Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Although I have rifles worth many multiples of the Savage 116, I still like it. For a knock around rifle to throw in the truck and not worry about, it would be hard to beat. And all SS and synthetic, it wouldn't rust (not very fast, anyway). With just a bit of care it would serve one well for many years.

DF

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by iptrny
Surprise, a Savage hater.

Must be tough to face the fact that Savage has continually improved their wares and are now beating their competitors in both quality and price.

Facts interest me,always have.

I can think of no Maker that's warranted more continual improvement,than Salvage.

Handy that [bleep] floats,as they make fair to middlin' life rings............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
I
I
Looks like you've probably shot a recent vintage Savage, which is what steers you away from comments other than vagaries.

People love to waste money but you have to spend double to beat a Savage.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Flinch
I built a 6.5-06, same velocity. I really liked it and wrote and article in The Varmint Hunter about it. It didn't do anything earth shattering, but shoot flat and accurate. I built a 7mm mag too and loved the longer reach with a heavier bullet. Both worked exceptionally well, but are far from equal. For target shooting and fun with medium game, the 6.5 rules. For serious big game and long reach, the 7mm is a better tool by quite a stretch. Never had any problems with "fliers". That isn't the fault of the caliber ;o) Flinch

One of the folks thats done the research and verified fliers is none other than G David Tubb....

I have yet to have my 7x300 wtby settle down to solid accuracy without a flier now and then too.....

Ask many competitive shooters out there why they are NOT running 7mm and the answer is unexplained fliers... 6.5 does not produce them. Why? I have no clue and why the 7 does I have no clue, doesn't make sense, but then sometimes target accuracy is more demanding than what hunters demand.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495

One of the folks thats done the research and verified fliers is none other than G David Tubb....

I have yet to have my 7x300 wtby settle down to solid accuracy without a flier now and then too.....

Ask many competitive shooters out there why they are NOT running 7mm and the answer is unexplained fliers... 6.5 does not produce them. Why? I have no clue and why the 7 does I have no clue, doesn't make sense, but then sometimes target accuracy is more demanding than what hunters demand.

I asked Butch Searcy the same question back in the 80's and he said the same thing rost says....with the same reasons....he did not know why but theorized it was just bullets;it being maybe more difficult to make target grade 7mm bullets.

Maybe important to match shooters in strings of shots,but I don't see the same tendency in hunting rifles,and have never observed this with hunting bullets;nor has it ever been an issue for ne with hunting rifles in 7mm.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Just a shame that you never use them wink

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Easy there, rockchuck, Big Stick may have sensitive feelings...

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by iptrny
Looks like you've probably shot a recent vintage Savage, which is what steers you away from comments other than vagaries.

People love to waste money but you have to spend double to beat a Savage.

Whooping a Salvage,is akin to sneaking up on a glass of water. Turd polishers gotta tell themselves sumptin' and that never ain't not funny.

You're on an Epic roll...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockchuck828

Just a shame that you never use them wink

Summons all of your Imagination and try to fabricate where you think I'm mistaken.

It'll be funny!...................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
been shooting a 7mm RM for over 20 years. Never had a wild flier that wasn't my fault... It shoots like this when I do my part.

168 Bergers @ 3040fps here at 4650 asl
Factory rifle

[Linked Image]

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good group. From your name, could we assume that your 7mm RM is a Sendero? I have a close friend who has Sendero's in .270 and 7mm RM. Both are tack drivers and he loves them both. Here in Louisiana, he uses the .270 most and is deadly with that gun. It's a bit heavy to pack around, but it shoots so good, he doesn't mind the freight. He shot a Pronghorn in New Mexico last year at near 400 yds. Antelope was DRT. Those things are easy to kill, not so easy to hit.

I see you're using Retumbo. Good powder. I've worked up loads with it for my .257 WM. It and RL-25 were the top two performers in that caliber. Looks like it's working pretty well for you.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Montucky 7 Whizzum..................

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, it is a factory Sendero, original model. Put an aftermarket trigger on it, bedded the action and had the crown trued up.

Retumbo is very temp stable and works well for me. Taken many critters with it....

85 1/4 " B&C speed goat at 386...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Sendero_man; 01/27/11.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Montucky 7 Whizzum..................

[Linked Image]

Ya pulled one..... grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I should go Decaf and try a bench with a rest sometime.

Hasty MPAJ will only do so much..................(grin)

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Sendero,

Great speed goat. Good looking hunting associate holding the big rifle.

Big Stick,

Fine 7 Whizzum group. What did it measure? Looks like .3" or maybe less. No telling what it would have been without that "flyer". What bullets are you shooting?

DF

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
7wsm seems to be the anomoly once you get in 7mm past 284 speeds basically.

But then again we shot at 1000 yards, 7mms are not the thing, and we shoot from 15 up to 22 plus shots that have to stay in a group...

I don't follow 1000 yard BR that much but IIRC you don't see a lot of 7mms in that game either.

anyone can post 100 or 300 yard groups, talking long range when you post composite 1000 yard groups thats where the issues manifest themselves.

Of course some folks are probably much better shots than David Tubb. Me, I tend to listen when David speaks. He's only a few national XC and LR champs under the belt....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
thanks Dirt...

that was 5 years ago... he is now 12 and hooked hard on hunting. He got his first goat and deer this year... many PD's and coyotes before, the boy can shoot !

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Nice video.

A rare day in Wy.? No wind??

Fun to watch the kids get hooked on this hunting and shooting stuff..you`ll have a partner for life.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rost, are those flyers you are referring to supposed to be limited to the 7RM or all 7mms?
I have not been seing any wild flyers from the guys running 284wins at the f-class matches I have attended. The 7WSM does not seem to hold any flyers with the heavy bullets as far as I can find.
I shot the best 1000 yard group I ever shot with a 7RM in a hunting rifle no less. Truthfully, it was one of them anomalies. I have never been able to repeat that group at 1K with anything. I did find the 7RM to be a bit finicky until I started taking more care with my brass. I have not had a problem since I started using a false shoulder and creating a crush fit when I fireform.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (1936M71, 007FJ, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,489
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.