Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I want to get a Kimber 1911 ordered in the next few weeks and want to keep the price under 1k. I have a good bud with an FFL so I will get the gun for cost.

So I have 2 questions;

1. 9mm or 45? Im leaning in the direction of the 45
2. Which model gives the best bang for the buck? Want checkering on the front of the grip too.

My application is home defence, probly never be used but....
And general shootin, 99.9% of what the gun will be used for I dont have a ccw and want a full size 5 inch gun.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

PP

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am in the .45 side of the debate. They do not need any expansion to make a big hole, lots of available supplies, gun was made for this round. With the steel frame longevity is pretty much a garantee with standard ammo pressures.

Although, the 9mm ammo prices are pretty attractive. I reload to make up the difference.

I picked up my Kimber (stainless TLE II with fixed night sights) last year after careful consideration of what I needed. I chose the SS as I am in the mid atlantic and near the Chesapeake Bay, probably going to coat it once I get a few thousand rounds through it to help even further. Everything rusts around here. It is mainly for defense and "Woods Bumming". It has most of the perks but the front mounted frame rail, which I did not feel was necessary. It has been a very good choice for me.
If you are looking other than stainless the plain old Custom II has a lot going for it, and at $828 MSRP you would have some money left for a decent reloading set up, or adding night sights. The Custom TLE II is the matte black version of my pistol with night sights, MSRP of $1044 would give you some nicer extras. You could still add a few extra mags and be under your price limit.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
45 all the way. Gun is designed to be a 45 and you get SO much more power, no reason not to. For home defese, definately get one with the Crimson Trace Lasergrips. If it is not for CCW, then I would stay with a 5 inch barrel. Easier to shoot and more likely to feed anything and everything without a hiccup. The shorter the barrel, the more difficult the angles for feeding and all. I was able to find a Crimson carry pro model for $900.00. If you look and shop such bargains are out there.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by safariman
I was able to find a Crimson carry pro model for $900.00.

Wow! thats a deal. Where did you find that? Was it on line or in a shop?

Thanks for the replys.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Get a gold cup.I love my kimber,but I wish I got a colt gold cup.thx

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To answer the question, .45, unless you want a young shooter or lady to get profificient with it as well.

And while I like my 10mm Kimber, I also think you'll have better luck with a Colt. The basic GM is well under $1K, and the XSE is around $1K, with extra goodies and novak-style sights.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
pass..,

I have a Custom Crimson Carry II. It does not have checkering on the front strap, but the crimson trace grip does help index the middle finger. All in all it is a very fine pistol with a laser sight (my eyes no longer focus on iron sights so well).

Were I to consider a 9mm, don't think the 1911 platform would the choice.

O

Too old to suffer fools
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
If it's not for carry, suggest the Kimber Eclipse II in .45. Super accurate full-size 45 with good night sights. Am very, very pleased with mine.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The Eclipse is my fave too.....veddy cool

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have a 9mm Kimber Aegis w/crimson trace. It's enjoyable to shoot & very accurate in my hands.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Custom TLE II, I've had one for awhile; outstanding gun great value.

Get some Wilson or Tripp mags & you'll like it........also available in stainless if you want to got that route.

MM

Kimber Custome TLE II

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
HERESY!!!! I can hear them shout.

If your primary purpose in buying a pistol is home defense, why are you considering a single stack .45 or 9mm 1911 clone? Unless you (and your significant other) are willing to put in a lot of range time (and you are willing to reload to cut down on costs) it would seem to me that the better choice would be a medium frame, fixed sight, .357 revolver, any number of which can be picked up (used) at most gun shops for waay less than a grand. A used S&W M13 with 4-inch barrel and laser grips should walk out the door for around $500 +/-, leaving you more than enough cash left over for a Mossberg 12 ga. pump (a real "home defense" gun), and enough ammo to get really good with the revolver.

Now don't get me wrong-- my carry is a .45 Colt Commander and the 1911 series of pistols are great (for the money I think it's hard to beat the Remington 1911) but unless you are willing to live with it, in a fumble-in-the-dark, bad guy in the bedroom, life or death situation, a revolver is probably a better choice.

Last edited by Old_Writer; 01/27/11.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by passport
Originally Posted by safariman
I was able to find a Crimson carry pro model for $900.00.

Wow! thats a deal. Where did you find that? Was it on line or in a shop?

Thanks for the replys.

Local Ranch and home supply store. Meant to type 990.00 but it was still a very good buy. Might have been mismarked as the high end laser sighted guns are usually $1300 or thereabouts when I see them. Really like it, will like it better when the feeding issues go away.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

Lets see ... I have a 9MM Beretta Billenium, 9MM Beretta Brigadier, 9MM CZ 85-Combat, 9MM Walther P-88 C, 9MM German Luger, as well as some other good 9MM 'Stuff'.

I also have a couple of .45 ACP pistols ... A Colt Model of 1911 WWI (replica) Carbonia Blued - and a Springfield 1911-A1 GI.

There are a lot of GREAT pistols dedicated to 9MM -

If you want a 9MM ... get the Browning Hi-Power.

If you want the 45 ACP, get the Kimber 1911.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by passport
I want to get a Kimber 1911 ordered in the next few weeks and want to keep the price under 1k. I have a good bud with an FFL so I will get the gun for cost.

So I have 2 questions;

1. 9mm or 45? Im leaning in the direction of the 45
2. Which model gives the best bang for the buck? Want checkering on the front of the grip too.

My application is home defence, probly never be used but....
And general shootin, 99.9% of what the gun will be used for I dont have a ccw and want a full size 5 inch gun.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

PP
I had one of there least expensive 5 inch all stainless steel guns, I forget the model. I very much enjoyed the pistol and it accounted itself well in accuracy and dependability. I would not consider a 9mm on the 1911 frame, that is what Glock's are for as their original frame was made for the 9mm. The 45 ACP is a few decibels lower than a 9mm, so you might regain some of your hearing if you have to shoot a 45ACP indoors. Personally I carry simple hardball in my weapon, it has accounted itself well in several skirmishes about the planet. I now have the commander length alloy frame Kimber with the laser grips as my needs are different, I really do not think you could wear even an alloy frame out in a lifetime of normal shooting and its a few ounces lighter which is good for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
go with a full size frame in the kimber,i've seen to many of the smaller framed kimbers that wouldn't cycle hp ammo very well.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by ingwe
The Eclipse is my fave too.....veddy cool

There you go, agreeing with me again.

This may make me question the natural laws of the universe... wink

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
10-4...

sticking my head out the window..

To check and see if the sky is falling.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by ingwe
10-4...

sticking my head out the window..

To check and see if the sky is falling.... grin

OK. let's see if we can disagree on something:

1. 22-250 is the best coyote round ever. Period.

2. Any male leopard-print attire is gay.

3. John Moses is not, despite popular rumor, the product on inbreeding.

wink

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
ANY leopard print stuff...???? whistle

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

446 members (16gage, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 160user, 1_deuce, 55 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,988
Posts18,481,048
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.