Print Thread
Hop To
K
katipo Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Hi Guys,I have just brought a model 94 Wincester in .44 trapper.The gun was brought sight unseen through a out of town auction, its arrived alittle rougher than I had hoped but I can live with that as the bore is shiny and bright with good crisp rilfing.The problem is though I have pulled the hammer back to the half cock postion then to the fully cocked position, I can depress the tigger and ease the hammer back to half cock, but when I depress the trigger back to ease the hammer all the way home it wont move forward.I can recock it to full but not back to fully depressed.The other issue is dry firing it the hammer stops at half cock I dont think it will even fire a shot.Iam new to lever guns and only had a breif plat with a few in the past, am I doing something basically wrong or are these signs of something out of ajustment or broken, any ideas would really help guys as i have to decide weather to keep it or ask for my money back.thanks katipo

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Make sure you're holding the lever up tight enough to engage the safety behind the trigger. Then with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction dry fire it. If the hammer contacts the firing pin and then bounces back away all is as it should be. If the hammer doesn't contact the firingpin in the bolt, get your money back.
Also if its one of the safety models, either push button or tang, make sure it's in the fire postion, when doing your dry fire.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Katipo if it's a fairly new gun it doesn't have a half cock, the hammer will always be back from the fireing pin and if you depress the trigger and lower the hammer it will not go all of the way home due to the rebounding safety feature of the hammer. It will only contact the fireing pin when fired and then it immediately moves back from the fireing pin but this happens so fast your eye can't see it when dry fireing. It sound ok to me but the only way you'll know for sure is to try and fire a round through it.

...Justme
God answers kneemail
K
katipo Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Thanks for the input guys, yep it is a rebounding hammer, works perfectly, weird setup, sure catch me out, guess I learn something new every day...thanks again for the help

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,227
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.