Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've fiddled with it and made some ok stuff, but nothing that really was great. I'm looking for something that isn't too chunky, but not just like liquid tomatoes either. Please to be posting if you make this stuff yourself.

War Damn Eagle!

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Boil 8 jalapenos and then cut the stems off.
add i can 15.5 oz of whole tomatoes.
1/2 onion and some garlic salt to taste.
Add cilantro if you like and blend to consistency.
If its too hot add a can of tomatoe sauce.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have been using this recipe for years. It is always well received. My Guac recipe is also darn tasty.
Salsa and Guacamole

Three large ripe tomatoes, pureed
6 plum tomatoes, seeded, diced by hand

Process together
One large onion,
One bell pepper
Serrano, Habanera, or jalapeno peppers, to taste

2 ounces V8 juice
Juice of two limes
Salt, white pepper to taste
Two Tbls. Olive oil
At least � cup chopped fresh Cilantro

Mix all together, let sit overnight if possible.

Guacamole

4 avocados, chopped course
Two Tbls. Fine diced onion
One plum tomato seeded, diced
One tsp tequila
Juice of one lime
Salt, pepper to taste
Fresh, chopped Cilantro to taste
One small Serrano pepper, seeded, and fine diced

Mix all together, do not puree, leave chunky

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
.280-

Are you looking for fresh or for canning? I've gotten to where I'll mix up my peppers/onions/tomatoes/seasonings, then puree about half or 2/3 of it and mix it back in with the rest.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Roma Tomato salsa (Salsa Rojo)

1 pound fresh (almost over-ripe) roma tomatoes
1 medium size white onion, peeled, quartered
4 garlic cloves, peeled
2-3 fresh jalapeno peppers (prefer those that have turned red), whole with external stem removed (3 for hot)
1 habenero (optional, for hotter), whole with external stem removed
1 fresh serrano pepper, whole with external stem removed
2 tablespoons veggie oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lime juice
1 teaspoon tequila (optional, but recommended)
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon tomato paste
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves

Ensure all ingredients are at room temperature.

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.

Poke a hole in the peppers and tomatoes with a tooth pick or knife. Place tomatoes, onion, garlic and peppers in 1 layer on a non-oiled baking sheet, drizzle the top of the vegetables with the oil. Roast for 20-25 minutes then turn the oven off. Let the vegetables continue to cook for 15 more minutes in the warm oven. Then transfer the roasted vegetables and any oil/juices in the pan to a food processor. Add all other ingredients to the processor, pulse mixture and scrape sides until well combined � 1/8 inch chunks (puree for chili). Let cool in the food processor for an hour then transfer to desired container. Best used after it combines and melds for a least 24 hours. Makes about 3 cups.

IC B2

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cheesy
.280-

Are you looking for fresh or for canning? I've gotten to where I'll mix up my peppers/onions/tomatoes/seasonings, then puree about half or 2/3 of it and mix it back in with the rest.

Good question.

Also, Jim and along these lines there are cooked and non-cooked salsa's a.k.a. Salsa Fresca/Pico de' gallo.

Preference?

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like to keep it simple - toms, onions, garlic, cilantro, serranos, lime juice..

it's important to learn to seed plum tomatoes. Get the juice and seeds out for salsa nirvana.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's me. Only extra I add is a little sourwood honey and vinegar. And red onions btw!

My sister taught me a trick at the beach. We had no limes so she added in some Mikes Hard Lime. It was surprisingly good. We also roasted/smoked the japs.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We didn't have to make it for many years.. Damn this stuff was goooood.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good questions fellas.

I'm making salsa like for chip dipping, like you'd get in a mexican joint. I like Pico de Gallo too, but I have a good simple recipe for that. No need to really can...it won't last that long around me.

've "canned" some, but not really...simply storing fresh stuff short term in a mason jar.

One of the things I have done in the past was saute my onions and peppers a bit when making it...but when I stored it in a jar, even for a short time, the onions got really sweet. I want acidy, a bit of heat, cilantro, and texture but not chunks.

I want it liquid with texture, not real chunky, and not pico de gallo.

I love cilantro.

Sam's looks real close to what I'm craving. Like I said, I've made some, and it turned out ok...I'm just fishing for ideas so keep them coming.

Sam, what do you mean "process together" on the onions and peppers exactly? How much processing? What consistency?

Last edited by .280Rem; 01/19/11.

War Damn Eagle!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got two recipes, depends on if you want a saucy salsa or a fresh chunky one.

Start by roasting jalepeno's in a skillet over med heat. I usually do a dozen at a time, and freeze the left overs. Once the jalepenos are blackened all over, put them in a plastic bag to sweat, then peel the skin. If you want a spicier salsa, include the seeds and core, if milder remove the guts.

To me roasted jalepenos and fresh cilantro are the most important ingredients to a great flavor, and you can't substitute them.

For the saucy salsa, put a can of stewed tomatoes in to a quisenart, add 1-2 roasted jalepenos, 1/2 bunch of stemmed cilantro, ~1/8th of medium onion and 2-5 cloves of garlic. The canned tomatoes have enough salt so no need to add any. Pulse the quisanart until desired consistancy, but don't puree.

For salsa fresca, dice and combine: 3-5 roma tomatoes, add 1-2 roasted jalepenos, 1/2 bunch of stemmed cilantro, ~1/8th of medium onion and 2-5 cloves of garlic, juice of 1/2 lime and a pinch of salt. It's best to let it sit in the fridge for a few hours to overnight to let the flavors combine. I've the quisinart with this recipe and it comes out too watery.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like to grill the peppers and tomatoes.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
you can't make salsa without cilantro.

and to me, there's no need to be fancy.

tomatoes
onion
pickled jalapeno
cilantro
lime juice

B
B
Thanks for the Roma Tomato salsa recipe. I'm going to make that for our superbowl party.

BINOCULARS N SITE: providing rugged Optics for dedicated Hunters

Binos & Rangefinders
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by .280Rem

Sam's looks real close to what I'm craving. Like I said, I've made some, and it turned out ok...I'm just fishing for ideas so keep them coming.

Sam, what do you mean "process together" on the onions and peppers exactly? How much processing? What consistency?

Jim,
I mean put those ingredients in the food processor together when you reduce them from big chunks to small pieces.
How small is up to you, but I like the pieces to be identifiable, not just a tomato colored slurry.

Sam......

.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sam, and all, thanks...

I'll let y'all know what I come up with.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Jim,

Try Del Torro's in Alabaster or Sol Aztecca's

Both have excellent salsa. Del Torro's is a bit smoother and Sol Aztecca's is a bit chunkier.

Both places have good food with Sol Aztecca's seeming more authentic to me and DT's being more americanized.

I've been eating at both places for over 10 years now, visting one or the other weekly. Very good food with great service.

Since we live in the same area I just thought I'd throw these out there, as I'm a fellow salsa hound and really like 'em.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,880 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,482
Posts18,490,208
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.