-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
" ... a large gap is still left with me when Ken is thru dumbing something down!"
<br>
<br>"Dumbing something down?" Naaaaaaaah! Explaining. Clarifying. NOT for dumb guys.
<br>
<br>Early in his career, one of the two best Bible teachers I've ever known (Bob Mumford -- Derek Prince is the other) developed his ability to make spiritual truths crystal clear by teaching retarded people.
<br>
<br>One of my jobs at Saudi Arabian Airlines' Flight Crew Ground Training Center (Jeddah, 1984-1985) was editing the several editions of the Recurrent Training Bulletins for the Boeing 7xx series, the L-1011, and the Airbus -- for Saudi flight crews to study and understand -- including writing exam questions at the end of each article for Saudis to understand and answer for grading. Believe me, there's more to writing good test questions than you may first guess!
<br>
<br>By comparison, you guys are a pleasure -- including y'all who think you're dumb.
<br>
<br>The only real handicap I see here isn't innate inability at all -- but the insistence that anything new has to fit what you already "know" -- because a lot of what you "know" is not accurate. This is harder to deal with -- for you and for me -- than mere mental weakness.
<br>
<br>The sincere desire to learn is your greatest asset -- whatever your IQ may be.
<br>
<br>Years ago, a friend told me of an episode when he was working his way through the university as a janitor. Working nights, he picked-up a lot -- randomly -- by studying whatever had been left on the board in whatever class room he was cleaning.
<br>
<br>While he was cleaning one class room one night, the professor came in to get or do something at his desk. As the prof was leaving, my friend asked him about something on the board that puzzled him. The prof waved him off.
<br>
<br>"Oh, you can't understand that," he said (or something to that effect) and left. Then he came back.
<br>
<br>"It just dawned on me that my job here is to make things like this clear enough that you CAN understand them." He proceeded to explain, and my friend did understand.
<br>
<br>That prof was my kind of guy! And the kind of prof I always tried to be when I was teaching.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ken.....I think it was Mark Twain who said "It isn't what you don't know that will hurt you, it's what you think you know and don't"...true today as it was back then.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't remember that from Twain (my thesis figure in my Master's curriculum). He did borrow and use differently the essence of this quotation from Josh Billings:
<br>
<br>"The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much that ain't so."
<br>
<br>I think it was Billings who wrote one of my favorites -- "They say that love is blind, and that may be so, but I know some guys in love who see more in their gals than I do."

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think this is Twain or Will Rogers:" Nothing dumber than an educated man if you get him off what he's educated on." Please correct me if I'm wrong.It sounds more like Josh Billings.gene

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,444
Posts18,489,584
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.