for this target

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/captchee/gun%20stock%20artical/DSC00952.jpg[/img]

Last edited by captchee; 01/22/11.

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
cap, that double flint fowler is exquisite. Excellent shootin' with the Hudson valley too!!!!

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
New England fowler.Fusil style stock. I actually like that stock.20 bore (.62).

[Linked Image]

Last edited by EvilTwin; 01/24/11.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
ET, that is one nice set up, every bit of it. Look at that trigger guard tang! Love that polled 'hawk. Oh, the plaid...are those your "colors"?

NRA Benefactor 2008

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any of you guys trying candle cartridges?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sharps4590
ET, that is one nice set up, every bit of it. Look at that trigger guard tang! Love that polled 'hawk. Oh, the plaid...are those your "colors"?

The coat is a classic Woolrich heavy hunting coat. Probly da best ever made. Warm and comfortable. Ya get to appreciate such things in this sort of place grin
[Linked Image]

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Smoothbores can be useful...
[Linked Image]
Caywood 12 gauge London Fowler, jug-choked to MC.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Smoothbores can be useful...

yep
here are some photos of our turkey camp that our local club put on one year

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

here is a small scaled down NW gun i built a young man a few years back . she is a smoth 45 cal

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Joshua_M_Smith
Any of you guys trying candle cartridges?

Really? Nobody?

Been considering a smoothbore, and would like to know how they perform with these, first.

Thanks,

Josh

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
ET, Woolrich is good stuff!!! I have a Filson that is a fine coat also. Love that red plaid!

Joshua, I'm not certain I know what you mean by "candle cartridges". If you mean paper shot containers, yes, I've experimented them.

Mesabi....that is a fine lookin' Caywood fowler. Danny does good stuff....nice turkey too!

cap, those Merriams are something special. Great set of pics and a fine piece for a young man!! I always wanted to play with a smooth rifle. Maybe some day.

Vic

NRA Benefactor 2008

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
the little smoothbore is a Trade gun and not a smooth rifle .
John has some health issues and the doctors say he will never grow any taller then he is in the photo .
we all hope this isnt true . but he is 10 now and still is no taller then in the photo .
his father tells me that John took a Turkey with the gun a couple years ago . but i dont have any photos of that .

Remember when your talking smoothbores that they were utilitarian pieces .
Not only could they shoot ball but also shot .
Thus not only were they used for fowl but also larger and small game

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by captchee
the little smoothbore is a Trade gun and not a smooth rifle .
Remember when your talking smoothbores that they were utilitarian pieces .
Not only could they shoot ball but also shot .
Thus not only were they used for fowl but also larger and small game

That hasta be the understatement of the year!!! grin In THIS neck of the woods back in da day,when you went to plow yer field, you loaded up buck n' ball and slung the gun and went to work. The natives were decidedly NOT friendly in this region. When ya wanted to supplement the larder, you loaded up shot charge and went hunting for the smaller stuff. Load up a ball alone and kill a deer of bear.

Last edited by EvilTwin; 01/26/11.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sharps4590
Joshua, I'm not certain I know what you mean by "candle cartridges". If you mean paper shot containers, yes, I've experimented them.

Vic

Hey Vic, I'm sorry. I thought it was common knowledge.

A candle cartridge is made thus:

1. Get a pipe the diameter of your bore.

2. Stand it up and pour your load of shot in.

3. Pour in beeswax, paraffin, tallow, or whatever, to just cover the shot.

4. Let cool and push out.

This is supposed to give tighter patterns (I've seen it compared once, and it works in that gun, anyway), and keeps you from having to mess with loose shot in the field. Just load the powder charge, put in an overpowder wad, ram the candle cartridge home, prime and fire.

Maybe this will be of some use to someone? Been trying to get a lead on a smooth barrel for my T/C New Englander just to try it.

Josh

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
cap, I apologize, I thought I read in the post it was a smooth rifle, obviously not!! It was early this morning...can I use that as an excuse?

I fire PRB out of my fowler a lot more than shot. I'm really not much of a scattergunner.

ET, up where you are, yes, the locals were decidedly unfriendly. For 30 years I studied the west and the wars out there. Then about 7 years ago I moved east a couple thousand miles and back in time a couple generations. The west has absolutely nothing on the east. Wow...did I get an education.

Joshua, I believe this is the first time I've heard of loading shot in that manner. Sounds interesting and as if it would do exactly as you describe. I wonder if there would be any lube benefit from it?

Vic

NRA Benefactor 2008

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Vic,

Well Sir, I would think mebbso. My patches are lubed with 50/50 beeswax/olive oil, but I only have rifles, too.

It's one of the first things I plan to try with a smoothbore, but gotta get said smoothbore first!

Please share your findings, Sir, should you try this out. I'm very interested!

Josh

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Man I have said it before and I'll say it till I go cold. There is enough of a difference between traditional ML and In-lines that the only comparison is they load from the muzzle and that's it.

Those rifles posted above are so beautiful and YET so very functional.

Thank you OP and the rest for sharing.

HaYen

Last edited by HaYen; 01/27/11. Reason: Spelling

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinCampfire Brudder Ha Yen, I have been wrestling wid meself to NOT bust yer stones on this BUT THE DEBBIL MADE ME DO IT!!!!
[Linked Image]

Them's ain't rifle guns, they is smoothbores grin

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
ET...I failed to compliment you on that horn also. Horns are about as neat as the rest of the goodies!!! Here's mine.

[Linked Image]

It's a map horn and the map is from a 1710 French map of my part of Missouri. A friend of mine made it....2-3 years ago. I believe he is now a member in good standing with the "Honourable Company of Horners".

Vic

NRA Benefactor 2008

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Good stuff there fellas them's some real muzzleloaders there!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1minute, 007FJ, 270cowboy, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,557
Posts18,491,741
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.