Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
101guns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I would like to send a Remington 700 stock off for dipping. In North La. Can anyone recommend someone reasonable? Thanks

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This place does great work and they are close to you, $85 for a gun stock.

http://www.madisonhydrografix.com/

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you do ship, here is one place: http://bellandcarlson.com/

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I will say one thing and then I will leave it at that.

Now I am 46 years old and pretty set in my ways.
I can honestly tell you that I have never owned a camo gun and I can honestly say that I have never missed an animal because my gun was not camouflaged.

What I can tell you is that once upon a time, a long time ago, a friend of mine struck upon the idea of camouflaging a gun he owned and we used it for hunting - until one day he actually shot something and then leaned it against a tree and forgot which tree he leaned it against.

There was no snow to follow his tracks back to where he had set it and so we had a pretty hard time finding it.

I believe that the camo effects are more for the cool factor then it is to make a person more stealthy.
Animals for the most part are pretty stupid.
The one exception would be my recently departed beagle dog Luke. All Luke needed to see was my Blaze Orange hat and a gun and he would go nuts - because he associated the orange hat and the gun with going hunting and if you was going hunting - he was going hunting also.

It didn't matter that the gun was a .22 and that you were trying to shoot a groundhog in the garden - he knew what a gun was and he knew what the color of a orange hat looked like and because he loved to go hunting - he knew when he saw either or - that something was going to get killed.

Deer and turkeys on the other hand, has very little interaction with humans for the most part and so they do not know what a gun is - there is lot's of sticks and branches in the woods that looks a lot like guns and yet they do not avoid one section of the woods - just because there is something that looks like a gun there and they don't want to get shot.

So the bottom line is - why waste precious money on having a gun camo dipped when you could apply that money to something more pertinent to hunting such as a good coat, dry boots, a couple of boxes of shells or a skeet thrower and a box of clay pigeons...

Do you get my point?

I don't think that having your gun camo dipped is going to make you a better hunter or more successful - but a box or two of shells and some practice might.
Don't waste your money on the cool factor - spend it on tangible things that will make you more successful..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Duquensebeer
I can honestly tell you... I don't think...

Could have very easily just used these eight words.

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

Animals for the most part are pretty stupid.
Dont hunt much do ya?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Camo Solutions in Arkansas

http://www.camo-solutions.com/

Last edited by PINEKNOT; 01/24/11.
101guns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I never begrudge a person for his opinion and welcome everyones. However, here is my story with this gun.

I picked up (no, I stole for what little I paid) a Remington Custom Shop Model 700 in .280. It came with the grey Kevlar stock. It is in excellent shape, except the stock had two rough spots and one very small divet in the Kevlar.

Several friends and I have discussed how to best (and economically) hide the defects. We were of the collective opinion that the camo (metal, wood, or other patten or design) dip would best hide the "issues" with the stock. Again, the bluing, actions, etc. on the gun is otherwise flawless.

So, I am not trying to doctor the stock or become a better hunter. Rather, an extra $100 bucks added to what I paid for the gun will still be a heck of a deal and will return the gun to a condition that a custom rifle deserves, instead of a "what happened to the stock" conversation starter.

Just my opinion.

101guns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P.S. Thank you guys for the recommended companies...nice websites and prices...thanks again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
once upon a time, a long time ago, a friend of mine struck upon the idea of camouflaging a gun he owned and we used it for hunting - until one day he actually shot something and then leaned it against a tree and forgot which tree he leaned it against.

There was no snow to follow his tracks back to where he had set it and so we had a pretty hard time finding it.

How drunk were you dumb [bleep]?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B3

101guns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
On the small indention, any opinion as to whether i put in some type of filler before dipping...I will ask the company. I was thinking the camo or pattern would hide it.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Some of the patterns are right slick. I am partial to the snake skin ones.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
There's a place in Quitman just South of Ruston that dips. I believe it's called Extreme Hydrographics.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 58 invisible), 2,523 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,331
Posts18,487,575
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.